The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #421 of 5,999
I would still like to see the 1/8" serve triple duty as a line-in, line-out, and digital out.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #422 of 5,999
I still don't really understand IEM centric users looking at this unit. It's obviously meant to run cans that need loads of power (ie. 1.5w). It's also not anywhere close to what I'd look for size wise in an IEM based system (though some run CLAS stacks for IEMs, too).

I get that some may want to use IEMs with it sometimes, but I don't think it should really be tailored to IEM users. If they can do an 1/8" jack easily, great! Make it work double, or triple duty...but if it's something that would increase cost, or be difficult to do for Centrance, forget it.

One of these seems like the best thing to me. It's very low profile, and won't degrade sound quality. Won't stick out any more than the volume knob itself.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #423 of 5,999
OK--Just got my pre-order info from Stacie and have a simple question:  when we're asked to specify our choice of outputs ([2 combo XLRs] or [4-pin XLR and 1/4"]) and choice of inputs ([HiFi-M8 with USB and iDevice inputs] or [HiFi-M8 LX with USB and S/PDIF inputs]) does this mean that CEntrance will be making 4 different models (regular version & "LX" version, each available with either double 3-pin XLRs or  4-pin XLR & 1/4" jack)?

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #424 of 5,999
Quote:
I still don't really understand IEM centric users looking at this unit. It's obviously meant to run cans that need loads of power (ie. 1.5w). It's also not anywhere close to what I'd look for size wise in an IEM based system (though some run CLAS stacks for IEMs, too).

I get that some may want to use IEMs with it sometimes, but I don't think it should really be tailored to IEM users. If they can do an 1/8" jack easily, great! Make it work double, or triple duty...but if it's something that would increase cost, or be difficult to do for Centrance, forget it.

One of these seems like the best thing to me. It's very low profile, and won't degrade sound quality. Won't stick out any more than the volume knob itself.

This has been gone over previously when talking about the whether the 1/4" jack made sense in a portable unit. I argued for 1/8" because that's what most portable headphones use. I was convinced that the 1/4" with adapter made the most sense though.

In this case I'm 50/50, for myself it would be nice to not have to use the adapter but at the same time a true line out adds another level of versatility.

As for the IEM question, I use both IEM's and full-sized phones but my preference is for IEM's. I decided I wanted to downsize recently and put together a high-end transportable rig instead. The HiFi-M8 with it's iDevice connection takes this idea to another level over the Dragonfly I'm currently using. I can still take it back and forth to work with me like I do the Dragonfly, but the HiFi-M8 will give me the freedom to move around the house with it connected to my phone and still get high quality sound. In conjunction with my iPhone and a pair of IEM's it will also give me a high-end sound system for travel. I also love the fact that it will have the versatility to use just about any headphone I can think of so I'm not limited to what I could buy in the future.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #425 of 5,999
Quote:

I disagree with the iem part. With the selectable impedance switch(as low as 1 ohm) and the gain switches I don't see how  this wouldn't be a good match for iems. I plan to use this with my jh13s along with other cans. I've used my jh13s with amps exceeding 1.5 watts with great results because they also had stellar preamps. So hiss and noise was a non issue. Given the specs I think this will be a very good match for my jh13s.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #426 of 5,999
Quote:

I agree, in part.  While I definitely will run some CIEM's off this unit, I'm primarily getting it to bypass the iDevice DAC while driving bigger cans. If I learned one thing at RMAF it's that any DAC that bypasses the iDevice is automatically in the $600-plus club simply because the manufacturer has to pay royalties back to Apple, which is probably why there are only a handful of devices that do so.  But I do understand wanting to run IEM's through it when on the move.  Understand, though, that while portable, this isn't a tiny device - definitely not something for skinny jeans! - so Morbid Toaster makes a good point there.  

There's a picture somewhere at the beginning of this thread that shows a similar adapter, from V-MODA I think, that is even lower-profile and would effectively protrude less than volume knob when left in the unit.  Personally, I'm going to switch the cables on my IEMs to balanced to take advantage of that option on the M8.

As far as double-duty jacks, I don't know about the other products mentioned herein, but I know the Fiio E17 has a combo jack that (with the included adapters) is SPDIF/Coaxial/Optical input, so I imagine it can be wired as an output as well (but that's way above my pay grade).  As Michael has mentioned before, though, at some point he's gotta close the door to suggestions and wish-lists to move towards production, and I think not only is he on the right track, he's provided excellent response and reworking of the design to facilitate many of our requests already.  

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #427 of 5,999
Quote:

Well then what would you suggest?
If not a  i > CLASS > AMP nor i > HIFI-M8 then what to use that has a DAC and AMP together? The Fostex HP-P1 is going to be about the same as the HIFI-8, right? I don't own anything but IEMs, want to use a DAC/AMP for listening with a smooth and polished UI.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #428 of 5,999
That's pretty much what I'd want to use it for as well. I honestly want to pair it with a Paradox, which are definitely a full sized can.

