The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #707 of 5,999
Quote:
I have used the DACmini with my LCD-2 Rev.2 in the past and the power of the amp was just enough sufficient, I wouldn't want to use an amp that is less powerfull than the DACmini with the LCD-2.  But I have to admit that I like to listen to my music at a very high level.
I have also tried the LCD-3 with the DACmini and for my tastes, the amp was not powerfull enough to drive the LCD-3 correctly.

So if the amp of the HiFi-M8 is as powerful as the amp of the DACmini, I will be extremely happy because I'm planning to use it with the LCD-2 Rev.2.

I just got the LCD-3 (
beyersmile.png
) and am currently using them with a DACport, which just seems barely adequate.  I believe Audeze conservatively recommends that they be driven by an amp of at least a couple of watts, which I don't think the DACport provides.  I'm really hoping that the HiFi M8 will be more than sufficient (way more!) to drive the 3's.

On the current topic of XLRs, is there any advantage (sonically, electrically, or otherwise) to having dual L/R 3-pin XLRs (as originally configured for the HiFi M8) versus one 4-pin XLR?  (This would assume separate L/R leads for each earpiece on the LCD-3 if used with a dual 3-pin HiFi M8.)

Russell

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #708 of 5,999
Quote:

I just got the LCD-3 (
beyersmile.png
) and am currently using them with a DACport, which just seems barely adequate.  I believe Audeze conservatively recommends that they be driven by an amp of at least a couple of watts, which I don't think the DACport provides.  I'm really hoping that the HiFi M8 will be more than sufficient (way more!) to drive the 3's.

On the current topic of XLRs, is there any advantage (sonically, electrically, or otherwise) to having dual L/R 3-pin XLRs (as originally configured for the HiFi M8) versus one 4-pin XLR?  (This would assume separate L/R leads for each earpiece on the LCD-3 if used with a dual 3-pin HiFi M8.)

Russell

I'm sure that the amplifier of the DACmini would be sufficient with the LCD-3 for most of the people here, but that was not the case for me.  It's probably because I must crank the volume higher than a normal person to enjoy my music :wink:

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #709 of 5,999
Quote:
If I am understanding you correctly, you are trying to go from a 1/4" single ended cable to the balanced dual XLR's? That won't get you anything beyond a normal single ended cable. The dual XLR's are combo jacks, meaning you can simply stick a 1/4" plug into the middle of one. Only way to get the benefits of balanced is to reterminate your cable (if it has 4 conductors) to a balanced connector.

The only reason I really wanted to plug it into the (dual) XLR slot with a 1/4" to XLR adaptor was so that it locks into place. Although I suppose that my 1.4" plug going into an XLR adaptor would be 'unlocked' so perhaps it doesn't really make any difference. I know I'm losing out on the benefit of balanced if I choose the XLR balanced version however when I bought my ultrasone pro 2900s, I'd have needed to spend nearly 50% extra for the balanced mod version of my cans.

Maybe I'm not quite following how dual XLR sockets work. You're saying that even if there are two dual XLRs in the M8, one for 'left' and one for 'right', putting my single stereo 1/4" headphone plug into the middle of one of those would result in both the left and right signals being transferred to my headphones? I (mistakenly?) thought that would result in just the left or right signal coming through.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #710 of 5,999
Quote:

The only reason I really wanted to plug it into the (dual) XLR slot with a 1/4" to XLR adaptor was so that it locks into place. Although I suppose that my 1.4" plug going into an XLR adaptor would be 'unlocked' so perhaps it doesn't really make any difference. I know I'm losing out on the benefit of balanced if I choose the XLR balanced version however when I bought my ultrasone pro 2900s, I'd have needed to spend nearly 50% extra for the balanced mod version of my cans.

Maybe I'm not quite following how dual XLR sockets work. You're saying that even if there are two dual XLRs in the M8, one for 'left' and one for 'right', putting my single stereo 1/4" headphone plug into the middle of one of those would result in both the left and right signals being transferred to my headphones? I (mistakenly?) thought that would result in just the left or right signal coming through.

The dual XLR sockets are combo jacks. They can each support 1/2 of a balanced config OR 1 unbalanced. That means that putting two of them gives you one 2x3pin balanced output or two 1/4" unbalanced outputs.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #711 of 5,999
Quote:
The dual XLR sockets are combo jacks. They can each support 1/2 of a balanced config OR 1 unbalanced. That means that putting two of them gives you one 2x3pin balanced output or two 1/4" unbalanced outputs.

