The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #4,651 of 5,999
All I can say is you are a very patient man. :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #4,652 of 5,999
Ordered mine last week, hoping to have a portable version of my hdva600, to drive my hd650. Really can't wait.

The M8 and HD650s are a fantastic pairing.  You should shop for a balanced cable, while you wait...

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #4,653 of 5,999
I've been waiting since December! I sure hope they start shipping soon, I'm about to lose my mind. Be assured though, folks, it's worth the wait. This is my second time around with the M8.

I know you're getting an LX variety M8, but I was wondering if you ever broke into an Apple CCK to see if converted to a Lightning to USB B mini cable?

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #4,654 of 5,999
Ordered mine last week, hoping to have a portable version of my hdva600, to drive my hd650. Really can't wait.

The M8 and HD650s are a fantastic pairing.  You should shop for a balanced cable, while you wait...

I can vouch for this as well.....I have the HD600, which are similar to the HD650 (I find the 600 to be slightly more neutral than the 650). I swapped the stock cable out for a shorter balanced Headphone Lounge cable and find a distinct improvement in clarity and detail....a highly recommended change :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #4,655 of 5,999
I can vouch for this as well.....I have the HD600, which are similar to the HD650 (I find the 600 to be slightly more neutral than the 650). I swapped the stock cable out for a shorter balanced Headphone Lounge cable and find a distinct improvement in clarity and detail....a highly recommended change :)

Thank you guys for your advices, I already bought the balanced cable for my other amp: unfortunately I moved right after I received it and at the moment I have everything on a ship... So now, all I've got is an a200p and a pair of shr840, it's like giving catnip to an opium addicted.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #4,657 of 5,999
I know you're getting an LX variety M8, but I was wondering if you ever broke into an Apple CCK to see if converted to a Lightning to USB B mini cable?

I'm actually waiting on an i-device version. Haven't played with the cck but may pick one up to try. Are you referring to chopping it up to mod into something lower profile? I suppose if I had the cck I probably wouldn't be able to resist trying!

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #4,658 of 5,999
  I use the HiFi-M8 with the LCD-2.  Works great through both balanced and single-ended.  

Does it have enough power to drive the lcd-2? What the gain setting?

Audeze stuff isn't that tough to drive.  Its the Hifiman orthos, like the HE-6 that's a real challange...

Partially agree -- the LCD-2 is not very hard to drive, but a stock iPod or smartphone leaves the sound lacking.  I usually pair it with a high-gain amp like the Fiio E12 or M8.  

Regarding the gain setting:  I put the M8 gain on the middle setting, which gives more than enough gain for the LCD-2.   I also set the impedance switch all the way to the right (1 ohm setting).  Tone settings are all flat (to the left).   I used it last night with a balanced Headphonelounge cable  and it sounded amazing.    I usually start listening to it at a moderate volume and then slowly turn down the volume bit by bit as I extend the listening session.  

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #4,659 of 5,999
I'm actually waiting on an i-device version. Haven't played with the cck but may pick one up to try. Are you referring to chopping it up to mod into something lower profile? I suppose if I had the cck I probably wouldn't be able to resist trying!

If you're up to it, I'll send you one for you, and maybe one for me.......
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #4,660 of 5,999
Hi, when I placed my order I've chosen the classic version, even if I don't have any apple player, just in case I should buy one. Now I'm kinda regretting the choice as I was thinking that an optical input would have offered me more options, so the question is: in case I could change my order, should I still be able to easily use an apple device using the other USB port?
Thanks!

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4,661 of 5,999
That's a very broad question, it would depend of course on which exact Apple device you would be using.

The short answer is any iDevice which is compatible with Apple's Camera Connection Kit (CCK) should work connected to the M8 LX's USB input.

Originally that meant only the iPad, however in recent months Apple did push updates that unlocked CCK compatibility for newer iPhone, and iPod Touch models.

What's not clear and nobody can promise you, is if Apple will always support USB audio over the CCK on any particular iDevice in the future, with any particular future iOS update.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #4,663 of 5,999
That's a very broad question, it would depend of course on which exact Apple device you would be using.

The short answer is any iDevice which is compatible with Apple's Camera Connection Kit (CCK) should work connected to the M8 LX's USB input.

Originally that meant only the iPad, however in recent months Apple did push updates that unlocked CCK compatibility for newer iPhone, and iPod Touch models.

What's not clear and nobody can promise you, is if Apple will always support USB audio over the CCK on any particular iDevice in the future, with any particular future iOS update.

If you use an iPad and have either the 30-pin CCK or the Lightning-to-USB Camera adapter (sometimes also called the CCK), you can get the M8 to play nice through its USB B port (square with bent corners).  Either M8 should work with these.  

I've used an iPad 2 and an iPad mini (non retina) and both work with it that way.   The iPad 2 still is on iOS 4.3.3.  I had an old iPad (original version) but sold it to Target because they made an offer I could not refuse.  But I'm pretty sure that one works, too.  

Now, when iOS 7 came out, the "digital audio hole" was created with any iDevice that can run that OS.  Now the iPhone 4, the 4s, and all the various 5/5s/5c models would work with the CCK too.  I had an iPhone 4 that worked great this way, and I can confirm the iPhone 5 works as well.  

The cabling is kind of a pain, though. 

If you have an older iDevice, like an iPod Touch 4th or 3rd gen, or an older iPhone 3GS, or an iPod Classic, you would need to use the iDevice version of the M8 and connect to the USB A port (flat rectangle).  And you can use the iPads and the newer iPhones/Touches this way, too.  The cabling is any standard one that ends in a USB A jack.  I've tested pretty much all of the above except the iPod Classic.  But the audio is currently limited to 48kHz sampling and lower.  CEntrance has promised to get us a firmware patch, but it has not happened yet (and it may be held up by Apple as their support of hi-res is spotty -- you can't load the files into the device, for example).  

Here's hoping that Pono pushes Apple to finally do hi-res.  If so, Apple would probably tie hi-res to an iOS release (so only those devices which can get the next iOS would be able to load up 24/96 files into the native Music app).  

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #4,664 of 5,999

thank you for your reply, at the moment I was thinking about an iPod classic, or an iPhone, but I'm kinda loyal to the android os, anyway it's more about having the most options possible. Again thank you.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #4,665 of 5,999
thank you for your reply, at the moment I was thinking about an iPod classic, or an iPhone, but I'm kinda loyal to the android os, anyway it's more about having the most options possible. Again thank you.

If you have an Android phone with satisfactory storage, you might be able to use a hi res app like USB Audio Player Pro.  But your results may vary, as many phone manufacturers hack up the OS to more fit their wants and needs...

Might want to scope out the Android thread, to see if anyone with your particular flavor of phone already had success...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back