The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #3,602 of 5,999

I initially used my M8 to drive the Beyer T1 (in balanced mode) when I first bought it. I had to set the M8 to high gain and volume to 3 o'clock to get to my descent listening volume. Then for a few tracks I have to set the volume all the way  to max level.

It made me think I really needed a desktop amp to bring out the full potential of the T1. I went on to try and audition 2 desktop amp. (Mjolnir & MusicFidelity M1) but to my surprise I can't seem to hear much difference compared to M8. (

It appears after barely a week of burning in the T1 it appears to have open up more and now I find the 3'oclock position too loud.

Now I only listen at 1:30 position and the SQ is noticeably better especially the bass, which is what I was looking for when I choose the T1 over the H800 (Price difference also another reason :) )

I kinda thought that was why Beyer brought out the T5p...

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #3,605 of 5,999
  Just got my M8 & I must say, I am very very impressed by this little beast. With some talk of the centrance house sound being very neutral & potentially dry, I was really surprised to find such a musical, hi-end sounding unit. This truly is desktop sound (& good desktop sound at that)  in an all in one portable box. With my Modded, balanced D7000's, it was really quite spectacular. With a far more expensive fully balanced desktop system to compare it to, I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I am. 
With the multitude of features the m8 offers & with SQ & musicality at this level, I can't see anything noticeably surpassing it for quite a long time.
Amazing job Michael. 

Thank you very much! This means a lot!

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #3,606 of 5,999
Guys I have a question related to pins actually not directly to the M8 itself.

There is a 4 pin XLR balanced and RSA type balanced output. The question is, is there a difference in sound between these two? I mean, I am planning to use it with my ciem, thinking about RSA balanced output could be better for me (Many people reterminate c/iem cables with RSA balanced type). Then again, in the future I am most probably get one high end can like HD800 or something. When I get new cables for it, if I use RSA balanced termination instead of 4 pin XLR, will I lose something on the sound?

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #3,607 of 5,999
  Guys I have a question related to pins actually not directly to the M8 itself.

There is a 4 pin XLR balanced and RSA type balanced output. The question is, is there a difference in sound between these two? I mean, I am planning to use it with my ciem, thinking about RSA balanced output could be better for me (Many people reterminate c/iem cables with RSA balanced type). Then again, in the future I am most probably get one high end can like HD800 or something. When I get new cables for it, if I use RSA balanced termination instead of 4 pin XLR, will I lose something on the sound?

I have actually been having my cable upgrades terminated in mini 4 pin XLR, because I also had short ends made to go from mini 4 pin to RSA, 4 pin XLR, 1/8", and 1/4".  RSA and 4 pin XLR are actually the same wiring configuration into a different shaped plug end, so I cant see how sound could be affected.  The RSA plus is far lighter the the XLR, so if weight is a consideration, RSA would win.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #3,608 of 5,999

I have actually been having my cable upgrades terminated in mini 4 pin XLR, because I also had short ends made to go from mini 4 pin to RSA, 4 pin XLR, 1/8", and 1/4".  RSA and 4 pin XLR are actually the same wiring configuration into a different shaped plug end, so I cant see how sound could be affected.  The RSA plus is far lighter the the XLR, so if weight is a consideration, RSA would win.

Thanks mate, after this information, I think RSA type would win for me.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,610 of 5,999
I've been lurking on this thread for several days. I'm new to HeadFi & very interested in a portable DAC/amp to use with my HD650s. After lots of research (and lurking), I ordered the HiFi M8 with the RSA connecter, then changed my mind and sent an email this morning to change it to 4pin XLR. I was amazed to be cc:ed on a response in a very short time from Michel Goodman himself instructing his staff to make the change on my order. This is outstanding service, especially on a Sunday. I'm stoked and can't wait for my M8 to show up. I chose the iDevice version of the HiFi M8 since I have a MacBook Pro, iPod touch and an older iPod classic 40G that still going strong. I just love my toys.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #3,611 of 5,999
I've been lurking on this thread for several days. I'm new to HeadFi & very interested in a portable DAC/amp to use with my HD650s. After lots of research (and lurking), I ordered the HiFi M8 with the RSA connecter, then changed my mind and sent an email this morning to change it to 4pin XLR. I was amazed to be cc:ed on a response in a very short time from Michel Goodman himself instructing his staff to make the change on my order. This is outstanding service, especially on a Sunday. I'm stoked and can't wait for my M8 to show up. I chose the iDevice version of the HiFi M8 since I have a MacBook Pro, iPod touch and an older iPod classic 40G that still going strong. I just love my toys.

I love the HIFI-M8 with the Hd650's. Really outstanding. I have the same configuration. I don't know if the older classics are supported. The newer ones with the black or silver front work for sure.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,612 of 5,999

EXCELLENT choice! Congrats!
I've been using my HiFi-M8 (XL4 edition) with my MacBook Pro/Amarra rig + my iPhone 4S, iPod Classic, and iPod Touch (new)
and havin' a BLAST!!  I was kidding in my review (HERE) - I'm totally addicted to this rig.

and Michael and his team are FIRST-RATE

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,613 of 5,999
Large and strong XLR vs Small and weak(?) RSA is a hard choice.

Mini XLR would be a great middle ground.

I did see this RSA plus RSA adapter to 3.5mm at our Tokyo mini meet the other week....

ura9y9uj.jpg

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #3,615 of 5,999

+1. Me too!

Now if the thing would only get shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back