The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #451 of 5,999
Quote:

To answer some questions:

> ...when we're asked to specify our choice of outputs ([2 combo XLRs] or [4-pin XLR and 1/4"]) and choice of inputs ([HiFi-M8 with USB and iDevice inputs] or [HiFi-M8 LX with USB and S/PDIF inputs]) does this mean that CEntrance will be making 4 different models (regular version & "LX" version, each available with either double 3-pin XLRs or  4-pin XLR & 1/4" jack)?
Yes, it does. In reality, it's the same device with 4 different choices for face plates. Makes our life a bit easier that way, still gives you plenty of choice.

Thanks, Michael, for answering my question.  I've just put in my pre-order! 
atsmile.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #453 of 5,999
A question for Michael. In the 3 pin version two 1/4" headphones can be plugged into the combo jacks, in the 4 pin version will the 1/4" be muted when there's a balanced headphone connected?

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #454 of 5,999
Quote:
A question for Michael. In the 3 pin version two 1/4" headphones can be plugged into the combo jacks, in the 4 pin version will the 1/4" be muted when there's a balanced headphone connected?

That's a good question.  With something like the Woo WA22, when a single ended headphone is plugged into the 1/4" jack, the 4-pin XLR keeps playing music but switches to single ended output operation like the 1/4".

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #455 of 5,999
I thought he said earlier in this thread that both jacks are active so volume control would be an issue when driving two unmatched cans (like IEMs and a big pair) but not so much an issue when driving two similarly matched pairs.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #456 of 5,999
Sorry if this question is noobish.  

So if I have the iPod connected to the hifi-m8 via included usb and if I am using the dual balanced headphone out, I will not need another balanced interconnect cable from amp to source like the solo db and mk3b combo needs?  

Also, I currently own the mk3b but decided to go the hifi-m8 route instead of buying the solo db to bypass purchasing another cable and having an all inclusive balanced unit.  The unit I ordered will be the dual balanced one and from reading the thread, it won't have a line-out so I will not be able to use the mk3b amp with it.  Is this correct?  

Also, I assume I won't be needing the mk3b since the m8 should have as much or more power to drive something like the HE-500's?

Thank you.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #457 of 5,999
Quote:

Also, I currently own the mk3b but decided to go the hifi-m8 route instead of buying the solo db to bypass purchasing another cable and having an all inclusive balanced unit.  The unit I ordered will be the dual balanced one and from reading the thread, it won't have a line-out so I will not be able to use the mk3b amp with it.  Is this correct?  

not  a true line out, but you can use the headphone out to another amp from what I understand without sacrificing sound quality.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #460 of 5,999
>  In the 3 pin version two 1/4" headphones can be plugged into the combo jacks, in the 4 pin version will the 1/4" be muted when there's a balanced headphone connected?
All jacks will operate all the time.

I'm done with the digital PCB, made all the changes and it's now in review. We will make a couple of these to check and make sure all changes have been implemented correctly. I'm switching over to the the analog board meanime and working on the analog line out and SPDIF line out. Let's see if can find a jack that has the needed performance...

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/10/25/power-supply-magic/

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #461 of 5,999
Quote:
>  In the 3 pin version two 1/4" headphones can be plugged into the combo jacks, in the 4 pin version will the 1/4" be muted when there's a balanced headphone connected?
All jacks will operate all the time.

I'm done with the digital PCB, made all the changes and it's now in review. We will make a couple of these to check and make sure all changes have been implemented correctly. I'm switching over to the the analog board meanime and working on the analog line out and SPDIF line out. Let's see if can find a jack that has the needed performance...

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/10/25/power-supply-magic/

Hi Michael, did that link to the combo analog/digital jack I sent you help at all?  

Over time I have developed a really strong feeling that this should have a digital out of some sort, since many people will use it a lot as a digital iPod dock and will want to feed that pure digital signal into their high end rig as well.  Personally, I don't care if it's optical or coax out, as long as it has S/PDIF out for the iPod dock.  At first I was like, why does such a nice USB computer DAC need an S/PDIF out, but at the time I wasn't thinking about needing S/PDIF out as an iPod dock.  This would be a great way to integrate my iPhone with my electrostatic headphone rig, for example.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #462 of 5,999
Quote:

Hi Michael, did that link to the combo analog/digital jack I sent you help at all?  

Over time I have developed a really strong feeling that this should have a digital out of some sort, since many people will use it a lot as a digital iPod dock and will want to feed that pure digital signal into their high end rig as well.  Personally, I don't care if it's optical or coax out, as long as it has S/PDIF out for the iPod dock.  At first I was like, why does such a nice USB computer DAC need an S/PDIF out, but at the time I wasn't thinking about needing S/PDIF out as an iPod dock.  This would be a great way to integrate my iPhone with my electrostatic headphone rig, for example.

This is part of what makes the HiFi-M8 so appealing, with it's versatility everyone seems to see different uses for it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #464 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm switching over to the the analog board meanime and working on the analog line out and SPDIF line out. Let's see if I can find a jack that has the needed performance...

From where I'm sitting, Michael has been nothing but responsive.  Crowdsourcing... it almost guarantees the trending market demographic beforehand.

Wouldn't a 1/8" TRRS coax plug accomplish the dual digital and analog line outs role?  You would be sharing the ground between the 2 circuits, tho. 
Evidently Sony uses a proprietary TRRRS connector with some of their products. Not too accessible...

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #465 of 5,999
Wow!  Just found this thread.  I'm a happy DACmini owner and would love to own an HiFi-M8 if it is available with a 4-pin XLR jack.

I recently rewired most of my reference phones (LCD-2 r1, LCD-2 r2, HD800, HD650, HD580) to 4-pin XLR after the purchase of a Bryston BHA-1 and Schiit Mjolnir.  The M8 would only make sense for me if it had a 4-pin XLR as I wouldn't want to mess with 3-pin to 4-pin adapters.  I hope the 4-pin version becomes a production version.

What a great company!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back