Kenny,

I originally ordered 1 x 1/4 and 1 x XLR (full size only option at that time), thinking that if one day I would re-cable my phones, I could listen to my M8 in balanced mode. If I am reading correctly (probably not:) I cannot do that with the way I have the unit configured?

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #712 of 5,999
Kenny,

I originally ordered 1 x 1/4 and 1 x XLR (full size only option at that time), thinking that if one day I would re-cable my phones, I could listen to my M8 in balanced mode. If I am reading correctly (probably not:) I cannot do that with the way I have the unit configured?

The XLR in your configuration is 4 pin which means balanced. You are fine for both single ended and balanced.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #713 of 5,999
Very impressed with what's happening in this thread. I've never seen anything quite like this. Michael could probably be the nicest guy in the audio industry.

This is the kind of dedication and responsiveness I want to invest in, competition should take notice.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #714 of 5,999
> Mr. Goodman, Please please please make mini xlr version, pls pls pls :)
mmm... We just spent a lot of money to cut aluminum. Argh... Let's do this in January, perhaps?

> This is the kind of dedication and responsiveness I want to invest in, competition should take notice.
Thank you, but I just contradicted you above. We need to get this thing to market...

Speaking of output level in extreme cases, here is what people are doing with the DACmini PX Integrated:

Received the [DACmini PX] unit earlier this morning, and I've just now spent the last few hours listening to it. It effortlessly drives the HE-6 (via speaker taps), and sounds absolutely wonderful with my LCD 2 (rev.1) and HD 700. I honestly couldn't be happier. Among the best audio purchases I've ever made.
beerchug.gif

Night Crawler
Yesterday at 10:32 pm

To add to my previous response, I've NEVER, EVER heard the LCD 2's reproduce highs the way they do when plugged into the PX, nor did I ever deem it possible, to be honest. I wish to commend you, Michael, and everyone over at CEntrance, for a product that really puts the extra in extraordinary! With the PX, no matter which headphone I've paired it with, there is SO much headroom. I've been a serious audiophile for 2 years now, having invested more than I care to share, and the PX honestly feels as if it brought closure to my forever ongoing search for an all-in-one, jack of all trades preamp, amp, and dac unit. No feeling quite like hearing your music as though it's the very first time.

Michael Goodman here: While we will not equip the HiFi-M8 with the kind of output power that the DACmini PX has (25W per channel), knowing that PX works well in this application for "very loud" may be useful to some people in this thread. That's why I'm sharing.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #715 of 5,999
In the pre-order email from CEntrance, neither of the two options for faceplates included the 1/8 inch combo connector. I ordered the [4-pin XLR and 1/4"] version.  Is that an oversight, or will the 1/8 inch not be included in the first production run?

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #716 of 5,999
Quote:
I don't quite get all the mini XLR talk, I mean I understand the desire to have it as an option, in fact now that I have a little better understanding of all the balanced options that would probably be my choice if it was offered, but what I don't understand is the talk of using adapters. Do you guys already have headphones terminated with mini XLR's that you're trying to accommodate? If not, why would you terminate a new cable in mini XLR then use an adapter to go to the full sized 4 pin?

Because we sometimes have one amp with 4-pin XLR, another one with 1/4" jack, and one with an RSA balanced output.  How do we connect one headphone to all three amps?  Via adapters.  The mini-XLR is small enough to put in the middle or end of a cable, so we can separate the plug from the headphone cable and attach the appropriate plug in it's place.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #717 of 5,999
Quote:

Because we sometimes have one amp with 4-pin XLR, another one with 1/4" jack, and one with an RSA balanced output.  How do we connect one headphone to all three amps?  Via adapters.  The mini-XLR is small enough to put in the middle or end of a cable, so we can separate the plug from the headphone cable and attach the appropriate plug in it's place.

Yep, this. Not hard to understand from where I'm sitting!

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #718 of 5,999
Quote:

So you're terminating your headphone cables with mini-XLR's then?

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #719 of 5,999
Quote:

To me, it's like laptops with multiple video output ports. In the past we had S-video, then VGA, then now HDMI, mini-HDMI, Displayport, then mini-Displayport, then now Thunderbolt. Apple just provides Thunderbolt with all the available high quality adaptors now.
I think the Head-Fi 'industry' requires a consolidation by some companies. Disregard most of the expensive wires. Think broad market, large scale, economical, but high quality adaptors.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #720 of 5,999
>Thank you, but I just contradicted you above. We need to get this thing to market...

Oh, no, you are willing to further modify the product in January. That's crazy, let me tell you (in a very good way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back