The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Nov 23, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2,101 of 2,420
A couple little off topic, but I have ordered an AKG K612 and a Cayin C5 from Amazon to use from my iPod classic 160gb.I am confident that the C5 will drive the 612, bypassing the iPod's internal amp using a Fiio L9 LOD. I get good results with my AKG K271 and Topping NX-1 from the iPod via LOD L9, can I expect even better sound from the C5/K612 combination, or am I wasting my money and time because of the iPod's/ LOD L9's limitations ?

Just comparing the impedance of the two phones (55 ohms for K271 vs 120 ohms for K612) and power outputs of NX1 (100 mW @ 32 ohms) and Cayin C5 (800 mW @ 32 ohms), it is expected the K612 will sound better with Cayin C5 compared to NX1. Usually, high impedance headphones are power hungry and scale up and sound better with high power amps, while the low impedance phones do not scale up that much (well, usually, but not always). Also, the Cayin C5 has a very high resolving power and impressive soundstage and imaging, so it should sound quite good (I can't tell how much better compared to NX1 which I haven't heard). You are putting limitation on your sound by relying on the ipod's DAC, but still it should sound good. Also depends on whether you are listening to mp3's or lossless etc.

Also, please refer to this post: post #1604

We need to look into both Impedance and sensitivity in order to understand whether a headphone is demanding in terms of driving and handling power. Higher impedance imply a higher voltage swing is preferred (in most cases), and a lower sensitivity implies more demanding in driving power.

The K612Pro is rated at 120ohm and 101dB while the K271mkII is rated at 55 ohm 104dB, We can almost certain that the K271mkII is a easier load than the K612Pro for sure.

Having said that, I won't rely on specification solely. I have run into too many accidents when I was a number-based man. The only real test is through hoking up the amp and headphone and give it a try with some real music. In my experience, the AKGs 7 series are tough headphones for portable gears. I have tried K701 and K712 with C5, but I haven't tried K612 specifically (and that's why I feel reluctant to offer any opinion in past few days), The K701 and K712Pro shared identical Impedance and sensitivity rating, but I find the C5 can handle the K712Pro satisfactory, but a bit marginal with K701. To provide additional reference point, I would say C5 can handle the HD600/HD650 better then AKG, and if I have to rate the satisfactory level of C5 among these headphones, I would say HD650 = HD600 > K712Pro > K701

But I do agree with sup27606 that given NX1 is rated at 100mW @ 32 ohms and C5 is rated at 800mW @ 32 ohms, I am quite certain that C5 will provide more juice when dealing with demanding headphones and I would put AKG 6 and 7 series into the demanding headphone list.

The iPod might be a bottleneck when compare to the resolution of latest DAC products, but the iPod's/ LOD L9 setup does offer a clean source for the C5, I would expect the improvement will be noticeably obvious. So unless you are planning to replace the K612 with a easier headphones down the road, I do recommend the C5 a good upgrade option for your current setup.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 23, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #2,102 of 2,420
We need to look into both Impedance and sensitivity in order to understand whether a headphone is demanding in terms of driving and handling power. Higher impedance imply a higher voltage swing is preferred (in most cases), and a lower sensitivity implies more demanding in driving power.

The K612Pro is rated at 120ohm and 101dB while the K271mkII is rated at 55 ohm 104dB, We can almost certain that the K271mkII is a easier load than the K612Pro for sure.

Having said that, I won't rely on specification solely. I have run into too many accidents when I was a number-based man. The only real test is through hoking up the amp and headphone and give it a try with some real music. In my experience, the AKGs 7 series are tough headphones for portable gears. I have tried K701 and K712 with C5, but I haven't tried K612 specifically (and that's why I feel reluctant to offer any opinion in past few days), The K701 and K712Pro shared identical Impedance and sensitivity rating, but I find the C5 can handle the K712Pro satisfactory, but a bit marginal with K701. To provide additional reference point, I would say C5 can handle the HD600/HD650 better then AKG, and if I have to rate the satisfactory level of C5 among these headphones, I would say HD650 = HD600 > K712Pro > K701

But I do agree with sup27606 that given NX1 is rated at 100mW @ 32 ohms and C5 is rated at 800mW @ 32 ohms, I am quite certain that C5 will provide more juice when dealing with demanding headphones and I would put AKG 6 and 7 series into the demanding headphone list.

