The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #721 of 5,999
Quote:
In the pre-order email from CEntrance, neither of the two options for faceplates included the 1/8 inch combo connector. I ordered the [4-pin XLR and 1/4"] version.  Is that an oversight, or will the 1/8 inch not be included in the first production run?

The 1/8" combo will be included in the 4 pin version. It was not included in the 2x3 pin version because there is not enough room.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #724 of 5,999
Quote:
Couldn't be happier if there will be a mini-XLR version
biggrin.gif
Please make it come true.

I'd pay a little extra to make it happen.  

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #726 of 5,999
Quote:
I don't think the target market for this is those wanting to walk around with their balanced JH13Pro custom IEM.  I want this for going onto my back patio and watching the sun set over the mountain, while I listen to my LCD-2, HE-500 or HD800 with a beer.

I will also use my HiFi-M8 outside on my back patio and at the camping during the week-end. :wink:

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #727 of 5,999

Yeah, that's the only (very small) quibble I have. The "rsa' has the form factor I want. The 4pin xlr has the robustness, and reliability I want. And plus it's made for audio while the rsa connector is not. The mini 4pin xlr would be the best of both worlds. But I completely understand centrance's situation since they have already set things in motion. But if the possibility arises that the mini 4pin xlr could happen in January, then I would be willing to wait until then.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #728 of 5,999
Quote:
Yeah, that's the only (very small) quibble I have. The "rsa' has the form factor I want. The 4pin xlr has the robustness, and reliability I want. And plus it's made for audio while the rsa connector is not. The mini 4pin xlr would be the best of both worlds. But I completely understand centrance's situation since they have already set things in motion. But if the possibility arises that the mini 4pin xlr could happen in January, then I would be willing to wait until then.

At this point I don't have any balanced headphones but I'm predominately an IEM user which means the smaller mini 4 pin XLR would likely serve me better in the long run so I'd be willing to wait as well if it were a possibility.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #729 of 5,999
I would still like to see an S/PDIF input, or if space makes this impossible as I have been told, an external adapter cable that would allow an S/PDIF source to be used with the M8 i input or the USB input. I want to be able to use the M8 with other digital sources, such as CD players, not just with my Macs, PCs and i devices. Does anyone else have this need? 

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #731 of 5,999
Quote:
I would still like to see an S/PDIF input, or if space makes this impossible as I have been told, an external adapter cable that would allow an S/PDIF source to be used with the M8 i input or the USB input. I want to be able to use the M8 with other digital sources, such as CD players, not just with my Macs, PCs and i devices. Does anyone else have this need? 

The LX version comes with an S/PDIF input in place of an i-device input...

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #732 of 5,999
Quote:
Couldn't be happier if there will be a mini-XLR version
biggrin.gif
Please make it come true.

Quote:

Quote:
And the moral of this story is to thoroughly vet the connectors before casting them in aluminum (as it were). 

Quote:

Quote:

At this point I don't have any balanced headphones but I'm predominately an IEM user which means the smaller mini 4 pin XLR would likely serve me better in the long run so I'd be willing to wait as well if it were a possibility.

All of the above, emphasis on "little" ($20?  $30?  $50 tops, and I'd grumble) in "I'd pay a little more" and I am an equal opportunity iem/headphone user, but I use everything transportably, so preference for smaller parts.

Strong preference for mini 4 pin XLR, but can live with 4 pin XLR - it just means an adapter, another connection, and a male/female mini XLR joint on one end or another of my cable.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #733 of 5,999
Quote:

What you would ideally need is an separate mini or micro BNC SPDIF input connector, but I don't think there's room at this point.  Perhaps when the new Apple lightning idevice connector replaces the 30-pin in some downstream M8 version, if Michael hasn't become thoroughly disgusted with the Forum riffraff baying for more mods (myself included) by then, and stops soliciting input.

Heck, I'm willing to wait till February or even March for the 4-pin mini XLR, and pay up to $29.95 extra... 
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #735 of 5,999
Ok guys and mickeal, couple of questions here.

I'm on the preorder list (nice t-shirt by the way , thanks centrance team :wink:)
I intend to use the flexibility of the hifi-m8 either to use it as a simple link between my ipod classic and my cans, and also to use it as nice source to connect to my amp in my speaker rig.
with this idear in mind, I went to the dual 3 pin xlr combo jack. But I've just realised that with the dual combo jack there is not the free space available to also have the 1/8 audio/optical spdif output ...arghhh ;-(
So now I'm wondering if I souldn't go with the 4 pin xlr to be able to have the optical output option. But is it possible to make a custom cable 4pin xlr (hifi-m8 output) to dual 3 pin xlr (speaker amp input) without sonic degradation? or at least something really subtle? I guess previously mentionned moon audio - alo -Qcable or other skills DIY could do such a cable with sufficient quality parts? Or is the technical and real world statement that the dual 3pin xlr output should be prefered with a speaker amp and rig?

I noticed there are 3 pin xlr (balanced) to rca (single ended) cable available? If connecting to the rca input of a speaker amp, Is there any benefit to use a balanced signal (4pin xlr output) instead of the single ended stereo jack?

Mickeal, with all your work on idevise with the hifi-m8, will we have the pleasure to see released a new dac mini px with integrated ipod dock? (that will kick ass!!!)

best regards everyone and thanks in advance for the advises:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back