The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jul 27, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,741 of 2,420
Any of you guys have experience taking a DAP and C5 amp stack on an airplane for listening? Wondering if it's a good idea or I risk getting it confiscated.

Three times but only in EU. They didn't even care
Going to bring it to Asia this August, plus an aluminium case in one hand with my headphones and amp inside, hopefully nothing will go wrong because of my handcarry

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,742 of 2,420
Any of you guys have experience taking a DAP and C5 amp stack on an airplane for listening? Wondering if it's a good idea or I risk getting it confiscated.

Hey! I'm curious why it would be confiscated? I used my dx90 alone through EU flight and didn't know there was any prohibitions? Thanks for sharing :wink:

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #1,743 of 2,420
  Hey! I'm curious why it would be confiscated? I used my dx90 alone through EU flight and didn't know there was any prohibitions? Thanks for sharing :wink:

I think there has to be some kind of certification/icon screen printed on it maybe.... ?

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,744 of 2,420
It just seems like an odd contraption with rubber holding it together and cables going from one to another. Average Joe might look at it funny, maybe security has seen such stacks.

I'm talking about amp and dap stacks btw; I presume DAPs are fine given they're a close relative of an iPod.

I think there has to be some kind of certification/icon screen printed on it maybe.... ?

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,745 of 2,420
As the C5 is also a USB power pack, you will need a specification label on it (stating capacity) if you are travelling via China. Also, it has to be in your hand luggage.

A week or so ago in Beijing they were checking every single power pack (and confiscating the unlabelled ones).

As far as airport security is concerned, it's a Li-Ion power pack which happens to include a free headphone amp :D

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #1,746 of 2,420
Oh, and don't try and use it on the plane. When I did (months ago), a flight attendant got very loud!

Everyone assumes you are using it as a charger....

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,748 of 2,420
I did the ADA4637-1BRZ (x2) opamp mod, done by a technician a few days back.
However something went wrong as occasionally when i switch to low bass on the battery leds on the amp goes out and there is some kind of malfunction (short circuit) no more sound and the earphones get hot. I figured out that this caused blowing the driver in my Havi right channel.
So for me this mod was a pricy one. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,749 of 2,420
I did the ADA4637-1BRZ (x2) opamp mod, done by a technician a few days back.
However something went wrong as occasionally when i switch to low bass on the battery leds on the amp goes out and there is some kind of malfunction (short circuit) no more sound and the earphones get hot. I figured out that this caused blowing the driver in my Havi right channel.
So for me this mod was a pricy one. 

Sorry for your loss. Change the op amps back to the original ones and see if you can exchange your havi's.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,751 of 2,420
Just gonna give a small update to my purchase. Tried the C5 with both the Sennheiser HD700s and Beyerdynamic T90s, sounds great on both as it really adds that extra oomph in power and clarity. I also just got a Schiit Valhalla 2 and can say the C5 is comparable. While not as good, it does give about 40% of what the Valhalla 2 offers in a portable package, so that's definitely saying something. The C5 is definitely something that shouldn't be overlooked if you need a portable amp. Honestly, I'd 100% recommend it over any FiiO product so long as you don't need a DAC. Worth every penny. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #1,752 of 2,420
  Just gonna give a small update to my purchase. Tried the C5 with both the Sennheiser HD700s and Beyerdynamic T90s, sounds great on both as it really adds that extra oomph in power and clarity. I also just got a Schiit Valhalla 2 and can say the C5 is comparable. While not as good, it does give about 40% of what the Valhalla 2 offers in a portable package, so that's definitely saying something. The C5 is definitely something that shouldn't be overlooked if you need a portable amp. Honestly, I'd 100% recommend it over any FiiO product so long as you don't need a DAC. Worth every penny. 

Wow, 40% seems to be a low percentage compared to the Valhalla 2 (which I've never heard)
confused.gif

I think I probably would rate the C5 with a higher percentage (around 70%) compared to my TEAC HA-501 or Chord Hugo, but maybe the Valhalla 2 is that good 
rolleyes.gif

Yesterday I received my HD700 (which I picked up in the classifieds) and this morning I was listening to my X5/C5 stack...it sounds pretty good indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious, did you listen with bass boost on?

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #1,754 of 2,420
I just drove the Hifiman HE400i, HE560, Sennheiser HD600, HD800, Audeze LCD2 and LCDX with the Cayin C5 at the store today and boy am I impressed how it confidently drive each one of the headphones to ear splitting levels. In all fairness I'm not trying to compare the C5 with the TOTL headphone amps but the sheer power of this little portable amp sure surprised me and it sounded pretty darn good as well.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,755 of 2,420
  I just drove the Hifiman HE400i, HE560, Sennheiser HD600, HD800, Audeze LCD2 and LCDX with the Cayin C5 at the store today and boy am I impressed how it confidently drive each one of the headphones to ear splitting levels. In all fairness I'm not trying to compare the C5 with the TOTL headphone amps but the sheer power of this little portable amp sure surprised me and it sounded pretty darn good as well.

Yep, I had the LCD2 also for some time and even that hp was easily driven from X5/C5 on low gain. I've never had the feeling that I needed the high gain on C5 since I have it, it has so much power inside 
smily_headphones1.gif
besides that it has a very nice black background (which I can't say from my E12) with my iems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back