The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #4,006 of 5,999

I could not find @thegrobe's actual post, so I pinched the photo link instead.  Anyway, @thegrobe and I are neighbors, so I am probably the first to get one of these nifty little cables.  It is a perfect fit with nothing to spare for sure!  It is not MFI, so you get the little warning to dismiss (bfd…).  Very nice, compact fit, and very nice workmanship (high five @thegrobe!).  I will have to file the "top" and "bottom" of the right angle neutrik barrel that the lightning connector is fitted to, to get it past my SPECK "candy shell flip" case.  I could also remove just a bit of material from the case.  It is probably about 1/32" (.030") per side or less that needs to come off.  I suspect not all cases will have an issue, just depends on how small the hole through the case for the lightning connector is in a particular case.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #4,007 of 5,999

I could not find @thegrobe
's actual post, so I pinched the photo link instead.  Anyway, @thegrobe
 and I are neighbors, so I am probably the first to get one of these nifty little cables.  It is a perfect fit with nothing to spare for sure!  It is not MFI, so you get the little warning to dismiss (bfd…).  Very nice, compact fit, and very nice workmanship (high five @thegrobe
!).  I will have to file the "top" and "bottom" of the right angle neutrik barrel that the lightning connector is fitted to, to get it past my SPECK "candy shell flip" case.  I could also remove just a bit of material from the case.  It is probably about 1/32" (.030") per side or less that needs to come off.  I suspect not all cases will have an issue, just depends on how small the hole through the case for the lightning connector is in a particular case.

Ahhh...dang. I didn't account for a case when I made these. Anyone who gets one and either the cable isn't long enough or the lightning connector needs to poke out more to clear a case...please send it back and I'll make you another. Learning curve..:wink:

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4,011 of 5,999
Would love to hear it if I have any chance!!!

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #4,013 of 5,999
Would love to hear it if I have any chance!!!

Same post in the Alpha Dog thread. Might be misplaced.

@expatinjapan hears differences in the USB cables. I don't. I have a couple of short ones and a long one for convenience. I actually use the long one most of the time. HIFI-M8 sits like an amp, iPhone works like a wired remote. Usually the most convenient for me.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #4,017 of 5,999
Looks like it. I'll measure up the M-8 and see. I have a bad case fetish. I think I *need* one...

Be forewarned, the measurement on the site are external, so inside will be slightly smaller.  But Timbuk2 is in San Fransisco, and they have a storefront.  So, you could visit and try right there I guess...

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #4,018 of 5,999
Yeah So,,,Pictured is a "Case Logic MSEC-4 EVA Molded Camcorder Case" ....Works very well and only $15 or so......Top as a sleeve/pouch that embeds the M8,,,,the charger, bands, cables etc. fit nicely in bottom half....Top and bottom sides are semi rigid plastic offering good protection.....The Timbuk is too small.....

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #4,020 of 5,999
Ok, I'll bite...

The iPhone or USB ports on the centrance receive digital USB data. I don't get how any cable will make any difference whatsoever to the sound unless it's so bad it's dropping bits.

School me... :)

Since you have already decided that they can't make a difference, then don't worry about it, save your money and allow others to spend theirs however they want. If you really are open minded and really want to know if they could, google around. Gordon Rankin has written about it. This isn't the place for people to convince others that they do or don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back