The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Aug 19, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2,071 of 2,420
Dear Andy,
Got my Cayin C5 this afternoon and first thing I did was follow instructions and plugged it into a wall charger, the standard one that comes with Samsung phones. From what I've read, charging time is 7 hrs via computer and 4 hours via a wall charger. Plugged it in at 1:30pm and the charging lights finally stopped blinking at 10pm, meaning it took all of 8 hrs and 20 mins for a full charge out of the box.Is this 'normal' for a new purchase? I hope it doesn't mean the battery is defective. Thanks for any info.

Please check the power output on your charger, 5v/2a is recommended.

Good luck!

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #2,072 of 2,420
Dear Andy,
Got my Cayin C5 this afternoon and first thing I did was follow instructions and plugged it into a wall charger, the standard one that comes with Samsung phones. From what I've read, charging time is 7 hrs via computer and 4 hours via a wall charger. Plugged it in at 1:30pm and the charging lights finally stopped blinking at 10pm, meaning it took all of 8 hrs and 20 mins for a full charge out of the box.Is this 'normal' for a new purchase? I hope it doesn't mean the battery is defective. Thanks for any info.

Please check the power output on your charger, 5v/2a is recommended.

Good luck!

Thanks Peter, right on point. :beerchug:

Dear Alex, the first charge normally will take slightly longer because the battery is not in efficient condition after sleeping in inventory for months. 8 hours is on the long side if you are using a 5V/2A charger. The Samsung charger can rated between 0.5A to 2A @ 5V, depends on different period of time, so please check the charger again and if there are choice around, go for a charger with higher charging current capacity will help. :gs1000smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,073 of 2,420
Just wanted to convey that c5 is really the only piece of gear I don't think I could live without. I have really grown dependant on c5 sound and that bass boost. Best bass boost I have ever heard on a portable headphone amp. It is truly a special piece of gear.

Just need to redesign to a smaller more compact amp and everything will be perfect.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #2,074 of 2,420
Hey everyone. I just ordered this off amazon after everything I've read about it. So far it seems amazing. With this being my first ever amp is there anything I should know not to do so I don't blow out my items? I bought if for my Sony A25 and Sony Xba 300 which has a sensitivity of 101 dB/mW and impedance of 16 ohms.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,075 of 2,420
Hey everyone. I just ordered this off amazon after everything I've read about it. So far it seems amazing. With this being my first ever amp is there anything I should know not to do so I don't blow out my items? I bought if for my Sony A25 and Sony Xba 300 which has a sensitivity of 101 dB/mW and impedance of 16 ohms.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

just be sure to charge it for a couple hours after it says its full before using, and don't accidentally switch it to high gain! :)

i put one of the included rubber bands over the gain switch so it wouldn't get nudged...

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #2,076 of 2,420
just be sure to charge it for a couple hours after it says its full before using, and don't accidentally switch it to high gain! :)

i put one of the included rubber bands over the gain switch so it wouldn't get nudged...

Thanks for the fast reply I thought there'd be a lot more do's and don'ts. But what would happen if I did accidentally had it set to high gain?

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,077 of 2,420
Thanks for the fast reply I thought there'd be a lot more do's and don'ts. But what would happen if I did accidentally had it set to high gain?

Even if you're using super sensitive gear the chances of it actually damaging anything are almost 0. You'd just rip the headphones off from being too loud probably.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2,078 of 2,420

Even if you're using super sensitive gear the chances of it actually damaging anything are almost 0. You'd just rip the headphones off from being too loud probably.

Yeah, it is painful to flip that switch but it shouldn't damage the amp.
Curious if it would have negative effects to headphones or IEMS?

I've loved this amp so far though.  I'm thinking of getting the C5 Dac/Amp as well to test it out

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,079 of 2,420
Okay I have everything set up but I am still able to control the volume from my a25 along with the amp itself. Doesn't that mean I am still using the internal amp in the a25? Shouldn't the Cayin 5 have bypassed it?

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #2,080 of 2,420
Hifime 9018 DAC -> Cayin C5 -> UE 100 ohms adapter -> Etymotic hf5 : pure bliss.
High gain + bass boost. Awesome trebles and transients/ resolution, punchy bass impact, and above all the soundstage and imaging.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #2,081 of 2,420
I've decided against the C5 DAC after realizing that integrated Dac and amplifiers almost always sound worse than separate components.  I also have the 9018 Sabre Diyhifi DAC and would be sad to not use that anymore. 

Does anyone have experience with the C5 DAC against the amplifier?

In any cases, I use my C5 every day and haven't found a reason to stop. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,082 of 2,420
I am thinking of returning this. I was expecting some sort of increase in SQ but I can't hear any difference at all. Should I have expected any increase in SQ with the xba 300? I was hoping to increase the Soundstage and get rid of distortions in the higher frequencies.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,083 of 2,420
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back