The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Sep 12, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #91 of 820
It's a flagship piece and it lets you do A LOT. Yes on the helicopter control panel. The feeling of "being in control" is part of the vision. It's actually not that complex :wink: thickness is driven only by the size of the 4-pin XLR. It cannot get any thinner than this if you want the 4-pin XLR and the majority of people we surveyed wanted that jack. I don't think we need to make it wider though. Seems that everything we need already fits and it does go into a pocket easily.

Still wish for a 4.4mm jack which will future proof this device.

For example, it's using USB-C which is the future, while I'm still stuck in the past decade with micro USB and Lightning. But I'm happy with C even though I don't have as many cables, because more and more gear will be using it in the next year, while micro-USB is falling by the wayside.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #94 of 820
I would worry that could cause more problems than it's worth, to have two digital inputs and need to devise a selector switch.

That switch is already there! We made it possible to charge the device either from the front USB streaming jack (in case when the DAC is connected to a laptop) or from the back USB charging jack. This latter case is useful if the front USB jack is connected to a phone and you don't want to drain that phone's battery, yet want to charge the DAC while playing. You can charge from the wall, a power bank, etc., in this case.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #95 of 820
Ok, but I need some help from the community. Who knows of a reputable manufacturer of a 4.4mm female jack? I honestly hadn't had the time to research this yet, so if anybody knows of one, this will help.

I have to talk with Drew at Moon-Audio about some cables I need, and I’ll ask him about where to source the 4.4mm jacks. I don’t know if the ones that he uses in his adapter cables are the same ones that can be mounted into a chassis.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #96 of 820
Ok, but I need some help from the community. Who knows of a reputable manufacturer of a 4.4mm female jack? I honestly hadn't had the time to research this yet, so if anybody knows of one, this will help.

Just did a search in Google, doesn't look like there are very many manufacturers, but this is likely used in a number of DAPs:

http://www.ndics.com/en/products/pentaconn/

The 4.4mm would make for a slightly less crowded panel. However, full size balanced headphone cables are more commonly still 4-pin XLR. Using a female XLR to 4.4 mm pentacon adapter is a bit clunky (as I know from personal experience).

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #97 of 820
Just did a search in Google, doesn't look like there are very many manufacturers, but this is likely used in a number of DAPs:

http://www.ndics.com/en/products/pentaconn/

The 4.4mm would make for a slightly less crowded panel. However, full size balanced headphone cables are more commonly still 4-pin XLR. Using a female XLR to 4.4 mm pentacon adapter is a bit clunky (as I know from personal experience).

Yep, that's the one, thanks. I met with the team 3 years ago in Singapore but have misplaced their info. The reminder is much appreciated. Will try to keep the 4-pin XLR and add this, but not sure yet is possible.

Do you guys want 5 headphone jacks in the M8? Is that cool or what? :wink:

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #98 of 820
Yep, that's the one, thanks. I met with the team 3 years ago in Singapore but have misplaced their info. The reminder is much appreciated. Will try to keep the 4-pin XLR and add this, but not sure yet is possible.

YES YES YES

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #101 of 820
Will try to keep the 4-pin XLR and add this, but not sure yet is possible.

That would be truly awesome. FWIW, I'm out without the 4-pin XLR.

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #104 of 820
Only have 2.5 mm balanced, looks like I'll need a new adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back