The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #4,666 of 5,999
Having a a200p for my main phone (nexus 5) I already had to face the necessity of buying audio player pro, but I also own a note2, and that would be my audio carrier of choice. What I'm considering though is that, the moment I should decide to use the amp with other players, having a second USB port would help me only with apple products, but in that case I could also use the cck; besides let's say one day I want to connect a ps3 through its optical ouput, well in that case having a second USB port would be more a limitation, am I correct?

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #4,667 of 5,999
Having a a200p for my main phone (nexus 5) I already had to face the necessity of buying audio player pro, but I also own a note2, and that would be my audio carrier of choice. What I'm considering though is that, the moment I should decide to use the amp with other players, having a second USB port would help me only with apple products, but in that case I could also use the cck; besides let's say one day I want to connect a ps3 through its optical ouput, well in that case having a second USB port would be more a limitation, am I correct?

The USB B port is for computer input and now CCK input.  The other USB input on the iDevice models are strictly for iDevice input only.  The LX model ditches the iDevice port for an optical input instead.  The most common use for this, I would have to say, is the current fleet of Astell & Kern DAPs, which have optical out sharing an output with the 1/8" headphone out.  Maybe I should say the AK100 and AK120, as I'm not sure if the AK240 kept the optical out trend or not...

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,669 of 5,999

The iPod Classic won't work, only iOS devices are compatible with the CCK.

The USB B port is for computer input and now CCK input.  The other USB input on the iDevice models are strictly for iDevice input only.  The LX model ditches the iDevice port for an optical input instead.  The most common use for this, I would have to say, is the current fleet of Astell & Kern DAPs, which have optical out sharing an output with the 1/8" headphone out.  Maybe I should say the AK100 and AK120, as I'm not sure if the AK240 kept the optical out trend or not...

Thank you very much for your kind replies, I'll change my order considering that I'm more prone to eventually get an ios device than an Ipod, and I will mainly use my pc at work or my android phone

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #4,670 of 5,999
Not sure if I'm missing a point (seemingly not technically minded enough to work this out myself) - however, Android advises that the M8 is an "Isynchronous" device...

Is that better, worse, or not relevant to "Asynchronous"?

May 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #4,671 of 5,999
You know, I was thinking the other day...

Good Mr. Goodman and team are working on a firmware update for iOS devices so that they can do 24/96 without CCK.

But it dawned on me that it might be better if they were to use the CCK chip and build a badass CCK inclusive cable that went from lightning straight to USB B. Basically just get rid of the USB A female and have it internally hard wired to always be a USB B and it would be in a much smaller form factor than current CCK solutions.

This would not only give us 24/96 like the firmware update but also 24/192!

Moreover it would allow many people to drop the iDevice input (now only needed for legacy products like iPod Classic) in favor of an optical port that can work with more devices!

Maybe if enough of us want this...

May 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #4,673 of 5,999

Good Mr. Goodman and team are working on a firmware update for iOS devices so that they can do 24/96 without CCK.

But it dawned on me that it might be better if they were to use the CCK chip and build a badass CCK inclusive cable that went from lightning straight to USB B. Basically just get rid of the USB A female and have it internally hard wired to always be a USB B and it would be in a much smaller form factor than current CCK solutions.

Moreover it would allow many people to drop the iDevice input (now only needed for legacy products like iPod Classic) in favor of an optical port that can work with more devices!

+1 :D

May 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #4,674 of 5,999

Funny, I've been chatting with the great, great @thegrobe about the same thing.  He wants to take a crack at doing just that.  But patients is needed, for there's much Apple "secrete sauce" to overcome....

May 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #4,676 of 5,999
Funny, I've been chatting with the great, great @thegrobe
about the same thing.  He wants to take a crack at doing just that.  But patients is needed, for there's much Apple "secrete sauce" to overcome....

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one thinking on this, ya know if those knock off CCK type products can do it then surely the good guys can pull something off.

Another thing I was wondering is if there is a thread out there fore preferred settings with different phones? That would be kinda neat since there's a lot of customizability with the m8. I know that I have different settings depending on what I am listening with lol

May 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4,677 of 5,999
It's nice to know I wasn't the only one thinking on this, ya know if those knock off CCK type products can do it then surely the good guys can pull something off.

Another thing I was wondering is if there is a thread out there fore preferred settings with different phones? That would be kinda neat since there's a lot of customizability with the m8. I know that I have different settings depending on what I am listening with lol

There is the appreciation thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread

We talked about the knock off CCK's but we both came to the conclusion that the "secrete sauce" needs to be in tact to still work for us audiophiles....

May 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,678 of 5,999

Funny, I've been chatting with the great, great @thegrobe about the same thing.  He wants to take a crack at doing just that.  But patients is needed, for there's much Apple "secrete sauce" to overcome....

Well, *blush* I don't know about TWO "great"s. One singular great is using the term loosely, bordering on exaggeration. LOL. 
tongue.gif

Anyways, making a custom CCK> B cable should be pretty straightforward. It would involve harvesting the "secret sauce" components from the CCK cable, and then building a custom, low profile USB cable to replace the excess CCK cable, A connector, and USB B cable. Just build it all into one, with the little braided wires and low profile "B" end. Similar to the regular lightning >A cables I've made. Certainly do-able!

There is one holdup though! One vital thing has to happen. I need Centrance ship my M8, so I can build/test the cable. Maybe May is the magical month. ??

I'll post here as soon as I'm able to have a crack at the CCK thing. I'll PM you as well Jeff. 

I believe I read somewhere (maybe not even this site) that the CCK/ hi-res audio trick only works with the genuine Apple CCK product. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! From my experience with the regular lighting cables, the knock-off parts are much easier to perform "surgery" on (as well as being cheaper!). The Apple parts are nearly a "self-destruct" situation when they are taken apart. Not impossible, just much much much more difficult, and the risk of destroying a $25 cable each time...well, kind of discouraging. So if a knock off CCK will work for the hi-res audio trick, I'd love to hear about it. 

May 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #4,679 of 5,999
Good day! 

I plan on buying the m8 xl4 in a few weeks to use for my hd800 and ipad but I also want this dac/amp to be used for my computer at home.

1. Can I actually use the 1/8 out for my powered speakers? (swans t200b)

2. If I plug the m8 to the power outlet will it still use the built in battery?

Thanks alot!

May 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #4,680 of 5,999
  Good day! 

I plan on buying the m8 xl4 in a few weeks to use for my hd800 and ipad but I also want this dac/amp to be used for my computer at home.

1. Can I actually use the 1/8 out for my powered speakers? (swans t200b)

2. If I plug the m8 to the power outlet will it still use the built in battery?

Thanks alot!

1, you can but it is not recommended, as it might not have enough power.
2, yes but not as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back