The iPod might be a bottleneck when compare to the resolution of latest DAC products, but the iPod's/ LOD L9 setup does offer a clean source for the C5, I would expect the improvement will be noticeably obvious. So unless you are planning to replace the K612 with a easier headphones down the road, I do recommend the C5 a good upgrade option for your current setup.

Thanks for your very honest and helpful reply, Andy! Every company should employ someone like you who is alert and genuinely keen to help. I will try the C5 with the K612 for a couple of weeks and see how it goes

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #2,103 of 2,420

Thats great advice. I am looking forward to using the Massdrop 6xx's with the C5 in a few weeks.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,104 of 2,420
The Evolution Of Sound is having a Black Friday Sale (US only) on select Cayin products...
http://www.theevolutionofsound.com/cayin/

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #2,105 of 2,420
The Evolution Of Sound is having a Black Friday Sale (US only) on select Cayin products...
http://www.theevolutionofsound.com/cayin/

Cayin C5 for $99 is a pretty good deal. I bought one just two months back for $129.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,106 of 2,420

After 24 hours of burn-in the sound of the setup keeps changing as I experiment with the C5. Most of the time I have used the high gain setting as the K612 need plenty of power, but today I have listened on low gain at around 7/10 and found the sound less fatiguing, the highs less shrill and the volume definitely loud enough from. the iPod classic via LOD 9. With some tracks I have used the C5's bass boost and found it beneficial( normally I never use any EQ or boost switch) and not overwhelming. Last night I plugged the K612 straight into the headphone jack of my Cambridge Audio CA651 amp and listened to a few CDs and they sounded wonderful, far better than any other headphones I have plugged in before (HD 598, DT 660, K271 studio, DT 990). I will continue to burn in both the C5 and the K612, but I am starting to think that the quality hp and amp are exposing the failings of the iPod's DAC . If that is the case I will not need this combo, as I very rarely listen to my hi-fi through headphones, so I would not need them. I would just go back to listening on the iPod via Topping NX-1 with my Beyerdynamic DT660 or AKG K271 studios. £200 for the C5 and K612 could be put to better use in other non-audio areas!I may be returning them to Amazon

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #2,107 of 2,420
After 24 hours of burn-in the sound of the setup keeps changing as I experiment with the C5. Most of the time I have used the high gain setting as the K612 need plenty of power, but today I have listened on low gain at around 7/10 and found the sound less fatiguing, the highs less shrill and the volume definitely loud enough from. the iPod classic via LOD 9. With some tracks I have used the C5's bass boost and found it beneficial( normally I never use any EQ or boost switch) and not overwhelming. Last night I plugged the K612 straight into the headphone jack of my Cambridge Audio CA651 amp and listened to a few CDs and they sounded wonderful, far better than any other headphones I have plugged in before (HD 598, DT 660, K271 studio, DT 990). I will continue to burn in both the C5 and the K612, but I am starting to think that the quality hp and amp are exposing the failings of the iPod's DAC . If that is the case I will not need this combo, as I very rarely listen to my hi-fi through headphones, so I would not need them. I would just go back to listening on the iPod via Topping NX-1 with my Beyerdynamic DT660 or AKG K271 studios. £200 for the C5 and K612 could be put to better use in other non-audio areas!I may be returning them to Amazon
\

The C5 probably will settle down after the 100 hours mark, but it won't be night and day from now on.

