The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Aug 3, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #77 of 820
Standard USB-C. If you have USB-A, you can still connect with a USB-A to USB-C cable or similar

Aug 4, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #79 of 820
Is it possible to have both USB sockets take audio input but with just one of them drawing power?
I think it'll make the unit quite a lot more compact and neater with PC use....

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #80 of 820
Is it possible to have both USB sockets take audio input but with just one of them drawing power?
I think it'll make the unit quite a lot more compact and neater with PC use....

I would worry that could cause more problems than it's worth, to have two digital inputs and need to devise a selector switch.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #81 of 820
It sounds like CEntrance is trying to take an approach to handle USB controllers that don't act properly. It would be nice to have one input that can charge and handle data, so a computer could charge while providing data for playback, but maybe that's not feasible.

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #82 of 820
It sounds like CEntrance is trying to take an approach to handle USB controllers that don't act properly. It would be nice to have one input that can charge and handle data, so a computer could charge while providing data for playback, but maybe that's not feasible.
I believe, this is to isolate data from power. Which results in less data errors and in theoretically, better SQ.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #83 of 820
If that truly works, sounds good to me!

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #84 of 820

I believe, this is to isolate data from power. Which results in less data errors and in theoretically, better SQ.

Actually their original reason for doing this was to prevent older Android phones batteries from being drained by the DAC, when a smart phone tries to charge the DAC’s battery.

They’re currently considering the possibility of having a switch that would allow the USB port to accept data only, or data and charge, while still providing a charge port on the “hot” side.

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #85 of 820
I like the switch approach! I would see using it with my MacBook Pro via USB-C and an iPhone by likely the same (lighting for now but seems like they might change to USB-C). I VERY much would like to be able to take my computer with me and a single cable to charge from the computer and send data.

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #86 of 820
Just checking in about 4 weeks later. Any update? Thanks!

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #88 of 820
Once I heard from Michael Goodman that they didn't have room to also add a 4.4mm balanced jack to the 1/4" and 4-pin XLE, I ordered an adapter from Moon-Audio to let me plug my 4.4mm headphones into a 4-pin XLR (HE-1000se, HE-560, LCD-2 V2, and HD-800s). That way I can also use those 4.4mm phones on my HiFiM8 V1 and Eddie Current ZDT amps.

My R2R2000 DAP only has a 4.4mm balanced and a 3.5mm SE output, so I was hoping the 4.4mm jack wound become a new standard looking forward. In fact, the Sennheiser HD800s come with a 4.4mm balance cable (and a 1/4" cable), and their HDV820 amplifier has TWO 4.4mm jacks, in addition to the 1/4" and 4-pin XLR jacks for backward compatibility.

The 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm adapter was around $150 in Silver-Dragon cable, give or take a few bucks. But I wonder it would have been nicer in my view to just have a 4.4mm balanced jack on the HiFiM8 V2 for use with newer headphones that are shipping with the 4.4mm TRRRS plug, and then we'd buy an adapter to let us use 4-pin XLR cables to be backward compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back