The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
May 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #4,696 of 5,999
My light goes off after it's done charging from the wall wart.
I'd recommend running battery almost all the way down once and plugging back into wall for a recharge.

May 5, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #4,697 of 5,999
It's been some time since I checked into this thread. Can the M8 play DSD if a suitable player is used? For example using the Onkyo HF Player on my iPhone, the Theorem 720 will.

May 5, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #4,698 of 5,999
It's been some time since I checked into this thread. Can the M8 play DSD if a suitable player is used? For example using the Onkyo HF Player on my iPhone, the Theorem 720 will.

The player handles the format.  I know Jude had success with DSD and the AK120 to his M8 LX.  It might have been some kind of conversion, but it played none the less...

May 5, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #4,699 of 5,999

The player handles the format.  I know Jude had success with DSD and the AK120 to his M8 LX.  It might have been some kind of conversion, but it played none the less...

In that case, it would be the AK120 doing on-the-fly conversion to PCM and then feeding that to the M8  Perhaps I should expand my question to mean would the M8 when connected to a mac/PC/iDevice/Android play DSD if one uses one of the DSD-capable apps like Onkyo HF, Audirvana+ etc? Thanks

May 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #4,700 of 5,999
In that case, it would be the AK120 doing on-the-fly conversion to PCM and then feeding that to the M8  Perhaps I should expand my question to mean would the M8 when connected to a mac/PC/iDevice/Android play DSD if one uses one of the DSD-capable apps like Onkyo HF, Audirvana+ etc? Thanks

I have Bit Perfect which supports DSD but it's disabled internally because it does not detect native DSD support from M8.

May 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4,701 of 5,999

I have Bit Perfect which supports DSD but it's disabled internally because it does not detect native DSD support from M8.

Did you install M8's driver from CEntrance?

May 6, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4,705 of 5,999
I noticed something the other day and I was wondering if anyone can reproduce the same effect.

Firstly let me say that I am using a m8 that has had the IEM mod applied because I use JH13s and could definitely hear that hiss.  It wasnt so bad at first until I became used to the awesomeness of the sound that I was hearing.  Once my ears were sufficiently trained on that good cake doggie, the hiss reared its ugly head in some quiet parts of songs.  Most notably the first minute or so of Reflektor.  Or at least thats one of the songs I spammed the most so I 'learned' it quite well and could notice the hiss.  Anywho I got the son gun modded.

Ok cool so IEM mod applied all good.  And oddly enough, going to higher gains didnt really bring it back so Id be interested in exactly was is causing it.

Im rocking out, enjoying life and then I see Jude go off on this UHDD binaural album and he told me to go buy it.  I did.  First HDtracks purchase, thank you very much.  

Im listening to it and it rules, its really cool Im digging it and the spatial tests were really cool.  Even though I thought the JH13s (or m8 i dunno Im on a work trip so I havent gotten back to my phones..) didnt do as well with the front/rear test.  I could hear the height although subtle.  I could hear the guy walking in a circle around me (the gradual changes definitely made the front/back less of an issue and was easily noticed.)  All good all good.  Then the bass tests hit.  All good I could hear heart beats thats sounded relatively flat to 30 Hz.  I was disappointed that 20 didnt seem flat but oh well.

Then the tones.  Oh the tones.  Definitely seemed not to be all that flat after about 45 so I start cranking the volume and flipping the bass switch etc.  Now here is the weird thing.  After about 60 Hz (im guessing I havent fully tested, again work trip) moving the volume pot would add noise.  Only when it was moving though.  This is not present in the higher tones.  I was wondering if I am able to notice this because of the JH13s super high sensitivity or if it happens consistently, or if it is a JH13 artifact although I highly doubt that.  It seemed to me to be mostly in the right channel.  I also felt that sometimes immediately after a bass switch I would get a slight click or pop (hell could have just been the physical sound of the switch but Im thinking not.)

Can anyone else reproduce this noise?  Try the low frequency tones and adjust the volume.  Just me?  

May 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4,706 of 5,999
To users of JPlayer on iphone / itouch -- has the latest update killed the app through the M8?

I've been able to stream / play audio with JPlayer to the M8 via lightning for the past 6 months or so.  The developer just did a big update to the app this past week, and now JPlayer doesn't work through the M8.

Other music apps such as Spotify or the native music app plays just fine through the M8.  I also uninstalled / reinstalled JPlayer, but no dice.  Thanks. 

Edit - after "scorched earth"ing the itouch, wiping the thing using itunes, then reinstalling JRemote, all's good again.  

May 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #4,707 of 5,999
A few shots of the hifi-m8 mini prototype (upside down-sorry).

ehabu9eb.jpg

de7e8eha.jpg

pu9u6ade.jpg

May 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #4,709 of 5,999
How does the native 24/96or192 sound direct from iPhone 5 and Lightning cable?

May 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4,710 of 5,999
Idevices via lightning cable only do 16/48 or 16/96 from my research(to usb-a).

If using Apple CCK to usb-B we can do 24 bits and 24/26 etc. (usb-B being the square looking plug hole).

------/

The sound of the hifi-m8 mini prototype.
Keeping in mind that it is a prototype.... I thought the sound was comparable to the full sized hifi-m8.

It does lack volume at low gain, high gain was more than enough with the IEMs i was using (DITA-The Truth).
I wonder what the gain settings are compared to the full sized model.
and the difference in power.

I assume that the OI is at 1 or 2 ohms but will confirm that.

Of course it is lacking also the bass and treble switches -which i dont use much anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back