The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 27, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #661 of 6,351
Audiophiles: "Open back headphones have the best sound quality"

Also Audiophiles: "Best headphone ever is Sony MDR-R10"

And somehow literally nobody: 1603780431317.png
I think is like:

Also Audiophiles: "Best headphone ever is Orpheus HE-90 or it's second version" :relieved:

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #662 of 6,351
I don't listen to a lot of Rock, but I love the songs from the 80s and 90s, specifically ones from bands/singers such as The Scorpions, Bryan Adams, and Guns N' Roses. Not a lot of variety there, but damn, they were really good. :)

With that said, I've found the following headphones to sound really good with Rock (and Pop) music -
  • Denon AH-D9200
  • Focal Stellia
  • Sony MDR-Z1R
  • ZMF Vérité Closed
All of these headphones share a few common advantages - a lush, warm sound, a solid and focused midrange, excellent imaging, and precise instrument separation. A combination of these factors help create a sound presentation that is appropriate for Rock (and Pop).
Agreed. Listen to Rush's YYZ and Dream Theater's Stream of Consciousness with those headphones. The drums!

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #663 of 6,351

Also Audiophiles: "Best headphone ever is Sony MDR-R10"

And somehow literally nobody:
Interesting observation. Yes, the MDR-R10 is highly-lauded, and yet, it is a closed-back headphone. It must be the price.. or its unicorn-like status in the community.

I think is like:

Also Audiophiles: "Best headphone ever is Orpheus HE-90 or it's second version" :relieved:
Yet another unicorn. :wink:

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #664 of 6,351
For the people who have Vérité closed here @Nostoi , @Malevolent and I think @MakubexGB :

The forum user @OctavianH reported here little scratches in his VC just because he put it on the table a few times to take a break. Just to take into account to use always a headphone stand, even when you take a little break or your wife or children call you for something :wink: (thats happens a lot to me).

He has the open Vérités, I thought that was the closed ones (maybe I mental crossed the threads :wink: )

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #665 of 6,351
For the people who have Vérité closed here @Nostoi , @Malevolent and I think @MakubexGB :

The forum user @OctavianH reported here little scratches in his VC just because he put it on the table a few times to take a break. Just to take into account to use always a headphone stand, even when you take a little break or your wife or children call you for something :wink: (thats happens a lot to me).
Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Thankfully, I never leave my headphones lying about; in fact, I don't even place them on headphone stands. I just keep them in their respective boxes after use. I feel safer that way; plus, they don't accumulate dust.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #666 of 6,351
45 pages and not even a word mentioning Onkyo SN-1, Victor HA-WM90 :no_mouth:

SN-1.jpg

817UIlFouXL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #667 of 6,351
Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Thankfully, I never leave my headphones lying about; in fact, I don't even place them on headphone stands. I just keep them in their respective boxes after use. I feel safer that way; plus, they don't accumulate dust.
The scratches appeared just to put on the table to take a break. He commented that to me later in this thread (also Zach from ZMF commented that issue in the thread).

By the way, @Malevolent, are you interested in the Kennerton's products (Magni and GH)?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #668 of 6,351
45 pages and not even a word mentioning Onkyo SN-1, Victor HA-WM90 :no_mouth:
The Onkyo looks like it belongs by a fireplace in a log cabin... looks so cosy and natural.
Really nostalgic design and material choice.
Maybe a bit too 'ugg' boot for some people :sweat_smile:

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #670 of 6,351

He has the open Vérités, I thought that was the closed ones (maybe I mental crossed the threads :wink: )
Thanks for drawing my attention to this. I'm fairly clinical about my headphones, especially the ZMF, and always place them on their stand when it in use. @Malevolent is definitely right to box them. The box that comes with the Ltd VC is very nice but the internals are more rigid than the Seahorse case, so you have to adjust the height each time which I'd rather avoid. Would definitely bug me to see a scratch on such a beautiful pair of headphones.

In any case, luckily my 22 month old son doesn't seem to have noticed my stash of headphones in the corner of the lounge, even though I once put my old pair of Eikons on him for the lolz. I actually gave him a pair of Sony MDR-7506 as a diversion tact in case he gets a thing for my woodies.

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #672 of 6,351
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #673 of 6,351
Oct 27, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #674 of 6,351
I don't listen to a lot of Rock, but I love the songs from the 80s and 90s, specifically ones from bands/singers such as The Scorpions, Bryan Adams, and Guns N' Roses. Not a lot of variety there, but damn, they were really good. :)

With that said, I've found the following headphones to sound really good with Rock (and Pop) music -
  • Denon AH-D9200
  • Focal Stellia
  • Sony MDR-Z1R
  • ZMF Vérité Closed
All of these headphones share a few common advantages - a lush, warm sound, a solid and focused midrange, excellent imaging, and precise instrument separation. A combination of these factors help create a sound presentation that is appropriate for Rock (and Pop).
Would you say that the 9200 has some weight behind it? That's the one and only concern of mine, regarding the wp900. It would be perfect if it had some more body to it. Eventually I would like to procure that end of the road, dynamic driver headphone for rock music, including the bands you mentioned. The 7200 and 9200 are at the top of my list. I like the weight, size, and appearance. Though I'm a little concerned about comfort. Oh, one last thing - how does the 9200 handle poorly recorded albums? A lot of the groups I listen to are didn't have a generous budget to work with. Nostoi knows what I'm talking about.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #675 of 6,351
Would you say that the 9200 has some weight behind it? That's the one and only concern of mine, regarding the wp900. It would be perfect if it had some more body to it. Eventually I would like to procure that end of the road, dynamic driver headphone for rock music, including the bands you mentioned. The 7200 and 9200 are at the top of my list. I like the weight, size, and appearance. Though I'm a little concerned about comfort. Oh, one last thing - how does the 9200 handle poorly recorded albums? A lot of the groups I listen to are didn't have a generous budget to work with. Nostoi knows what I'm talking about.
Yes sir, that's because all the budget went on drugs :metal:(see especially Megadeth circa 1988)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back