The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #406 of 5,999
Like the X3 thread in which I think is going to fail "again". What's so funny is, some of things being requested isn't that far fetched to implement. Other things I understand.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #408 of 5,999
How do I pre-order, could someone link me to some info?
Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #409 of 5,999
Anyway, I think I'll wait for the Pro M8 with a mic preamp ... now that would be a hit product! I would use it for my headsets, to plug in a good measurement microphone in my speaker system, as a bedroom system with some monitors and maybe even as a usb to spdif adapter. That would truly be a M8. Bundle some room correction software like :)

This doesn't do all that much over my DACport, I don't need a battery, I don't use an iThing and anyway it's too heavy for a phone. And let's be serious, it's not going to be as good as a good desktop system ... maybe as close as you're going to get but not quite there.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #411 of 5,999
There's a lot of us that didn't want it/won't use it (especially if it was going to be on the front of the device).

Quote:
I've just been informed that we are not going to get the digital out.  Crowdsourcing (satisfaction?) is evidently useful only up to a point.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #412 of 5,999
Quote:
Anyway, I think I'll wait for the Pro M8 with a mic preamp ... now that would be a hit product! I would use it for my headsets, to plug in a good measurement microphone in my speaker system, as a bedroom system with some monitors and maybe even as a usb to spdif adapter. That would truly be a M8. Bundle some room correction software like
smily_headphones1.gif

This doesn't do all that much over my DACport, I don't need a battery, I don't use an iThing and anyway it's too heavy for a phone. And let's be serious, it's not going to be as good as a good desktop system ... maybe as close as you're going to get but not quite there.

While room correction will be utterly wasted(really utterly wasted unless even if you have moolah to shell on a Earthworks mic) on such a product :p I do look forward to such a "pro" hub of sorts the size of the M8 with combo jacks and the wet/dry thing along with a reasonable(like O2 good) headphone out for zero latency monitoring for recording guitars and mics. Got a micport from them and those are simply awesome.

Frankly I thing stuffing another output port would really be pushing it for the size of thing and the amount of features built in is ridiculous as it is(are they still thinking about outputs? from the blog). Glad they added a spdif input though. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #413 of 5,999
Quote:

Glad they added a spdif input though. 

I think that's just for the LX version where it replaces the iDevice input.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #414 of 5,999
from what i get, the main point of the centrance m8 is to run computer/idevice>centrance m8> headphones
its not to add tons of features (which can be done later on) and its big enough already
for those that are going to be connecting speakers, why not get some bigger amps with hundreds of plugs in the back

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #415 of 5,999
- SPDIF input will be available on the LX version, which is basically the same product, but the iPhone input is gone, SPDIF input takes its place. This LX is for people who prefer Android.

- SPDIF output really depends on our ability to source a decent combo jack (a 1/8" jack that combines analog audio out and SPDIF output, such as the one on Macs). The hooks are in there for it. Space is the issue at the moment.

- A dual channel MicPort is coming. It will have a different name, not M8 (an awesome new name if I say so myself). It will be mostly a recording product, driven by our experience with the voice over and studio crowd -- not really for the audiophile market, so it will be a complement, not a replacement for the M8. Please let me finish HiFi-M8 first and we will get the recording product out next. The two will re-use a lot of componentry, which is another reason I'm being so meticulous with the M8 - we will need to make sure it's bullet-proof, since it will have a multi-functional engine inside.

I recommend that we move the recording product discussion into another thread and probably another forum altogether. Gearslutz, anyone? Let me know if there is interest.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #416 of 5,999
OK, now that I'm paying attention to the CEntrance blog for today's entry, it may be just a matter of inadequate or miscommuniction between Michael and Stacie, who's maintaining the M8 orders.  According to Michael, digital out may still be attainable, depending on the connector.  Here's hoping...

I would think that there are many more of us who to want the digital out than not.  It would certainly enhance the product attractiveness to those individuals who would appreciative its versatility to include a means to access audio files via the latest USB transfer technology, as well as the myriad Apple source devices enjoying mass market appeal, to their present high end DAC and amp home rigs that omit or limit this possibility.  S/PDIF data input only is not that distant a relic capability artifact.  Hifiman and iBasso certainly understand the potential upswing in the market here.

And quite frankly, secondary cosmetic concerns such as front vs. pack panel are of little concern to me, relatively.  My only concern, from CEntrances's perspective, to to clearly demarcate the digital output jack, especially if a 3.5 mm mini, to differentiate it from those who might mistake it for a 1/8" headphone output jack.

EDIT:  Posted before I saw Michael's entry above.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #417 of 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacal01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My only concern, from CEntrances's perspective, to to clearly demarcate the digital output jack, especially if a 3.5 mm mini, to differentiate it from those who might mistake it for a 1/8" headphone output jack.

From what I've been getting out Michael's posts is he's looking for the right jack to do double duty as both 1/8" headphone output and SPDIF output, depending on what's plugged into it. Of course the intention might be for that to be a line out as opposed to an headphone output, I'm not sure at this point.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #418 of 5,999
Well, the thinking is like this:

1) If there is a 1/4" output AND a bundled plug that converts from 1/4" to 1/8" then you really don't need a dedicated 1/8" headphone jack as well as the existing 1/4". If that's true, but we still have the 1/8" jack on the output side panel, then the 1/8" jack should be a line out, i.e. non-variable with rotation of the volume control. 

2) On the other hand, if people are not opposed to having the volume control "in the way" of the sound, then we can make the 1/8" jack a headphone output instead and basically have it wired in parallel with the 1/4" jack. This way you will not need the 1/4'->1/8" adapter plug. You would plug 1/4" headphones (over the head types) into their own jack and 1/8" headphones (IEMs, etc.) into their own jack. Either jack (1/4" or 1/8") could double up as line level output, since the output is so linear and can drive long cable lines with ease. The only inconvenience is that the volume control knob would control the level at the 1/8" jack.

I will need to make a hard decision on this next week, when I turn my attention to cleaning up the analog board. Right now, I'm finishing up the digital board, so we still have a couple of days to make that decision.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #419 of 5,999
What I understand as well.  That would be the optimum solution.  From a purely selfish perspective, given a choice between the two, I would much prefer the 1/8" digital out over the additional headphone jack, regardless of the no doubt larger segment of IEM users who would whine about having to use a big ol' bad bulky adapter instead of their own convenient plug-n-play port. 

Still, I think that product capability is a more important criterion than option redundancy.  And considering where they were starting with combo ¼"/3-pin XLR jacks, they wouldn't be losing much.  However, an analog line out would be a unique capability, as well, albeit of secondary importance, at least to me.  I would expect, given the transportable/desktop nature of the M8, that the internal DAC/amp combo would predominate its intented use.  And I would expect CEntrance's design expertise on their amp offering to be equal to their DAC competance.

EDIT: Man I've got to start reading the latest posting before posting mine.  Once again, Michael is ahead of me... (and so much more definitive, to boot)     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back