The Cayin C5 portable power house.
May 21, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,621 of 2,420

confused.gif

I use it on a daily basis with X5 and 1plus2 => love the synergy!!!

how well does it pair with the Z5? I need a good amp for it and the C5 is on my list of options. Would love to read your thoughts on it :)

May 21, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,622 of 2,420
Thinking about getting this for an HD650 pairing. I don't need portability, but it will probably come in handy at times. The main reason I want the C5 is for its sonic signature - super smooth and slightly warm.

One question - would it be bad to constantly have this thing plugged in to usb power? Would that hurt the battery's longevity being constantly powered at full? (I see myself using this mostly with my laptop and desktop at home)

May 21, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,623 of 2,420

how well does it pair with the Z5? I need a good amp for it and the C5 is on my list of options. Would love to read your thoughts on it :)

I've tried the Z5 for the past hour from X5+C5 and can say it also sounds very, very good to my ears...It has a fuller/fun soundsignature (+ huge soundstage) to it with more bass in the picture than the 1p2 (which is more neutral with slightly better details imo) => I would never use the bass boost with Z5 myself (really too much for my taste)...but when you're a bass head you might like that also
L3000.gif

Hope this helps...

May 21, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,624 of 2,420
Does anyone have any experience running the Cayin C5 with a 600 OHM headphone such as the DT-880 or 990 600 OHM?

I can get a deal on the 600 OHM right now but don't want to shoot myself in the foot thinking I should have waited on the 250.

I know some have mentioned that it will run the 600OHM 880, but I wonder how well it runs it. Does it still have some breathing room, do you have to run on high gain, does it deplete the battery significantly faster....? Anyone with any advice, thanks very much.

My set up would be: FiiO X1/Cayin C5/Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 OHM.

Thank you!

May 21, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,625 of 2,420

Hi, it was originally the member @AudioMan2013 who suggested this upgrade.... he had a lot to say about technical improvements to the C5 earlier in the thread...he knows his amp topologies for sure !

I found the new opamps improved transparency vs stock opamp which is slightly warm , better bass texture/presence (less need to use unnatural bass boost), depth and width improved on new opamp....more fluid-sounding/lush.

I had the 2x opamps installed by a professional. I do not suggest members DIY themselves, unless they have the experience. These opamps are tiny compared to Cmoy opamps...

Also, I'd just say planar magnetic headphones can be quite demanding on the current stock battery capacity. This amp goes particularly well with my own modded T20RP woodie headphones....especially in the sense that the amp does not make the treble strident/etched. I think the plastic cover needs to go and the volume dial gets protected from accidental hits like Sony/Fostex do with their latest mobile amps.

Thanks - I used to make headphone amps as a hobby.  I'm now interested in designing and making some low power (around 30 watts) class a monoblock amps.  I am looking for a local partner to work with as it is much more complex.

May 22, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #1,626 of 2,420
I'm ready to buy the C5, just waiting to hear if it's okay to leave it plugged into power constantly. Emailed them, but haven't heard anything. I know that by leaving my iPod constantly plugged into USB in my car, it has pretty much demolished its battery life.

I really don't care about battery life, just want the C5 for its smooth, non-analytical signature. Does anyone do this?

May 22, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,627 of 2,420
  I'm ready to buy the C5, just waiting to hear if it's okay to leave it plugged into power constantly. Emailed them, but haven't heard anything. I know that by leaving my iPod constantly plugged into USB in my car, it has pretty much demolished its battery life.

I really don't care about battery life, just want the C5 for its smooth, non-analytical signature. Does anyone do this?

No, they all ready said to use it unplugged. There are also audible ticks/clicks when it is charging if the voltage is not spot on with your charger....edit : audible from the unit not your headphones.

May 22, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,629 of 2,420

No, they all ready said to use it unplugged. There are also audible ticks/clicks when it is charging if the voltage is not spot on with your charger....edit : audible from the unit not your headphones.

Damn. Was that posted somewhere in this thread?

Any ideas for a USB powered/wall-wart amp that has the C5's signature?

May 22, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,631 of 2,420
  Damn. Was that posted somewhere in this thread?

Any ideas for a USB powered/wall-wart amp that has the C5's signature?

I have answered this question. We do not recommend use while charging. This is the basic common sense of all products with battery. While charging the battery work will make use of current and could cause damage to the battery. Why not in the charging time for yourself a break or do some other things?

May 24, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,633 of 2,420

Temp rig while I wait for the LC. The C5 sounds awesome with my GDA-700 and the LCD-X. It does have some slight harshness to the upper registers but it's not too bad.

May 24, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,635 of 2,420
  If your C5 is fairly new. I would burn them in or just make sure they are being used a lot then take a listen. The sound should smooth out for you.

I got this used but I think it wasn't used much. Thanks I will try to compare the AK100ii DAC and this DAC I use with the LCD-X. It'd definitely be nice if it was smoother yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back