The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,012 of 2,420
I use an iPod classic when air traveling (weekly) right now with Paradigm earbuds. Would a headphone amp be beneficial in this application? I am currently using a FIIO 7 and to be honest lately I don't know if I can tell the difference between using the amp and straight from the iPod. The FIIO is failing and I'm looking into a replacement. The C5 looks nice, just wondering if I'm already outdated using an iPod classic to listen to music?

Thanks for any input.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,013 of 2,420
i have c&c bh2 - it's no contest with the C5 - it's only topped by the vorzuge pureII+ and liquid carbon in my stable.  But it does get loud if you are not careful with the volume. Not sure however if that's your concern

Thanks,I bought the Cayin for the HD650, but the DT880 is stealing the show. Don't get me wrong...both sound great though. Also no problems with the volume going up too fast for me. Only thing I can complain about is the numbers on the volume are hard to see.

May 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,015 of 2,420
Well... left my c5 plugged in to charge overnight. came back to it today and it just blinks the first light, like it's totally empty, and once in a while jumps to 3 lights. If i unplug it from usb it's completely unresponsive. Is the battery screwed? can i do something with the reset hole?

May 22, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,016 of 2,420
Hey, I'm getting a bit fed up with my Fiio e10k. It just doesn't sound musical enough, very clinical sounding. I have an opp to get the Cayin 5 second hand at a decent price and was wondering if anyone would consider an upgrade to the e10?

May 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,017 of 2,420
  Hey, I'm getting a bit fed up with my Fiio e10k. It just doesn't sound musical enough, very clinical sounding. I have an opp to get the Cayin 5 second hand at a decent price and was wondering if anyone would consider an upgrade to the e10?

100% positive it's an upgrade.

May 22, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,020 of 2,420
Well that's as good as an endorsement as you'll get lol. Click... bought! Thanks :)

Haha, yes. The sound is fuller, more musical, with a wider soundstage compared to the e10k.you are in for a treat.

Cheers.

May 23, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2,021 of 2,420
Just to follow up on my last post, turns out my C5 isn't dead, so that's really nice.
Seems the samsung brand USB charger I was using wasn't doing a great job of powering the C5 for long periods of time.
Since the instructions are in chinese, i hit the reset button while it was off but charging and turned on, and all seems fine?
Switched to a different (better) USB wall charger and it's behaving normally again.

Dunno if it's the cable or the USB itself, either way it charges phones fine, but won't be used for any of my audio gear anymore.

May 23, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #2,022 of 2,420
  Just to follow up on my last post, turns out my C5 isn't dead, so that's really nice.
Seems the samsung brand USB charger I was using wasn't doing a great job of powering the C5 for long periods of time.
Since the instructions are in chinese, i hit the reset button while it was off but charging and turned on, and all seems fine?
Switched to a different (better) USB wall charger and it's behaving normally again.

Dunno if it's the cable or the USB itself, either way it charges phones fine, but won't be used for any of my audio gear anymore.

I think I have the exact same charger as the one in the pic; I specifically ordered one (authentic 2A Samsung Charger) but can't remember if it was for the Galaxy S4 or S5. It still charges fine to date, for me at least.

But just in case, which wall charger did you switched to?

May 23, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,023 of 2,420
  I think I have the exact same charger as the one in the pic; I specifically ordered one (authentic 2A Samsung Charger) but can't remember if it was for the Galaxy S4 or S5. It still charges fine to date, for me at least.

But just in case, which wall charger did you switched to?

I remember having some problems leaving the mojo plugged in all day with this charger, eventually had to switch to a different one. maybe it has an auto-stop charging feature?

either way i have this now and it works great: Weelpower 20W 4A 4-Port USB Wall Charger Fast Charger with iSmart Charging Technology(White)

http://www.amazon.com/Weelpower-4-Port-Charger-Charging-Technology/dp/B01ANC6JXG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

May 24, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #2,024 of 2,420
I need a portable dac/amp solution for my fostex t40rp mk3 and my fostex th x00 PH which will be arriving in a couple months. The mk3s are power hungry so I was originally thinking that the cayin c5 with the dragonfly red would be the best option but now I am also looking at the arrow 6tx but I am skeptical whether it will have enough power. My budget is $350 and the source will be macbooks and iphones specifically the air and the 6s.

May 24, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #2,025 of 2,420
  I need a portable dac/amp solution for my fostex t40rp mk3 and my fostex th x00 PH which will be arriving in a couple months. The mk3s are power hungry so I was originally thinking that the cayin c5 with the dragonfly red would be the best option but now I am also looking at the arrow 6tx but I am skeptical whether it will have enough power. My budget is $350 and the source will be macbooks and iphones specifically the air and the 6s.

I loved the Arrow when I had it but wouldn't go back. I had the arrow  first and C5 afterwards.
Keep in mind though the normal C5 has 800+800mW output, the C5DAC has 300+300mW which is closer to the Arrow's level, but still above it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back