The Cayin C5 portable power house.
May 30, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #2,041 of 2,420
I got a C5 from Amazon this week and I noticed that I can't use it to charge my phone (Moto X 2014) if the amp's battery indicator has only 2 lights on.
It works only when all 3 lights are on(fully charged), which lasts for ~30min and then it drops to 2 lights at which point the phone stops charging (every few seconds the phone switches between charging and not charging, as if there is a bad contact). I tried multiple cables just to make sure it's not a bad cable.
Did anyone else experience this? Is this behavior normal or did I get a faulty unit? Other than this the amp seems to work just fine.
Thanks.

To protect the C5 battery, we have set a safety capacity level, and when C5 has dropped below the specific battery capacity, it will stop the charging external device feature to reserve the battery for C5. From what you have described, your C5 has dropped below the safety capacity level when the power indicator drop from 3 LED to 2 LED

You just bought a C5 from Amazon this week? I suggest you use it regularly for a while, hopefully after several charge/discharge cycle, the battery will be in better condition and the situation will be improved. The problem is when a Lithium is stored (unused) for a long period of them, the efficient of the battery is at low point, and it will recover after extended usage.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 30, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,043 of 2,420
Please try to reset the player, you can find the Reset button (Hole) at the back of the C5, this will reset the power management software of C5, which is related to the problem you have described. :beerchug:

Thanks friend, I will try this, does it matter if usb is plugged in when I do this?

Our workmate, Tina has replied your emial through Amazon , asking if you had reset the C5 or not.

But didn't get your reply.

Did you check your Amazon message?

Tina is still waiting for your confirmation on Amazon.

I did, however i may have missed something, I will edit my earlier post if I am mistaken, and apologies

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,044 of 2,420
Thanks friend, I will try this, does it matter if usb is plugged in when I do this?

You need to power on your C5 when you reset the player, but you don't need to plug in your USB cable.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,045 of 2,420
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a desktop (non-battery) dac/amp that performs and sounds similar to the Cayin C5?

I had the Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 2 combo, but moved the Magni 2 to my Digital Piano permanently. In place, I am using my C5 with the Modi 2. I don't really like plugging and unplugging the USB charger daily, so looking for either an amp replacement to use with the Modi 2, or a dac/amp combo to replace it. I believe the Bass Boost is part of a dac rather than the amp, and the Modi 2 has no Bass Boost, so I don't mind replacing it.

Key items are Volume Knob and Bass Boost (I don't really like to mess with EQ, and the Bass Boost on the C5 works great). Plus good power and performance. A lot of good options either don't have Bass Boost, or has batteries, or doesn't have the volume knob, or too weak. Such as Fiio E10K, JDS Element, iFi micro iDSD, Chord Mojo, Grace M9XX. Perhaps I can forego the Bass Boost though... and just get another Magni 2 amp.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #2,049 of 2,420
Got the Cayin C5!

Using it with an Fiio E17K for DAC duties and my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge as transport (via USB OTG) and Bose QC25! Impressive!

EDIT:

Using the app USB Audio Player PRO and some .dsf files opens up my QC25!

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,050 of 2,420
"
to keep it simple, i use a x3 and has already velcro the cayin to it, relatively big compared to the player. Thankfully it sounds as big."

Dsnuts,
I am a total newbie ,when it comes to IEM's & portable amps,last night ,I purchased a used,C5,and I will be connecting to my Fiio X3ii music player.
Can you ,please,walk me through the connection process...X3ii..to C5 ??
The unit I just purchased,does not come with an owner manual,just a few cable,so,..???-See attached Photo.
Any help ,will be appreciated,

Mike

Mike  

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,051 of 2,420
"
  We had a few questions raised about functionality of C5 in this thread.  I know it could get confusing since the original C5 manual is in Chinese.  I was informed by Cayin that moving forward they will include English manual as well.  In a meantime they actually released PDF version of the manual in English which I'm providing a link to below.  So either if you already purchased C5 amplifier or planning to purchase one (highly recommend!), this will come in handy to learn about its operation deta
http://speedy.sh/ReuDH/User-s-Manual-for-C5-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier.pdf (click on a blue link in the middle to start the download from speedysharkrow ron

Spritz,
Your link ,does not work.
Do you have another one,,as I need the owners manual?

Thanks,
Mike

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,052 of 2,420
"
to keep it simple, i use a x3 and has already velcro the cayin to it, relatively big compared to the player. Thankfully it sounds as big."

Dsnuts,

I am a total newbie ,when it comes to IEM's & portable amps,last night ,I purchased a used,C5,and I will be connecting to my Fiio X3ii music player.

Can you ,please,walk me through the connection process...X3ii..to C5 ??

The unit I just purchased,does not come with an owner manual,just a few cable,so,..???-See attached Photo.

Any help ,will be appreciated,

Mike

Mike[ATTACHMENT=2893]IMG_00601.jpg (647k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] 

Dont know if you figured it out yet but it is fairly simple. Plug an interconnect to your line out of the x3ii on the other side of your head phone plug. No setting necessary. Plug other end to your C5. Line in. Plug headphone into your C5,headphone out. Power on and enjoy. i use a single band on the center part of the X3ii against the C5. It becomes a bigger brick but is a good way to have that power on the go.

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,053 of 2,420
I've been checking a couple reviews for the 650 and many are saying it is boring and the Sennheiser 598 is more engaging. I'm not sure if the purchase was worth it considering I own a 598.

Teddy,I own the HD600,598,and a few others
The HD650,is one of the finest headphones,you can buy,,and,one of the most comfortable.,,,...but,it is very depend ant on your amp/dac combination.
When I upgraded from the 598,to the 650,and let it break-in,{almost 200 hrs.},I was amazed..

Hope this helps,
Mike

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,054 of 2,420
The HD600s work very well with the C5 (I believe the HD650s will sound a little darker in tonality).

As you will need to use an adapter anyway (the HD650 comes with a 1/4" plug), you might want to consider switching to a silver or SPC cable to "brighten" things up a little. A decent quality SPC cable needn't be that expensive, if you are able/prepared to do a little soldering yourself...

a definite..+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back