The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jan 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,126 of 5,999
Quote:
I thought about this when I read it too.

Michael, please address this. I was intending to use the M8 most of the time with very sensitive IEMs.

Same here. A portable amp powered to drive open-ear full sized cans is not as practical as a unit to power Heir, JHaudio, Westone, or similar high-end IEM headphones. I plan on getting a pair of Audeze LCD2/3, but they won't really leave home, and therefor can be driven by my PanAm or other full sized amps.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,127 of 5,999
Ditto on the LOUD and sensitive iem's.  That said, this particular piece of equipment never struck me as the best choice for sensitive iem's, though I am frequently wrong on such things....

EDIT - Just saw today's post - hopefully not too LOUD!  Though with 0 gain at low, it should be OK for most folks with iems.  If you are one of the freaks out there (myself included) with sensitive iems and quiet listening habits, 0 gain may still be too loud once you get past channel imbalance depending on the volume pot.  I will note that the DacPort was usable for iems for me, but just, and I know the gain is higher than 0.  I'm personally not concerned - this won't really be an iem rig for me.  If it works as such, bonus!  My iem rig has finally shrunk down to just an ipod touch 4G

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,128 of 5,999
Add one more from the pre-order list wanting clarification on "LOUD".  I paid with the understanding that the HiFi M8 would be suitably quiet and have adequate volume range for custom IEMs.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #1,129 of 5,999
I just took it to mean that it could go loud (and be adjusted for lower volumes using he volume knob) and that he was just engaging in
some overexcited hyperbole before he heads to the show.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #1,130 of 5,999
Quote:
I just took it to mean that it could go loud (and be adjusted for lower volumes using he volume knob) and that he was just engaging in
some overexcited hyperbole before he heads to the show.

1) I'm sure you are right.
2) Volume knob to turn it down?  What a concept! (I jest...) 
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,131 of 5,999
Well I'm not concerned at all. Are we forgetting this thing has a mulit-level gain switch and a multi-value impedance switch. If the gain, and impedance was at a fixed value, then yes, there would be reason for concern. I for one am glad this thing is powerful enough to drive most headphones. And with the gain, and impedance options, it should have no problems driving sensitive iems. Don't worry Michael, please continue to move forward.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #1,132 of 5,999
Quote:
1) I'm sure you are right.
2) Volume knob to turn it down?  What a concept! (I jest...) 
wink.gif

LOL.....

I'm trying to get my son to meet me in LV for CES!  Michael has said he has brought a prototype which should be very close to the finished product. I want to go! I need to go to test it for all of you, to put your minds at ease 
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #1,136 of 5,999
Quote:
Is anybody else concerned with today's blog entry at Centrance? "BOY, IS THIS THING LOUD!" Seems like this isn't promising for IEM users. I'm sure it will be a godsend to those with inefficient cans (such as my K601).

Because of the gain and impedance options I wasn't so much concerned about IEM usage when I read that, what does concern me is the emphasis on how loud it is not how good it sounds.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,137 of 5,999
Quote:

Because of the gain and impedance options I wasn't so much concerned about IEM usage when I read that, what does concern me is the emphasis on how loud it is not how good it sounds.

Unless Centrance screws the pooch, it will sound really, really good.  I doubt Centrance will step in it, so I expect it to sound really, really good.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,138 of 5,999
Hey Ya'll,
Michael is at CES with the newest M8 prototype and wont be online much. Just be rest assured, the lowest gain setting will be perfectly suited for IEM users. We have been testing several different pairs to find the sweet spot so that there is plenty of usable pot space and your not riding it at the bottom!

Thanks for your patience, we are working hard to make this one a knockout.

-Kenny

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,139 of 5,999
Just be rest assured, the lowest gain setting will be perfectly suited for IEM users. We have been testing several different pairs to find the sweet spot so that there is plenty of usable pot space and your not riding it at the bottom!

Thank you, Kenny. That's very reassuring as IEMs (JH 13 Pro) will see the most use with my M8. Any short-comings in the IEM space will be a deal-breaker for me.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,140 of 5,999
Just read the information about the HiFi-M8 on CEntrance's site and saw this chart...

Since I'm considering buying the CLAS or the HiFi-M8 I took a closer look at the CLAS in the chart I found out that if I pay $579 I get... nothing...
confused.gif

As far as I know, the first version CLAS at least supports iPad/iPhone/iPod and that it was initially built specifically for the iDevices. Maybe I'm all wrong, maybe CLAS doesn't refer to Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, no? Anyway, as most of you probably already know, the "CLAS -db" now (among other things) also supports USB input (24/192) and fully balanced analog line-level output (4 pin). One thing the CLAS still isn't, is an AMP, and that is ultra-clear if look in the chart. Centrance certainly got that right!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back