The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Oct 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #436 of 2,420
I'm hearing clicking sound when turning on and off. Is this the protection circuit causing the clicking sound? Apreciate some feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #437 of 2,420
The LO on the DX50 is affected by the volume control (as volume is set digitally within the DAC section). It should be set to maximum to preserve resolution.

Thanks for clarifying, my bad.

Is it still a true line out?

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #438 of 2,420
I'm hearing clicking sound when turning on and off. Is this the protection circuit causing the clicking sound? Apreciate some feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

Yes it's the protective relay and it's normal. This I'm sure of :wink:

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #439 of 2,420
Hello all!
Have received the Cayin C5 for 2 days. It took almost 3 weeks to get here, Saigon, Vietnam.
First time hearing out of the box (it had 2 led left), I didn't satisfy with the sound it brought compare to non-use C5. The setup was my friend's gears, except C5: iphone 3gs > Headphone out > Cayin C5 > Philips 9710.
Getting home with some confusions, I tried my JVC fx850 with Line out from my iphone 3gs. I notice the improvement of the soundstage and treble. Especially the treble, it is so sparkle and beautiful.
Then I compared between my laptop's sound and the combo 3gs with C5; The result is the combo 3gs with C5 wins. Before getting the C5, my laptop (JRiver MC > WASAPI) sounds much better than the 3GS.
I'm really happy with the result. Then I try my 2 years old inear Shure SE215LTD (the FX850 sounds so much better, so I don't use SE215 for a while) with C5. Now there is a BIG IMPROVEMENT. Soundstage is much wider and only 2 or 3 steps behind the FX850. The sound of this combo, SE215 with C5 is so close to the FX850. With the isolation and light weight of SE215, I can use this combo in the gym while still having awesome sounds. :D
Also the same thing happens to ATH-M50s. Most noticeable improvements are Treble and Soundstage.
So with the C5, the sound quality of my Shure SE215LTD and ATH-M50s is so close to fx850 (still behind 2-3 steps :D ). Therefor I can use these 2 babe again :D
The bass boost is really fun when listen to EDM and Live (only turn on when using SE215 and M50, on Fx850 is too much bass). On the other genre, the bass with boosted is too much for me.
At last, thank you Dsnuts and twister6 for your reviews that I found this magical amp! :)
Have a little question, is there anyone have both this C5 and UD120 by Stoner Acoustics? Looking for a small DAC for my laptop and smartphone! Thanks all! :D

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #440 of 2,420
Thanks for clarifying, my bad.

Is it still a true line out?

Yes it's the protective relay and it's normal. This I'm sure of :wink:

Hey peter123, it's all good man. Glad you came forward with your thoughts. Very much appreciated. Also, thanks for confirming that it's the protection relay in play here.

Have also took some time to search the DX50 thread and most do max out but I went 250/255 as some suggested.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #441 of 2,420
The LO on the DX50 is affected by the volume control (as volume is set digitally within the DAC section). It should be set to maximum to preserve resolution.

Ok CJG888. Thanks for the feedback and have set to 250/255. The sweet spot for now with my SE535. Hearing faint music playing at zero volume on the C5 thus don't think i should max out but will try out with some other phones. Thanks again.

Are you sure the gain is set to "low"? Mine came with the gain pre-set to "high".

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #443 of 2,420
I apologize if this has already been asked.  How does this compare to the E12?  I read through 6 pages of this thread but, couldn't find any direct comparison.  I was blown away by the difference from the E11 to E12.  Wondering if this is the new "standard" for reasonably priced portable headphone amps.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #444 of 2,420
My Cayin finally came in...only two weeks from when I ordered.  I have not had time to put it through its paces but what I have heard so far has been awesome.  Nice look and feel too.  It does a great job with my Shure IEMs as well as my Senn HD650.  

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #445 of 2,420
Went back and read about the whole thread.  I have an X3 and a Rockboxed iPod with an E12 for each.  Seems there isn't a big enough advantage to the C5 to warrant my buying one at this point.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #446 of 2,420
Went back and read about the whole thread.  I have an X3 and a Rockboxed iPod with an E12 for each.  Seems there isn't a big enough advantage to the C5 to warrant my buying one at this point.

I've got the X3 and E12 and the C5 is an significant improvement to my ears.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #447 of 2,420
Just a heads up for you I just noticed CTC Audio is carrying these now. No scary overseas waits.
 And best of ALL out of Toronto so fellow Canadians will get them fast, but seems they do ship all over.
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #448 of 2,420
Yup CTC is looking very good. Good prices, local availability, and warranty. Great stuff! They also offer an excellent selection of some of the best IEMs on the market today.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #449 of 2,420
looks like free shipping in Canada on this thing too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back