The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #781 of 5,999
> Did you happen to ask for a approx. delivery time?
A very valid question. We will be assembling and testing  Revision 3 Analog PCB next week. We will know more once it's live and we have collected the list of modifications.
I'm committed to working through the Holidays to bring this thing to you as soon as possible. No, not July. Not at all.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #782 of 5,999
> Did you happen to ask for a approx. delivery time?

A very valid question. We will be assembling and testing  Revision 3 Analog PCB next week. We will know more once it's live and we have collected the list of modifications.
I'm committed to working through the Holidays to bring this thing to you as soon as possible. No, not July. Not at all.

This is great news, as always thank you for the prompt replies.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #785 of 5,999
Quote:
The dual XLR sockets are combo jacks. They can each support 1/2 of a balanced config OR 1 unbalanced. That means that putting two of them gives you one 2x3pin balanced output or two 1/4" unbalanced outputs.

Many thanks for the response and dispelling my ignorance on how the dual XLR sockets will work.

Re: waiting for this - I'm absolutely happy to wait until the device is done to the exacting standards which CEntrance have and implementing the feasible  feedback/requests from the head-fi community. It's been a pleasure to see a company actively engaging with the consumers in the manner of this thread to ensure that the best possible device meeting the needs of the consumer is released.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #786 of 5,999
I got home today to a small package in the mail from Stacie with a very nice t-shirt inside. Thanks CEntrance team, that's a nice touch for those of us who've pre-ordered.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #788 of 5,999
Quote:
Probably has been in customs all this time.  Canadian Customs are notoriously draconian in ferreting out US commercial package duties.

More than likely just USPS/Canada Post shipping speed overall. I can't complain though, they may take a bit longer but generally they've been pretty reliable over the years I've been buying and selling on here.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #789 of 5,999
Quote:
Probably has been in customs all this time.  Canadian Customs are notoriously draconian in ferreting out US commercial package duties.

There are no trade duties between Canada and the USA. We have had FREE TRADE since the 1980s. All Canadians or Americans are responsible for is the GST or State tax. If you send packages USPS or Canada Post, the most you will ever get hit is 5% in Canada or whatever the state tax is in the US. Most of the time I do not even get hit for tax.
HOWEVER, private shipping companies such as UPS and FedEX take advantage of customers by charging the receiving user fees for "processing" paper work at the border, which basically comes down to ticking a box that says "commercial goods". For their amazing hard work, UPS and FedEX will charge you 18% of your packages value.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #790 of 5,999
Goods manufactured outside the US may still be subject to duties, even if delivered from the US. 

As for the private shipping processing fees... yeah those just hurt. I once had to pay $40 in taxes/brokerage/blood/etc for a $30 parcel.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #791 of 5,999
I paid upward of 50% of commercial package value during my stint there in Calgary.  It was so bad I got to routing my internet purchases through my daughter so that they would come in as personal packages.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #792 of 5,999
Quote:
Heck, Ibasso even has a nice 4 pin to hirose for the ibasso balanced out. 

Yeah!   

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=68

Larry probably has one of these, too!   

biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #793 of 5,999
Quote:
I paid upward of 50% of commercial package value during my stint there in Calgary.  It was so bad I got to routing my internet purchases through my daughter so that they would come in as personal packages.

I tend to find retailers who are willing to ship via USPS and Canada Post rather than FedEX or UPS. Instant savings. FedEX and UPS are in the business of double dipping on shipping costs. They just hide the second shipping costs in so called "brokerage" costs.  

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #795 of 5,999
Quote:
There are no trade duties between Canada and the USA. We have had FREE TRADE since the 1980s. All Canadians or Americans are responsible for is the GST or State tax. If you send packages USPS or Canada Post, the most you will ever get hit is 5% in Canada or whatever the state tax is in the US. Most of the time I do not even get hit for tax.
HOWEVER, private shipping companies such as UPS and FedEX take advantage of customers by charging the receiving user fees for "processing" paper work at the border, which basically comes down to ticking a box that says "commercial goods". For their amazing hard work, UPS and FedEX will charge you 18% of your packages value.  

Armaegis is correct with regards to duty but there's also a few other things that are not exactly true in your post. The tax charged depends on where you live in Canada, most provinces pay either HST or both GST and PST. I think Alberta and PEI are the only two that only pay GST and if all goes according to PEI's provincial government we'll be paying full HST when it comes into effect early next year.

It's really only the base service levels of UPS and FedEx that are bad, UPS Standard and FedEx International Ground, the services above those typically include brokerage fees so the receiver doesn't have to pay them. The main thing is to know which method the shipper intends to use.

Canada Post still charges brokerage fees, it's just usually a flat fee of $5 which I believe increases at a certain point of value of the package. I usually tend to prefer using USPS/Canada Post because they've been fairly reliable and the rates are usually reasonable, whereas UPS and FedEx can get out of hand pretty quickly if the shipper isn't getting deals on their rates. There's also a Canada Post outlet that's open till 8 pm about a 2 min. drive from my house so if I'm not home when the package arrives I can pick up later the same day. For FedEx and UPS I have to drive out by the airport and FedEx only has a window of an hour or two a day that you can pick packages up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back