The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jan 31, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #2,206 of 2,420
@Andykong - I have an issue with my unit.
Recently, when powering it up (spinning the wheel from off to whatever) it doesn't react. I need to tap hardly on top of the shell (somewhere in the middle below the Cayin sign) and than it starts. After that everything's working fine (can power off/on again), until next day, when the fun with tapping begins again.

Any idea if this is something that can be fixed easily or do I need to buy another unit (out of warranty already)?

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #2,210 of 2,420
Anyone know how this compares to the Fiio A5?  I'll be using them to drive a pair of T50RPs. I found the soundstage to be a bit squished using another Fiio amp, so a bit hesitant to jump on the a5, though that amp was underpowered for the t50s.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,212 of 2,420
Hello cayin c5'ers,
I recently purchased a c5 to pair with my fiio x1 and ibasso IT03. I think it was a little unnecessary but it was suggested it would improve the soundstage and general note "weight."

If anyone has the time:

-What are some general considerations to take as far as amping goes? I don't want to blow out the drivers in my little iems and this is a powerful amp.
-I understand the basics of amping, but can someone explain why I would ever go between high and low gain? Should I ever with iems with this amp?

Thank you

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,213 of 2,420
Hello cayin c5'ers,
I recently purchased a c5 to pair with my fiio x1 and ibasso IT03. I think it was a little unnecessary but it was suggested it would improve the soundstage and general note "weight."

If anyone has the time:

-What are some general considerations to take as far as amping goes? I don't want to blow out the drivers in my little iems and this is a powerful amp.
-I understand the basics of amping, but can someone explain why I would ever go between high and low gain? Should I ever with iems with this amp?

Thank you

I have a pair of Shure 535SE which I've tried with my C5 and while it does improve everything that is great about the 535s, iems generally do not require amping. As such, if you are paring your iems with the Cayin, just be sure to always leave the gain in low, play a song to check the volume before inserting the monitors into your ears. You will be quicker to blow your eardrums out than your drivers if you aren't careful. You might also want to leave high gain switch alone as they are only required if you have higher impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser HD6xx or the AKG 7xx.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,214 of 2,420
I have a pair of Shure 535SE which I've tried with my C5 and while it does improve everything that is great about the 535s, iems generally do not require amping. As such, if you are paring your iems with the Cayin, just be sure to always leave the gain in low, play a song to check the volume before inserting the monitors into your ears. You will be quicker to blow your eardrums out than your drivers if you aren't careful. You might also want to leave high gain switch alone as they are only required if you have higher impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser HD6xx or the AKG 7xx.

This is much appreciated, thanks! Does the cayin c5 produce the effect I'm looking for in your se535 (larger soundstage, thicker note presence, etc...)? I have never used an amp so I am a bit interested in this new toy.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,215 of 2,420
Hi, friends. I want to improve the volume knob of C5. Any sugest for a good one? Thank you in advance.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #2,216 of 2,420
Hello cayin c5'ers,

If anyone has the time:

Thank you

I am not familiar with IT03, heard it briefly at CanJam RMAF and I feel the bass is a bit overwhelmed according to my personal preference. I probably will hesitate to pair with IT03 because the system will lean towards bass heavy, but if this is your preferred music presentation, that could be a good option for you. The bass boost of C5 is definitely a star feature, it has been well received by a lot of HeadFier, possibly one of the best implementation in this class of portable headphone amplifier.

I wouldn't worry about blowing out the drivers of your IEMs, stick with low gain and keep a habit to always turn the volume of C5 to zero before you switch it off, this is especially important if you have more then one pair of headphone/IEM in your collection.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 26, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,217 of 2,420
[quote name="skingg" url="/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house/2205

I am not familiar with IT03, heard it briefly at CanJam RMAF and I feel the bass is a bit overwhelmed according to my personal preference. I probably will hesitate to pair with IT03 because the system will lean towards bass heavy, but if this is your preferred music presentation, that could be a good option for you. The bass boost of C5 is definitely a star feature, it has been well received by a lot of HeadFier, possibly one of the best implementation in this class of portable headphone amplifier.

I wouldn't worry about blowing out the drivers of your IEMs, stick with low gain and keep a habit to always turn the volume of C5 to zero before you switch it off, this is especially important if you have more then one pair of headphone/IEM in your collection.

This is very helpful, thank you. The IT03 is a tad elevated in the subbass region but lacks a certain "warmth" and "thickness" to the mids. I'm hoping the cayin can help with that. I can definitely see it going too bassy with a bass boost but I'm excited to see what happens with it when it arrives.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #2,218 of 2,420
C5 just came in from a fellow head-fi user. My newbie setup goes fiio x1=>C5=>ibasso it03. I use FLAC and wav files with varying quality. C5 thickened up the sound in general, increased note weight, and widened the soundstage. The bass boost is way too much for me. Very happy so far with my purchase.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,219 of 2,420
C5 just came in from a fellow head-fi user. My newbie setup goes fiio x1=>C5=>ibasso it03. I use FLAC and wav files with varying quality. C5 thickened up the sound in general, increased note weight, and widened the soundstage. The bass boost is way too much for me. Very happy so far with my purchase.

I also doubt if the it03 needs any bass boost at all. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 7, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,220 of 2,420
  @Andykong - I have an issue with my unit.
Recently, when powering it up (spinning the wheel from off to whatever) it doesn't react. I need to tap hardly on top of the shell (somewhere in the middle below the Cayin sign) and than it starts. After that everything's working fine (can power off/on again), until next day, when the fun with tapping begins again.

Any idea if this is something that can be fixed easily or do I need to buy another unit (out of warranty already)?

Well, it seems I won't get any answer from Andy...
In this case, by bye Cayin, time to looks elsewhere :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back