The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Sep 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #406 of 2,420

Beauty....................

.................. meets the...

Beast......

............... truly a match made in heaven. :wink:

The internal amp on the X5 is alright but is holding it back from its true glory, and i even hear some background noises on the left channel of the X5 using my IEMs which is kinda' disappointing to say the least. I am always more impressed with the DACs FiiO implements on their devices MUCH MUCH more than their amp ironically (since they are best known for their amps LMAO) as in the case with the E17 and now X5s. By bypassing the X5's internal amp hookin' it the Cayin C5 truly brings this wonderful DAP to another level!!! :basshead:

I have never heard my VSonic GR07 BEs/ VSD3/ Brainwavz R3 sing THIS beautifully before. So with FiiO X5s DAC with the C5 stacked on top bests that of the Audinst MX1 dac/amp combo and even Schiit Vali combo for my IEMs due to it's dead silent background and wonderfully 3D layering and sweet presentation, but headphones is another matter. haha : P

.... Dat CHINESE CONNECTION boi!!! :cool:

Porquoi sir. Porquoi.

I am seething through my teeth in frustration that is manifesting my heart at this very minute!

Why can't the frigging Cayin C5 land at my door now?!

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #407 of 2,420

Porquoi sir. Porquoi.

I am seething through my teeth from impatient that is manifesting my heart at this very minute!

Why can't the frigging Cayin C5 land at my door now?!

^
At first i wasn't really THAT impressed with the C5 hooked onto my Nokia N9 cuz it didn't really bests my desktop setups. My cheapo Venturecraft go-dap amp with my ipod 4th gen nano is still the budget-fi champ but with the FiiO X5 DAC and the C5 I can finally say they blew my socks off cuz damn does my GR07 BEs sound sweet and even 3D on it. LoL
basshead.gif

Glad i was able to get the X5 in to pair with these C5s. X5/C5 combo gets a hi-fi from me.
900x900px-LL-fa93ab60_void0-34.gif

Good luck waiting for your C5s meng, i am sure it will be a painful one. HE HE HE  : P

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #409 of 2,420
Even improves sound from my AK120II, who would have thought??!!

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #410 of 2,420
Anyone able to make a comparison with Fiio X5 with E12DIY versus X5 with Cayin C5 combos?

Don't have E12/DIY, but remember Peter mentioned it destroys original E12, not to mention that DIY is $250.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #412 of 2,420
Will this thing drive my HE400s?  Would it stand a chance with my 600ohm AKG K240DF?  Also, I have a used pair of K702s on the way.  Will it fare ok with them?  I will be driving it from an HRT Microstreamer direct line out.  My present amp collection is a Fiio E11 and a Bravo Audio Ocean.

Many thanks if anyone can help!

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #413 of 2,420
Will this thing drive my HE400s?  Would it stand a chance with my 600ohm AKG K240DF?  Also, I have a used pair of K702s on the way.  Will it fare ok with them?  I will be driving it from an HRT Microstreamer direct line out.  My present amp collection is a Fiio E11 and a Bravo Audio Ocean.

It has no problem driving my Q701's, DT880/600ohm and my modded Fostex T50RP (needs more power than the DT880's) so it should be fine with all on your list.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #414 of 2,420

Can't comment on the AKGs, but I have the HE400s, and the C5 drives them well. :) 

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #415 of 2,420
Thanks for your replies.  I'm wondering whether I should go for this rather than spend the extra cash on a bigger desktop amp like the Lake People G-109 that I was eyeballing.  Having read about this though and given the less than high end quality of my cans, would I really hear a big difference between this and the Lake People amp?  Also, I like the portablility factor, but I also like the idea of getting an amp such as the LP or similar Violectric to stand me in good stead for a future upgrade, which could well be in the leagues of T1/HD800/K812/HE500 territory.  Decisions, decisions!!

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #416 of 2,420
  Thanks for your replies.  I'm wondering whether I should go for this rather than spend the extra cash on a bigger desktop amp like the Lake People G-109 that I was eyeballing.  Having read about this though and given the less than high end quality of my cans, would I really hear a big difference between this and the Lake People amp?  Also, I like the portablility factor, but I also like the idea of getting an amp such as the LP or similar Violectric to stand me in good stead for a future upgrade, which could well be in the leagues of T1/HD800/K812/HE500 territory.  Decisions, decisions!!

Well...I say get both! But in all seriousness, if you use full sized, power hungry headphones like you've listed, I'd say go for a desktop amp. It just makes more sense. And as much as I say that the C5 drives the HE400 well, it doesn't mean that it is the BEST choice. But for the price range and budget, it does an amazing job and is still up for the task. 

It's great being a portable and if you only have room to buy one, and are thinking of both at home listening and on the go, go for the C5 and see for yourself :D. It's really quite good. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #417 of 2,420
Gosh, you guys are enjoying your C5 while I'm still waiting for it to show up. Tracking has remained at Information Received but may not have the physical item since 16 Sept. This wait is unbearable. :sleepy:

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #418 of 2,420
  Beauty....................

.................. meets the...

Beast......

............... truly a match made in heaven. :wink:

The internal amp on the X5 is alright but is holding it back from its true glory, and i even hear some background noises on the left channel of the X5 using my IEMs which is kinda' disappointing to say the least. I am always more impressed with the DACs FiiO implements on their devices MUCH MUCH more than their amp ironically (since they are best known for their amps LMAO) as in the case with the E17 and now X5s. By bypassing the X5's internal amp hookin' it the Cayin C5 truly brings this wonderful DAP to another level!!!
basshead.gif

I have never heard my VSonic GR07 BEs/ VSD3/ Brainwavz R3 sing THIS beautifully before. So with FiiO X5s DAC with the C5 stacked on top bests that of the Audinst MX1 dac/amp combo and even Schiit Vali combo for my IEMs due to it's dead silent background and wonderfully 3D layering and sweet presentation, but headphones is another matter. haha : P

.... Dat CHINESE CONNECTION boi!!!
cool.gif

I have an x5 and I am looking at the C5 to power my 560.  I will demo it against the E12/E12DIY..hopefully there will be a clear winner

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #419 of 2,420
It can't quite handle the HE-500 (but the 560 may be easier to drive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back