The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #4,111 of 5,999
  Aren't you both right?  If you are facing the front and reach to the back, then it is 11, 2, 1 left to right.  Kokushu was saying if you are looking at the back, that it is 1, 2, 11 left to right.

Let's get this straight. See image below. Does it show the impedance switch set to 1 Ohm or 11 Ohms?

hifi-m8-back-panel-controls-800.jpg

??

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #4,112 of 5,999
I also confuse my self. But based on my testing, that should be 11ohm shown in the picture. I Could be wrong thou. If i switch to the very right position, i notice the sound very slightly louder/fuller, does that mean lower ohm?

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #4,113 of 5,999
Aren't you both right?  If you are facing the front and reach to the back, then it is 11, 2, 1 left to right.  Kokushu was saying if you are looking at the back, that it is 1, 2, 11 left to right.

I never said anything about looking from the front and reaching behind. ?? Anyone sensibly describing a switch position would obviously be looking at the panel the switch is mounted on. (Back of unit)

Here's the post
From Kenny describing the switch position and the following discussion:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/885#post_9953330

Too bad this is so confusing. Listen...Your ears will also tell you!

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #4,114 of 5,999
  If I use a Micro USB Adapter between an iPod classic and a HIF-M8 LX, will that work? 

Sorry, no chance of getting an iPod Classic to work on an LX model, you will need an iDevice model.  The only speculation on getting any Apple gadgets to work on an LX, is they need to be IOS7 and using the camera connection kit to use the USB port normally used for computer connections to the M8.  But even if it does work now, all it would take is one firmware update to mess up the fun.  I wouldn't make a purchase based on this....

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #4,115 of 5,999
I never said anything about looking from the front and reaching behind. ?? Anyone sensibly describing a switch position would obviously be looking at the panel the switch is mounted on. (Back of unit)

Here's the post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/885#post_9953330

Thanks, this definitely clears it up-

-The impedance settings are actually 11, 2, 1 ohms from left to right. The quick start guide does seem to give the opposite impression, but the decision was made as such because as you decrease the output impedance there is a bit of a boost in gain. Sliding any of the switches to the right will always boost gain.

-Kenny

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #4,116 of 5,999

Here's the post

With this much confusion, I don't think you can reasonably assume anything and need to be explicit no matter how sensible you think your explanation is.  Kokushu indicated he got his info from CEntrance as well and it conflicts with what Kenny posted here.  I think it quite reasonable to assume people could be confusing the left to right based on how they are using the M8.  I never look at the switches when using them.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4,118 of 5,999
Dec 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #4,120 of 5,999
This sounds like it's time for the folks at CEntrance to take over and verify this again. Once and for all!

Really, this should be printed on the instructions included with the M8

I believe they are still working on a manual. They only have the quick settings guide so far. 

Hopefully some day soon we will be able to see an actual instruction manual. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #4,121 of 5,999
More important to me than which switch position equals how many ohms would be for users to post which position they have settled in as sounding best for a particular headphone.  Maybe we could get a an idea as to which position sounds best, to most, for say the Vmoda M100.  While we all hear differently it would be interesting to know what others feel is the best position for their headphones.  It, if there was some agreement, would be a starting point for personal experimentation.  So how about it, what position do you use for your headphones???

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4,123 of 5,999
Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jude is not always right. 
wink_face.gif

And I was not correct in the video. The order is--looking at the back panel--from left to right: 11Ω, 2Ω, 1Ω. To be clear, looking at the back panel, the leftmost position is 11Ω output impedance, and the rightmost position is 1Ω. I presented it oppositely--incorrectly--in the video.

Sorry we haven't yet posted a correction/annotation on the video, and for any confusion I caused.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #4,124 of 5,999

And I was not correct in the video. The order is--looking at the back panel--from left to right: 11Ω, 2Ω, 1Ω. To be clear, looking at the back panel, the leftmost position is 11Ω output impedance, and the rightmost position is 1Ω. I presented it oppositely--incorrectly--in the video.

Sorry we haven't yet posted a correction/annotation on the video, and for any confusion I caused.

Thanks for clarifying Jude.

This makes sense/jives with the small changes I'm hearing in testing the switch with some IEMs. 

So, here is a corrected image:

hifi-m8-back-panel-controls-800.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back