The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Mar 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,981 of 2,420
  The headphones I plan to use on the go are:
Shure 535LTD's Silver Cabled
Audeze EL-8 Closed Back

What would be a better fit for the both of these. I also forgot to mention I would like to use this with my Macbook Retina when traveling as well.

To be honest:
I would directly go Mojo - endgame.

It's small and light - can be used as DAC/Amp from the Mac (doing that right now) and mobile. It's forbidden good and you don't need to update anymore.

Cheers!

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #1,982 of 2,420

To be honest:
I would directly go Mojo - endgame.

It's small and light - can be used as DAC/Amp from the Mac (doing that right now) and mobile. It's forbidden good and you don't need to update anymore.

Cheers!

Being able to replicate something close to my Audeze Deckard at home would be ideal. Would the mojo provide that?

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #1,983 of 2,420
  Being able to replicate something close to my Audeze Deckard at home would be ideal. Would the mojo provide that?

Sorry. Never heard the Deckard but I can tell you it's very close to my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon with my LCD-2 - the mojo is a little wonder. 

Cheers.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #1,985 of 2,420
Here is the deckard https://www.audeze.com/products/amplifiers/deckard

Haha, yes I know of the Deckard, I just never had the pleasure of hearing it. :wink:

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,987 of 2,420

Which headphones are you planning to use.

The C5 just amplifies the iPhone output (going through the DAC and amp of the iPhone and double amping that signal) - while the Mojo takes the digital signal uses its own DAC and amp it's not really a fair comparison.

Anyhow - here is the testing setup:

Two iPhone 6 128 GB playing the same song. One with CCK and Mojo and one going into C5 (ignore the Fiio X5 strapped onto it) both go into the input switcher so I can flip back and forth in realtime - and I listen with my trusted Oppo PM-3

Differences:

Overall differences in short term listening are quite small.

Mojo is better at:
- slightly fuller, more rounded sound
- more impact, crispness to tones
- more "air" and treble detail
- a tad more natural sound

Overall, I was quite impressed how good the iPhone 6 / Cayin C5 sounded. Anyhow, just have the demo unit of the Mojo since yesterday night and charged it so this is all very new impressions about the mojo, while I know the C5 quite well.

So, is the mojo worth 3 or 4 times the price of the C5? Hard to say. Depends on your priorities. I would argue that for listening on the go, you might not need the mojo.

Second consideration - your headphones. sensitive IEMs are probably better suited for the mojo due to it's more refined construction. The C5 is a powerhouse in regards to drive even very large and demanding headphones with authority.

Cheers!

Have you used the C5 with just computer Dac? Like a Macbook or something?

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,991 of 2,420

Thanks! I remembered that post but I would ideally like to not take that top cap off.
Maybe I can just get a smoother/more accurate pot to replace the original one with?

Possibly, you'll just have to look on eBay or wherever else to see what kind of knobs are available. You might be able to find one that'll allow you to put the cap back on too.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,992 of 2,420

Possibly, you'll just have to look on eBay or wherever else to see what kind of knobs are available. You might be able to find one that'll allow you to put the cap back on too.

I actually meant replacing the potentiometer that the knob is attached to. The knob itself doesn't bother me. I apologize for being unclear

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #1,994 of 2,420
Hi guys. Every now and then I come across posts where people say they use the modi or valli 2 amps etc. How does the cayin c5 compare to these? I have the c5, never used an amp etc and im brand new to audio so alot of equipment names means zero to me.

I assume the schiit modi and valhalla etc are way above the c5 in terms of sound quality etc? Like if you played the same song through the c5 amp then used the modi/odac/valhalla etc the c5 would be way behind these??

Thanks

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,995 of 2,420
Hi guys. Every now and then I come across posts where people say they use the modi or valli 2 amps etc. How does the cayin c5 compare to these? I have the c5, never used an amp etc and im brand new to audio so alot of equipment names means zero to me.

I assume the schiit modi and valhalla etc are way above the c5 in terms of sound quality etc? Like if you played the same song through the c5 amp then used the modi/odac/valhalla etc the c5 would be way behind these??

Thanks

I don't know the modi or vali but I know other amps at its price point and above.

Arrow 5tx - C5 is almost as good, arrow better for IEMs and volume control

IFI iCan - C5 no contest

Garage1217 polaris - very similar, c5 is slightly less detailed

Mojo - incredibly similar, mojo to C5 is great when using mojo in line out mode

C5 scales well with nice DACs in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back