The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,619 of 5,999
My take is the xlr vs rsa choice hinges on if you will pair it primarily with fullsize (go with xlr) or with IEM (go with rsa).

Personally if I would need both then the xlr on the M8 LX makes more sense as it seems a xlr to rsa converter would be more secured and durable if the heavy xlr end is attached to the unit rather than the cable side.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #3,621 of 5,999
Something like this?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670259/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-iem-extension-adapter-cable-6-mini-4-pin-xlr-female-to-rsa-male

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,622 of 5,999
Large and strong XLR vs Small and weak(?) RSA is a hard choice.

Mini XLR would be a great middle ground.

I did see this RSA plus RSA adapter to 3.5mm at our Tokyo mini meet the other week....

RSA is weak? I am not sure about it. I didn't use one yet, but the connector seems quite durable actually.

Anyone have any problems with that?

I find XLR is way too big for c/iem users honestly.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #3,623 of 5,999
I was tossing up the same question. But as earlier posters said it seems like XL4 is the standard for most headphones (the ones I want anyway) so it made more sense to go with that.

But yeah I'd also prefer a single 4-pin mini XLR to either current option

Quote:
My take is the xlr vs rsa choice hinges on if you will pair it primarily with fullsize (go with xlr) or with IEM (go with rsa).

Personally if I would need both then the xlr on the M8 LX makes more sense as it seems a xlr to rsa converter would be more secured and durable if the heavy xlr end is attached to the unit rather than the cable side.

Good point

If you need an adapter you could make one for about $30 in parts (gold plated neutrik + Canare L4E6S).. that's what i'd do anyway :)

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #3,625 of 5,999
A 4XLR to 3.5mm adapter would great. But i guess electronically it wouldn't be feasible...

It's technically possible but kinda pointless on the M8.

The wiring would be the same as a 1/4" plug: http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/11/balanced-to-single-ended-heaphone.html

But it's an unbalanced signal so you might as well use the SE output of the M8

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #3,626 of 5,999
  RSA is weak? I am not sure about it. I didn't use one yet, but the connector seems quite durable actually.

Anyone have any problems with that?

I find XLR is way too big for c/iem users honestly.

My CLAS-db/Rx Mk3 stack is full of RSA connectors.  Not even a remote issue with them.  These connectors were first developed for pro photography, so I'm not too worried...

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #3,627 of 5,999
Large and strong XLR vs Small and weak(?) RSA is a hard choice.

Mini XLR would be a great middle ground.

I did see this RSA plus RSA adapter to 3.5mm at our Tokyo mini meet the other week....

ura9y9uj.jpg

Ray Samuels would pop a blood vessel if he saw that.  He is strongly against those, because he believes they would short his portable amps.  Most likely unique to his stuff, but still worth noting...

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #3,628 of 5,999
I think u can make adapter to convert from rsa to 3.5mm SE, but never the other way around.

I use rsa to 3.5mm adapter before with no issue...

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #3,629 of 5,999
I think u can make adapter to convert from rsa to 3.5mm SE, but never the other way around.

I use rsa to 3.5mm adapter before with no issue...

To quote Ray's page on his new F-35 Lightning amp, which is balanced output only:

"WARNING…

The F-35 comes with ONLY balanced output connector. It has no 3.5 mm SE output. NEVER EVER short the balanced output pins to create a single ended output. Using an adapter to convert the balanced output plug to single ended plug will over heat the buffers and burn the output stage. This act will NOT be covered under warranty. The F-35 should ONLY be used as balanced output."

Again, I don't have the technical expertise.  But I tend to trust what Ray puts out there....

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #3,630 of 5,999
I think what he meant was a "single ended female to rsa male adapter" which doesnt exist unless diy
Warning people who r lazy to rewire their cables with rsa jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back