The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,661 of 5,999
Welcome to head-fi.  Sorry about your wallet.

I will probably use my M8 to drive my HD580s, along with Fostex T50RPs with Alpha Pads.  Both need some amp power to sing.  I am curious about the balanced vs. unbalanced question too.  Convenience is a big factor for me, but I would be willing to do some mods or cable replacements if I can get some sonic benefit for it, and on these two headphones in particular since they are so hard to drive.  

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #3,662 of 5,999
Got a response. Phew.

Also.

"We are preparing to send this unit shortly"

darthsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #3,663 of 5,999
*DO Note: in the past CCK has worked then been blocked in future Apple updates.
*Do Note: The Hifi-m8 LX version was not initially designed for use with Apple products, the Apple version is the Hifi-M8.

Apple products on the Hifi-LX version using OS7 and CCK via the USB-B hub.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:
I've tried a CEntrance HiFi-M8 XL today on IPad mini IOS 6.1.2 with the Lightning CCK, and Android phone with an OTG to USB adaptor, using a random USB A - USB B cable, both are not working. The IPad mini shows not supported and Android shows nothing. I played music with the original audio player from the system. Before I've tried the same set-up with Apex Glacier and it worked flawlessly. I am not sure but those who wants to use XL version with idevice and android system please check again.

Originally Posted by chubbyroaster: come to tried the same set up with the different USB cable again for above mentioned system today, I CONFIRMED THAT BOTH SET UP CAN BE USED ON CENtrance HiFi M8 XL VERSION. THE M8 NEEDED TO BE RESTART AFTER THE USB CABLE IS CONNECTED, AND BOTH SET UP SOUNDS GREAT. I use HD600 and T90 and they sound fantastic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/90#post_9838935

________________________________________________________________________________

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3,664 of 5,999
If this is the case, then the LX version is the superior version? Correct me if I'm wrong.
It has TOSLINK and 24/96 iOS support via the USB-B port.
This also means that the iDevice version of the M8 should be able to do 24/96 through the USB-B port too.
The only thing you give up is the iDevice charging support (I think) and aesthetics of not using a CCK.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #3,665 of 5,999
  If this is the case, then the LX version is the superior version? Correct me if I'm wrong.
This also means that the iDevice version of the M8 should be able to do 24/96 through the USB-B port too.
The only thing you give up is the iDevice charging support (I think) and aesthetics of not using a CCK.

I think this is pretty much the case.  However, I don't think you will really do the M8 justice with iDevices.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #3,666 of 5,999

See my *Do Note in my above post.

Apple has allowed the use of CCK to `slip through` before and then cancelled its functioning in later updates.

I would hate for someone to put all their chicks in one nest and then later have it turn sour on them.

*Also the ipods will still have limitations on their output is my guess-because it is an Apple software issue.
Centrance is working on unlocking the 24/96 on idevices for use with the Hifi-m8 at the moment.
-Whether this will work with USB-A only or also the USB-B is unknown.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3,667 of 5,999
  I think this is pretty much the case.  However, I don't think you will really do the M8 justice with iDevices.

Why?  If you are digitally extracting the data from the device and doing all the processing and amplifying with the M8, aren't you just using the device as storage and interface?

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #3,668 of 5,999

Why?  If you are digitally extracting the data from the device and doing all the processing and amplifying with the M8, aren't you just using the device as storage and interface?

Not really, but I am a little bias about this as I will be using my LX with my AK120, and I think the VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon is better for iDevices with its OpAmp options and 32/192 up scan.  Of course the M8 is great for the iDevices too with its amp, but with its 24/96 problems I will take the SDT over the M8 at this time.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #3,669 of 5,999

I think it is more that iOS supports the M8 via USB B right now.  There is no official support from CEntrance other than direct digital extraction via the USB A port.  No official support from Apple either.  It just happens to work right now.  It wouldn't make business sense for Apple to let the functionality stand, as it potentially harms its MFI partners and releases some of their tight control over how their devices are used.  

I have gotten to the point in my journey (both Headfi and real life) that aesthetics and ergonomics are just as important to me as functionality.  A single short cable allowing perfect and supported functionality is worth the lack of TOSLINK input (never going to spend $1000 on a portable transport).  

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #3,671 of 5,999
  Not really, but I am a little bias about this as I will be using my LX with my AK120, and I think the VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon is better for iDevices with its OpAmp options and 32/192 up scan.  Of course the M8 is great for the iDevices too with its amp, but with its 24/96 problems I will take the SDT over the M8 at this time.

What do you mean "not really"?  Honestly.  Is there signal processing being done digitally before sending to an external DAC?   And why would rolling opamps and upsampling be better for iDevices and not the AK120?  

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #3,672 of 5,999
Has anyone gotten any external/portable batteries to charge M8 on the go? I'd appreciate some recommendations as the stock charging cable is quite bulky to lug around. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #3,673 of 5,999

What do you mean "not really"?  Honestly.  Is there signal processing being done digitally before sending to an external DAC?   And why would rolling opamps and upsampling be better for iDevices and not the AK120?

For DSD with the AK120, there is a DD conversion to PCM before sending it to the LX via Toslink and the DAC.  And of course 24/96 native will beat any upscan any day, but I don't think that part of the M8 has been fixed yet.  Please correct me if I am wrong, as I would love to hear feed back from any of you with the M8.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3,674 of 5,999
  For DSD with the AK120, there is a DD conversion to PCM before sending it to the LX via Toslink and the DAC.  And of course 24/96 native will beat any upscan any day, but I don't think that part of the M8 has been fixed yet.  Please correct me if I am wrong, as I would love to hear feed back from any of you with the M8.

I didn't know that the AK120 did DSD conversion.  Thanks.  So for the people who don't use DSD on a portable, the M8 and iDevices are an ideal pairing.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,675 of 5,999

I didn't know that the AK120 did DSD conversion.  Thanks.  So for the people who don't use DSD on a portable, the M8 and iDevices are an ideal pairing.

Exactly, but seriously we could use better news from CEntrance on the 24/96 front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back