The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #3,676 of 5,999
Some other advantages of the iDevice M8 over the LX M8 when used with iPhones/iPods: 

1)  The iDevice version should (does? I think it is a standard configuration for some already) work with the iPod Classic, as well as with older iPods that run iOS but not the latest iOS 7 like the Touch 3rd and 4th generations.  Legacy device support may be important to some.

2)  The iDevice version is designed to work with iDevices..  If for some reason your LX M8 doesn't work with your iDevice and CCK or Lightning-to-USB, Apple probably won't help, and I think it is a bit much to ask Michael at Centrance to help as he has a dedicated solution for you already available.  You take a chance that something about your setup does not work with no recourse should it not work.

I think the second point is a little different than the issue of Apple pulling CCK compatibility away from iPhones in a future update.  We don't know exactly what is compatible, nor is there any simple way to test all the possibilities.  I've already experienced some DACs playing nicely with the iPhone, iOS 7 and CCK and some not, and the dependence is with differing sample rates. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #3,680 of 5,999

I'm waiting for M8's DSD upgrade. :D

You don't have to, just find something that can decode DSD into PCM and pass it to toslink to the M8 LX.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,685 of 5,999
I was looking for a smaller charger that would still provide enough current for the M8, but for the life of me, I can't find the post where Michael talked about minimum requirements for a charger (ie minimum voltage and current to keep the m8 going indefinitely).  I did some searches, but nothing came up.  Went through the blog, too.

At any rate, if Michael is watching, would this charger do?  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=120-052

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #3,686 of 5,999
  I was looking for a smaller charger that would still provide enough current for the M8, but for the life of me, I can't find the post where Michael talked about minimum requirements for a charger (ie minimum voltage and current to keep the m8 going indefinitely).  I did some searches, but nothing came up.  Went through the blog, too.

At any rate, if Michael is watching, would this charger do?  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=120-052

That should be good.  I've been using this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHOSJ6S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which is rated at the same power, and it's been fine.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #3,687 of 5,999

That should be good.  I've been using this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHOSJ6S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which is rated at the same power, and it's been fine.

Been curious on the same subject. @barbes, are you using just to charge?  Or actually, I think the M8 runs off battery, even when plugged in, and the charger just charges the battery?  Trying to get my arms around the CEntrance supplied 19V charger vs. these 12V chargers.  If they charge the battery, even more slowly, they would be ideal for travel, though maybe not as good for a quick recharge on layover between flights.  Has anyone found a 19V charger that is more compact, or does the voltage of the charger really matter?

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,688 of 5,999

Been curious on the same subject. @barbes, are you using just to charge?  Or actually, I think the M8 runs off battery, even when plugged in, and the charger just charges the battery?  Trying to get my arms around the CEntrance supplied 19V charger vs. these 12V chargers.  If they charge the battery, even more slowly, they would be ideal for travel, though maybe not as good for a quick recharge on layover between flights.  Has anyone found a 19V charger that is more compact, or does the voltage of the charger really matter?

Just about anything with more voltage or more current moves to the same form factor that the M8s charger has.  You might have something that is a tiny bit different in shape or slightly smaller, but I haven't found anything yet that is significant enough to make a difference.  I don't think the more compact chargers will be able to keep both iPad and M8 fully charged.   

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #3,689 of 5,999
I ordered December 10, 2012.  Due to arrive October 9, 2013.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3,690 of 5,999

Just about anything with more voltage or more current moves to the same form factor that the M8s charger has.  You might have something that is a tiny bit different in shape or slightly smaller, but I haven't found anything yet that is significant enough to make a difference.  I don't think the more compact chargers will be able to keep both iPad and M8 fully charged.   

That would be acceptable.  My sessions are generally short.  When traveling, recharging at night is acceptable.  I'll never completely drain the battery, and a charged ipod/ipad well outlasts the M8 battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back