The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #391 of 5,999
Quote:
[size=medium]- Specify analog output type:      [2 combo XLRs] or [4-pin XLR and 1/4"][/size]

Can someone compare and contrast these two output options for me? I'm planning to use the M8 with some JH13's and I'm not sure if there's a benefit of one connection type over the other in terms of sound quality. Does it really just boil-down to convenience and form factor? Sorry if I sound a little naieve and audiophilic-impaired! 
smile.gif

For headphones the 4 would be fine. For the JH13's I would get an adapter to go from the 4 pin XLR to whatever balanced connector you have on the JH13 cable as for myself, I would prefer not to have the larger connector permanently on the cable.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #393 of 5,999
Quote:
For headphones the 4 would be fine. For the JH13's I would get an adapter to go from the 4 pin XLR to whatever balanced connector you have on the JH13 cable as for myself, I would prefer not to have the larger connector permanently on the cable.

Makes sense J8. It does seem odd to me to have a delicate set of IEM's and cables and then terminate a rather heavy XLR on the end of it. I'll check with Drew @Moon Audio to see what he has available. Thanks for the insight.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #394 of 5,999
I have high quality adapters I have made myself. I can detect no sound degradation when done with quality parts. I can put balanced stuff in my pocket if I want. Many options, much fun. :^)

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #395 of 5,999
I have high quality adapters I have made myself. I can detect no sound degradation when done with quality parts. I can put balanced stuff in my pocket if I want. Many options, much fun. :^)

Very nice. That'll be much more affordable. Would you mind sharing your sources? If i can get my hands on the connections and schematics ill give it a try. PM if youd like.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #396 of 5,999
Quote:
The latest Macs don't have optical, from my understanding. It is so esy to implement the coax/optical receiver.

Well, my Macbook Pro 15" Retina says it has "S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output" when I go into About this Mac and then System Report.

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #399 of 5,999
Quote:
Do the Air's?

Nope. None of the Airs have the optical out, hence my request to put some sort of digital out on the M8.

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #400 of 5,999
Quote:

Well, my Macbook Pro 15" Retina says it has "S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output" when I go into About this Mac and then System Report.

Great, I was told they had discontinued it. Good to know.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #401 of 5,999
Thank you for all preorder requests. We are working through the email and T-shirt sizes and will be dispatching your T-shirt to you shortly! 

> I want integrated bluetooth, FM receiver, a pedometer for when I go jogging, laser pointer, a digital thermometer, and carbon monoxide detector.
Now, finally, we have dialog! :)

I'm going back to my design computer for now. Much to tweak in the next weeks. Likely no laser beams in this one though... I know. Sad...

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #403 of 5,999
Initially I was for the dual XLR connection, thinking it will be very useful for driving monitors ... but now I see there's a jack + 4pin xlr version.

I have a question then: that's one balanced out for monitors and one jack for headphones. How does volume control work? Is there a separate level for each output with memory? :)

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #404 of 5,999
Quote:
Initially I was for the dual XLR connection, thinking it will be very useful for driving monitors ... but now I see there's a jack + 4pin xlr version.
I have a question then: that's one balanced out for monitors and one jack for headphones. How does volume control work? Is there a separate level for each output with memory?
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it's partly answered somewhere in this thread.
There's a single volume control, so you toggle it for whatever output that doesn't have a volume control. Or you can use a volume attenuator or something. http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EA650-Control-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B000GTBDBA

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #405 of 5,999
Well, this thread was a LONG but informative read!  Listened to the demo unit @ RMAF last weekend and even without all the sonic switches yet in functioning mode, the sound was exquisite on LCD2's as well as my IEMs.  Wasn't sure I was keen on the 3-pin XLR's so I was super-excited to read about the 4-pin connector and versatility of the 1/4" plug.  Now I've got a few months to put the pre-order savings towards balanced re-cabling of my cans! Kudos to Michael and his crowdsourcing!  Nice to see he actually LISTENED to the many suggestions and did something about it (vs other threads that may generate a lot of buzz, but don't actually do anything to change the product based on the input).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back