The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #4,021 of 5,999

I could not find @thegrobe's actual post, so I pinched the photo link instead.  Anyway, @thegrobe and I are neighbors, so I am probably the first to get one of these nifty little cables.  It is a perfect fit with nothing to spare for sure!  It is not MFI, so you get the little warning to dismiss (bfd…).  Very nice, compact fit, and very nice workmanship (high five @thegrobe!).  I will have to file the "top" and "bottom" of the right angle neutrik barrel that the lightning connector is fitted to, to get it past my SPECK "candy shell flip" case.  I could also remove just a bit of material from the case.  It is probably about 1/32" (.030") per side or less that needs to come off.  I suspect not all cases will have an issue, just depends on how small the hole through the case for the lightning connector is in a particular case.

Ahhh...dang. I didn't account for a case when I made these. Anyone who gets one and either the cable isn't long enough or the lightning connector needs to poke out more to clear a case...please send it back and I'll make you another. Learning curve..
wink.gif

No worries! We have entered the realm of "custom."

@thegrobe just stopped by with a new little cable with the lightning plug sticking out a little further past the Neutrik barrel.  It is a perfect fit with my Speck CandyShell Flip case.  there is about .025" or so to spare, give or take.  Awesome!  It really is a nice little compact cable, and a neat idea to use the Neutrik barrel.  Thank you @thegrobe!

Ugh! I wants one! My precious!

Judging from your cable fetish (much like my own case fetish), you sure do want one!  Very nicely done.  I owe @thegrobe a huge Peets coffee card, or a fur coat, or something!

Edit to add that @thegrobe also gave me a set of the plugs for the XLR, 1/4" jacks and the custom one he did for 1/8" jack.  For some reason, I was struggling with exactly what they did, even from the picture.  They are a really nice touch to protect those jacks.  Now I kinda want one for the USB as well.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #4,024 of 5,999
Received finally my HiFi-M8 LX after.... a 10 months wait.  

In the mean time, since I could not wait, I bought other portable amps: a TU-05 with... tubes.  

So ... my " never used " LX is for sale  (I am based in Belgium, Europe) . If someone is interested, please PM me.

Outputs are : XLR + 1/4 + 1/8 jack.

And If someone is interested, I can ship with it a brand New AKG K249 MKII  with it for a small additional fee.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,026 of 5,999

I could not find @thegrobe's actual post, so I pinched the photo link instead.  Anyway, @thegrobe and I are neighbors, so I am probably the first to get one of these nifty little cables.  It is a perfect fit with nothing to spare for sure!  It is not MFI, so you get the little warning to dismiss (bfd…).  Very nice, compact fit, and very nice workmanship (high five @thegrobe!).  I will have to file the "top" and "bottom" of the right angle neutrik barrel that the lightning connector is fitted to, to get it past my SPECK "candy shell flip" case.  I could also remove just a bit of material from the case.  It is probably about 1/32" (.030") per side or less that needs to come off.  I suspect not all cases will have an issue, just depends on how small the hole through the case for the lightning connector is in a particular case.

I just got mine.  Beautifully made, fits beautifully, works perfectly.  Mine doesn't even throw the "unapproved" message, it just works.  Second high five @thegrobe!

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4,029 of 5,999
+1 for grobe

haven't got my cable yet but we had a good chat about the measurements to fit the standard apple ip5 case. should be fitted down to the mm !

i understand why centrance can't package an unofficial cable, but if you want one, this looks so far to be the neatest option

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4,031 of 5,999
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm glad that my little experiment is working out well for you folks. I would really like to see an ultra compact right angle digital dock like this made with the "certified" parts. (CEntrance...?)

Although I guess before ios7 none of us were worried much about it...To quote aameford, dismissing the warning is not a "bfd". LOL. But maybe for peace of mind, it would be nice. Maybe when CEntrance makes an official lightning cable, the configuration could be similar. That would be great!

What I like about this is that due to the low profile, that there is really no pressure or strain on the cable section itself even if the rig is jammed in a pocket.

One thing to keep in mind- although the size, cable exit etc was made with the M8 in mind, this cable should work on other i-device DAC's. (Cl Solo, HP-P1 etc) Provided the cable length etc reaches between your two devices. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #4,032 of 5,999
Hey.... proud members of the Centrance Community, the First FREE HD Download is available on LINN.  

There will offer one per day until Christmas, but...Hurry, each one is available for free only  24 hours...

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #4,033 of 5,999
  Hey.... proud members of the Centrance Community, the First FREE HD Download is available on LINN.  

There will offer one per day until Christmas, but...Hurry, each one is available for free only  24 hours...

Edited for brevity...

Quick warning - MAC users watch out for the Linn Download Manager.  It requires the installation of Adobe AIR, and then downloads the install manager.  The DL manager works well, but either it or Adobe AIR then hosed up my macbook air running Mtn. Lion.  Recovered by starting in safe mode, and blocking Adobe, then uninstalling the Linn DL manager, and then going to utilities and running the Adobe AIR uninstaller.  Everything seems ok now.  Maybe skip the DL manager and use the download option instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back