Glad you have explored the preferred pattern through this trail. Even you might not keep the C5, I wish you a happy experience in your audio journey. :beerchug:

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,108 of 2,420
[COLOR=FF00AA]Happy Thanksgiving[/COLOR]
We are glad to have friends and customers like you.
Wish you all the best on this Special Day.

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #2,110 of 2,420
I plan to return to the C5 for the 3rd or 4th time now.

Okay so I don't think the opamps are socketed. Fine. How big do the sockets need to be to maintain clearance.

How long until I don't even make the C5 a portable amp anymore? :D

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #2,111 of 2,420
Thanks,Andy. I decided to return the K612 and the C5 with some misgivings, as despite the obvious potential of the combination I felt that the iPod's DAC was a very limiting factor. The sound was very refined and spacious with good detail but I couldn't really justify spending £211 to get a noticeable but not major improvement in sound over my K271 Studio& Topping NX-1 combination. I have since been auditioning a K240 Studio with this combination on my iPod and it is growing on me after a couple of days of burn-in. Nevertheless, the C5 is a fantastic product and great value for money

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #2,112 of 2,420
Thanks,Andy. I decided to return the K612 and the C5 with some misgivings, as despite the obvious potential of the combination I felt that the iPod's DAC was a very limiting factor. The sound was very refined and spacious with good detail but I couldn't really justify spending £211 to get a noticeable but not major improvement in sound over my K271 Studio& Topping NX-1 combination. I have since been auditioning a K240 Studio with this combination on my iPod and it is growing on me after a couple of days of burn-in. Nevertheless, the C5 is a fantastic product and great value for money

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,113 of 2,420
I know it's not apples to apples, but can anyone comment on the Micro iDSD in comparison to the Cayin C5. I know one is a DAC/AMP, other just an AMP, but I'm interested in the additional benefit of the Micro 3D effect and Bass boost compared to the perceived 3D effect of the Cayin C5 and is bass boost. I know the DAC can be a major difference but I'm interested in the amp section and effects. Is the Micro iDSD a major upgrade to the Cayin C5? I don't care about summit fi file type comparisons. I'm interested in this for these and other cans. I have the Cayin C5 but am considering the change so that my source is consistent BUT I enjoy the power and bass boost of the C5. Thanks.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #2,114 of 2,420
I know it's not apples to apples, but can anyone comment on the Micro iDSD in comparison to the Cayin C5. I know one is a DAC/AMP, other just an AMP, but I'm interested in the additional benefit of the Micro 3D effect and Bass boost compared to the perceived 3D effect of the Cayin C5 and is bass boost. I know the DAC can be a major difference but I'm interested in the amp section and effects. Is the Micro iDSD a major upgrade to the Cayin C5? I don't care about summit fi file type comparisons. I'm interested in this for these and other cans. I have the Cayin C5 but am considering the change so that my source is consistent BUT I enjoy the power and bass boost of the C5. Thanks.

I own both the Cayin C5 and the ifi Micro iDSD.  The 3D switch on the iDSD definitely provides a more spacious sound than the C5.  However, the XBass switch on the iDSD is extremely subtle.  It only affects the lowest sub-bass frequencies.  On most songs, you may not even notice it.  Honestly, when I first tried the XBass switch, I thought it was broken because it didn't seem to do anything.  Only through careful listening could I determine a difference.  So, if you enjoy the bass boost of the C5, the XBass switch of the iDSD could be a disappointment for you.

As far as overall versatility, though, the iDSD wins hands-down.

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,115 of 2,420
Between the Cayin C5 and Micro iDSD, which do you use more offen and in what scenario if you don't mind? Do you find yourself grabbing the C5 for its portability, power and occasional boost or do you prefer the iDSD for the dac feature? Does the iDSD obsolete your C5? Do you travel much with the iDSD or use it around a desk more often? Seems to be a large unit and quite capable in power but the size seems more transportable than portable. What headphones do you have that benefit from the iDSD over the Cayin C5? Just trying to get a feel if this is something I might pursue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back