Quote:
I agree.  While I definitely will run some CIEM's off this unit, I'm primarily getting it to bypass the iDevice DAC while driving bigger cans.  There's a picture somewhere at the beginning of this thread that shows a similar adapter from V-MODA that is even lower-profile and would effectively protrude less than volume knob when left in the unit.

That's my point, too. While the 1/8" jacks have some cool combo uses, this unit seems gear toward powering big ol' power hungry cans which usually have 1/4" terminations.

Quote:

This has been gone over previously when talking about the whether the 1/4" jack made sense in a portable unit. I argued for 1/8" because that's what most portable headphones use. I was convinced that the 1/4" with adapter made the most sense though.

In this case I'm 50/50, for myself it would be nice to not have to use the adapter but at the same time a true line out adds another level of versatility.

As for the IEM question, I use both IEM's and full-sized phones but my preference is for IEM's. I decided I wanted to downsize recently and put together a high-end transportable rig instead. The HiFi-M8 with it's iDevice connection takes this idea to another level over the Dragonfly I'm currently using. I can still take it back and forth to work with me like I do the Dragonfly, but the HiFi-M8 will give me the freedom to move around the house with it connected to my phone and still get high quality sound. In conjunction with my iPhone and a pair of IEM's it will also give me a high-end sound system for travel. I also love the fact that it will have the versatility to use just about any headphone I can think of so I'm not limited to what I could buy in the future.

It will sound great and pair well with them, but I still see it as an odd choice for IEM users because of the size. Then again, this is Head-fi and all. 

Quote:
I disagree with the iem part. With the selectable impedance switch(as low as 1 ohm) and the gain switches I don't see how  this wouldn't be a good match for iems. I plan to use this with my jh13s along with other cans. I've used my jh13s with amps exceeding 1.5 watts with great results because they also had stellar preamps. So hiss and noise was a non issue. Given the specs I think this will be a very good match for my jh13s.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #429 of 5,999
I'd suggest something with quality parts in it already...Cowon, Colorfly, Telecast...

I've never had issues with their UI and honestly they're more versatile than iDevices. 

EDIT: J3 is probably still my choice.

Quote:
Well then what would you suggest?
If not a  i > CLASS > AMP nor i > HIFI-M8 then what to use that has a DAC and AMP together? The Fostex HP-P1 is going to be about the same as the HIFI-8, right? I don't own anything but IEMs, want to use a DAC/AMP for listening with a smooth and polished UI.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #430 of 5,999
I find it interesting that people will spend many hundreds of dollars on cables making sure the best solder is used, ultra pure mono crystal copper or silver and then plug in an adapter that is made of bronze or other material for the signal to go through. Sometimes we don't have a lot of choice and I have approached a couple of manufactures about making higher quality adapters but nothing got off the ground. The same goes for RCA connections, with all the cheap metal in the way. True there are some that are silver or high purity copper flash plated but at such an expense and the copper ones don't hold up so well and the silver, out there in price and still a gob of metal for the signal to transfer through. 

Then again I get a kick out of some of the tubes I use, with all the 8 and 9 pin type with steel in the signal path and they can deliver fine sound. Go figure. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #431 of 5,999
While room correction will be utterly wasted(really utterly wasted unless even if you have moolah to shell on a Earthworks mic) on such a product :p I do look forward to such a "pro" hub of sorts the size of the M8 with combo jacks and the wet/dry thing along with a reasonable(like O2 good) headphone out for zero latency monitoring for recording guitars and mics. Got a micport from them and those are simply awesome.

Frankly I thing stuffing another output port would really be pushing it for the size of thing and the amount of features built in is ridiculous as it is(are they still thinking about outputs? from the blog). Glad they added a spdif input though. 

Room correction is not wasted without an Earthworks mic at all, but anyway that's not what this thread is about.

But you don't have to add one more connector, you just have to make the right combo XLR an in/out connector. I don't know if it's technically possible to detect if you plug in a microphone or a headphone/monitor but with some kind of clever LED lighting like it is on the micport pro, it would certainly work. Actually adding another XLR is not such a bad idea, maybe then you'd have even better battery life because of the bigger case/internal battery.

Basically it would be a high end version of this thing:
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/iaudiointerface2/

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #432 of 5,999
I just completed my preorder. Now the fun part....the wait. I'm really looking forward to it. I know realistically I won't get it until after the first of the year, but it would be nice if they end up shipping ahead of schedule and I have it by Christmas. :D

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #433 of 5,999
Quote:
- SPDIF input will be available on the LX version, which is basically the same product, but the iPhone input is gone, SPDIF input takes its place. This LX is for people who prefer Android.

sorry for the inexperience but how would one hook up an android through spdif to the m8?
do you just need an optical cable and it should bypass the android's dac?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #435 of 5,999
I would still like to see the 1/8" serve triple duty as a line-in, line-out, and digital out.

why? its no good for any of those purposes

oh and i'll say it again, adding an ADC and decent quality mic-pre to this at this stage is a ridiculous suggestion both technology and logistics wise be realistic please of they'll just start ignoring input. do you guys want your amps some time in the first half of 2013? do you guys buying this for listening mind making concessions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back