The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
May 3, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #4,681 of 5,999
Good day! 

I plan on buying the m8 xl4 in a few weeks to use for my hd800 and ipad but I also want this dac/amp to be used for my computer at home.

1. Can I actually use the 1/8 out for my powered speakers? (swans t200b)

2. If I plug the m8 to the power outlet will it still use the built in battery?

Thanks alot!

1, you can but it is not recommended, as it might not have enough power.
2, yes but not as much.

Actually, for #1...if they are powered speakers, they need a line level input. The M8 is perfectly capable of providing that from the 1/8 jack. I believe mid gain, and volume maxed (or near max?) on the M8 gives you that level.

May 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,682 of 5,999
  Hi, can I check how long should it take if charging the M8 from the multi-sockets power adapter? my battery is charging over 18 hours and the LED light still on? is this normal? Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Is the unit switched off, or are you using it whilst charging?

May 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #4,683 of 5,999
Actually, for #1...if they are powered speakers, they need a line level input. The M8 is perfectly capable of providing that from the 1/8 jack. I believe mid gain, and volume maxed (or near max?) on the M8 gives you that level.

That is correct, along with (in my case) the highest output impedance setting too.

This was covered in the CEntrance "DevBlog" a very long time ago, so it is in no way a "not recommended" thing to do, I have done it according to those DevBlog instructions and it works just fine.

Do the speakers have their own volume control? If not then you wouldn't max out the volume on the M8 and instead use it's volume pot to control the level.

May 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,685 of 5,999
Thanks so much Dr.Sheep, thegrobe and MikeyFresh for the replies!

Good to hear that I can use these for my speakers, I'll just wait for the stocks to arrive sometime next week for me to pull the trigger.

Oh last query, what is the difference in using low mid or high impedance out for the speakers? 

I'll try to post some impressions after obtaining the m8 :)

May 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #4,686 of 5,999
Hi everybody! Guys, i'm wondering how long had you been waiting for your units to arrive? I placed my order back in December 2013 and it hasn't been dispatched yet. Is that "OK" situation with Centrance, or shall i start to worry? How many of us in such situation at the moment?

May 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4,687 of 5,999
Hi everybody! Guys, i'm wondering how long had you been waiting for your units to arrive? I placed my order back in December 2013 and it hasn't been dispatched yet. Is that "OK" situation with Centrance, or shall i start to worry? How many of us in such situation at the moment?

I'm waiting as well since December. I contacted Stacie yesterday about an update. She said the units are arriving next week, then after a thorough QA check they will begin shipping. Shipments will go out in this order, according to output configuration: XL4, CMB, then RSA. I'm at the bottom of the list with RSA! But still happy it's getting close.

May 3, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #4,688 of 5,999
I've got impatient and changed my order to Theorem 720. I don't see the point of waiting too long. Now, time to enjoy listening to my fave music. I will leave all the waiting to you ☺

May 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #4,689 of 5,999
I'm waiting as well since December. I contacted Stacie yesterday about an update. She said the units are arriving next week, then after a thorough QA check they will begin shipping. Shipments will go out in this order, according to output configuration: XL4, CMB, then RSA. I'm at the bottom of the list with RSA! But still happy it's getting close.

Thanks bro! It's good to know that you're not alone in the line!

May 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #4,690 of 5,999
I've got impatient and changed my order to Theorem 720. I don't see the point of waiting too long. Now, time to enjoy listening to my fave music. I will leave all the waiting to you ☺

I just experimented with the CCK with the HiFi-M8 and the CLAS db.  Sadly my CLAS gave the iPad an error, so no iDevice hi-res listening with Cypher Labs products.

May 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #4,692 of 5,999

I just experimented with the CCK with the HiFi-M8 and the CLAS db.  Sadly my CLAS gave the iPad an error, so no iDevice hi-res listening with Cypher Labs products.

Makes sense if you think about it, CLAS only has the iDevice input and not standard usb like the m8

Jeff, it might be the cable you are using between CCK and the CLAS-db. The CLAS-db (and Theorem 720) are dual-use on the mini USB input. Computer or i-device. It "auto senses" which device is connected by the way the mini USB cable end is configured. Regular USB, "computer" uses pins 1,2,3,and 5. The i-device cable must be wired as "OTG" with pin 4 and 5 tied together as ground. This is how the CL gear "sees" which device it's connected to. So you may need to try a standard mini USB cable in between CCK and CLAS. Not an OTG cable. Try that.

ugh, I know, waaaay off topic.

Oh, and to stay on topic...Yeah for the M8! It's a fantastic piece of gear. So nice I bought it twice. 

May 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #4,693 of 5,999

I will mainly use it with Android phone, PC and iMac but I will try it with my iPad once I have found my CCK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back