The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #3,961 of 5,999
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3,962 of 5,999
Thanks mate!

I think it should be safe then. With the size of the M8, I don't think there's more than one (speculation) or if there are more, the total won't exceed 100wh for the whole battery pack. 

Mr M.Goodman, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Cheers!

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3,966 of 5,999
I  bought one of the first Centance M8 LX - As I have been travelling a lot - did not have that much time to burn it in or to try it with my HD800's; but I have some impressions to share with headfi'ers.
I bought my HD800's recon from Crutchfield and they are like brandnew. Dont know how many hours run in they have. Also have not done the Anaxilius mods. Have the templates, have the felt material just not had tiem to cut and fit./
Hooked up with a sikaflex toslink cable from my media player WD TV hub to  the Centrance M8 Lx - (Hey this model with the latest firmware is defintely bit perfect - up to 24bit 192khz)
Also tried my M2Tech Hiface 32/384 DSD/DXF dongle out of my Windows 8 Acer S7 Ultra book with Blue Coast and 2L 2.8Mhz and 5.6Mhz materials.
The Centrance worked well with both inputs

Tried my HD800's with the Centrance - you know the HD 800 sound signature. A little weak on the lower registers - even the bass + and  ++ does not make that much diffference..
The Mids are airy and nice -
The Highs - uumph... a little wispy - Not exaclty piercing or sharp in that sense. HD800 sound signature.....
Of course I did not use the treble controls

Sound Stage - is wow! The HD800's are already great. But with the Centrance M8 LX - sounds on left and right separate from the speakers - they dont clump  as a blokc around the ears. And they blend nicely from side to side say 1 -2 feet away to a few feet away from the middle of your face - ie a full stereo spread around your head 1-2 feet away;
Sensitive to ambience and background recorded cues in the music - You hear everything. Yes there is some low level noise on the Centrance .
Still Really quite magical

With the UE900's i felt that maybe IEMs not so suitablei with the Centrance-but i spent so much time with the HD800's so I willhave to listen with the UE900s more.
Also yet to try with my Audio Technica AD1000's

Will post again with more impressions.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3,967 of 5,999
Want to edit my post above. I use the Cnetrance with the USB out of my Acer s7 to play up to 24/192 materials. The M3 Hiface 32/384 was to test the HD800's without the Centrance.
Centrance works with both optical and USB great - up to 24/192
THanks

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #3,970 of 5,999
I've had a few days to spend some time with my new HiFi M8 and I really like it.  I think it will get more mileage than any other piece of portable equipment in my current stable.  Although this does not constitute a full review I wanted to share my immediate impressions.

The midrange and lush and detailed.  I may even describe it as very-slightly forward.  

The treble is light, airy and never harsh.  I think CEntrance nailed it with the treble.  It's arguably its best feature.

Now we come to the bass... Um, underwhelmed.  I'm by no means disappointed in the HiFi M8 but I do take umbrage with the lack of impact and richness in the bass from a $700 portable unit.  I'm a recovering basshead so I am biased but I just feel like I need a little more.  

All in all, I am 90% happy with this device which is a high rating for an obsessive compulsive Head-Fi'er like myself.  If CEntrance could focus a little more attention on better decay and texture in the bass area they would have a perfect device in my humble opinion.

Kudos to the folks at CEntrance for making such a wonderful do-it-all portable at their first attempt.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #3,971 of 5,999
Am I correct in saying that the M8 won't worked if just plugged into a PC?   You absolutely need to download the driver to use it?  I ask this because I would like to be able to use it at work, but downloading a driver onto my work PC is not something I can do.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #3,973 of 5,999
Am I correct in saying that the M8 won't worked if just plugged into a PC?   You absolutely need to download the driver to use it?  I ask this because I would like to be able to use it at work, but downloading a driver onto my work PC is not something I can do.

Correct, you need a driver for it to work.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3,974 of 5,999
I'm not reading this thread from the beginning again.  You won't make me!

Did someone say that the M8 can charge (albeit slowly) via the USB cable?  Say what?  That's not in any documentation I've seen.  Are you sure it does this?  

I don't use it every day.  I'm working overseas but I have to travel light.  If I don't need ANY power brick to charge it, that would be awesome.  Can anyone confirm it actually gets charged when it is off and connected to a power source via USB?

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,975 of 5,999

Did someone say that the M8 can charge (albeit slowly) via the USB cable?  Say what?  That's not in any documentation I've seen.  Are you sure it does this?  

I don't use it every day.  I'm working overseas but I have to travel light.  If I don't need ANY power brick to charge it, that would be awesome.  Can anyone confirm it actually gets charged when it is off and connected to a power source via USB?

Yes it can. Very very very slowly. When it's switched on, it consumes more power than is recharged though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back