The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Oct 24, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #377 of 820
Cayin & Less are amps, nothing more to it.

No dac, no bluetooth etc. Alternative? Barely.

Basically, it is in my case, as I am much more concerned with the power and peak voltage of the amp part of these portable amps or Centrance M8V2.
I will maybe go the way to use my Qudelix 5G BT with a real PEQ (in balanced mode connected to the amp) as a multipoint BT receiver for my office phone and personal phone, it can be convenient for office use (I doubt Centrance M8 v2 will accept multipoint connexion and have a mic for calls) even if using a power hungry Headphone like Hedd's one.

Actually just the Less amp seems to available.. so I will wait for next gen iFi and Cayin C9 ..let's hope the M8v2 will be there.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #379 of 820
specs are finally available !!

Good news, I was expecting 2x1.4W at 32 Ohms ... it seems to be this power at 40Ohms per channel on XLR (maw power is 1.6W at 75 Ohms) which should be in the target for my Heddphone by Hedd.

https://centrance.com/hifi-m8/
Capture specs.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #380 of 820
specs are finally available !!

Good news, I was expecting 2x1.4W at 32 Ohms ... it seems to be this power at 40Ohms per channel on XLR (maw power is 1.6W at 75 Ohms) which should be in the target for my Heddphone by Hedd.

https://centrance.com/hifi-m8/
Capture specs.JPG
I am a total newbie. How does this compare the XD-05 PLUS power at 1000mw. Ill be using 1/4 jack

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #381 of 820
I am a total newbie. How does this compare the XD-05 PLUS power at 1000mw. Ill be using 1/4 jack
By looking at the specs, less power. The Hi-Fi M8 has the advantage when going balanced. Honestly it’s hard to know if the Hi-Fi M8 is worth the additional price without doing a comparison. I expect the M8 to have better sound quality, but at this point it’s pure speculation.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #382 of 820
By looking at the specs, less power. The Hi-Fi M8 has the advantage when going balanced. Honestly it’s hard to know if the Hi-Fi M8 is worth the additional price without doing a comparison. I expect the M8 to have better sound quality, but at this point it’s pure speculation.
I own the xDuoo XD-05 Plus .... I am not using that much though sound quality is not bad at all even connected to a WM1A via 3.5mm output.
But it's falling short in power with my Heddphone by Hedd (Both USB input or 3.5mm input).

I really expect the Centrance M8v2 to reach the requirement level in balanced mode (via XLR4) due to the 1.4W at 40 Ohms and some instant peak voltage announced to reach 20V which can make a real difference in some case (to get powerful and clear impacts in Sub Bass and Bass sections like I can get with 6W out of my Monolith THX 887).

I think I will miss a 4.4mm input in the Centrance, but I knew it when I ordered it.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #384 of 820
Oct 27, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #388 of 820
Long time member and lurker here. I received mine on the 13th. The USPS box it came in was destroyed. The box was wrapped in a rubber band to hold everything in. I was amazed that the M8 was ok. I spoke to Michael about it and he has it on record in case there are any issues down the road. I've been listening to it almost everyday all day since. It's pretty amazing. Detail retrieval is pretty impressive.

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #389 of 820
in preparation for my HiFi-M8 v2, I purchased the following two USB-C cables:

Apple Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable (2 m) $129
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MWP32AM/A/thunderbolt-3-pro-cable-2-m

Belkin USB-C to USB-A 10 Gbps Cable $34
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/246749/Belkin-31-USB-A-To-USB/

I subscribe to Apple Music, which I stream through my 2013 iMac...
My iMac doesn't have USB-C ports, so I use an Amazon USB-C-to-USB-A basic Adapter for the Apple T3 Cable.

I purchased from a fellow Head-Fi member a pair of Fostex T60 RP headphones, with the stock 3.5mm cable.

Thank You Mark Goodman and the CEntrance TEAM for moving Heaven & Earth during this Pandemic to bring a smile to my face.

My HiFi-M8 arrived via the United States Postal Service, in an industrial-looking white vinyl Post Office bag, wrapped around the box.

Scissors out. I cut the USPS vinyl flap.

Box out. "New, eco-friendly packaging". High quality print. Box looks fresh. Text Crisp.

Come to Poppa.

Two CEntrance-branded black adhesive circles are all that stand in the way.

Carefully, I lift the the adhesive circles.

There is a black velvet bag + a USB-C cable + paperwork.

I open the Black Velvet bag, and out slides the HiFi-M8 into the palm of my hand.

Length-wise, it is 1/3 smaller than my iPhone 6+...2-3 centimeters shorter.

Width-wise, it is about 1 centimeter less than my iPhone 6+.

The HiFi-M8 body's rounded curves are elegant.

If Elon Musk made a Walkie-Talkie, it might look something like this.

I feel like I am getting my first car...and unlike my first car, a really really nice car.

I plug the rear-facing USB-C cable in.

White lights start pulsing from the Power Bar's Battery + USB icons.

I plug in the 1/4" 6.3mm Fostex headphone jack.

I toggle the front-facing input button from Bluetooth.

My iMac's volume icon grays out = my iMac's internal speakers are now hibernating.

I head over to Apple Music's Japan Top 100 https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/top-100-japan/pl.043a2c9876114d95a4659988497567be

#1 in Japan...LiSA's homura...cues up.

I plug in my T60's 3.5mm into the waiting 6.3mm jack.

I scroll the Volume wheel to zero...

I play PLAY...

Thumb scrolling the Volume wheel...

1 turn...I can barely hear the Bells...

A second turn...clearer but too subdued...

A third turn...still too subdued...

A fourth turn...now we are talking...

I am reluctant to try a fifth turn...so I slowly scroll the Volume wheel...is half a turn too much?

I switch the Gain to Hi.

Bass and Treble are perfect where they are...

LiSA = Risa Oribe (織部 里沙) can SING.

I replay homura...

Am I in the studio with her?

Day 1 is just beginning.

I am impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back