The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,486 of 2,420
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,488 of 2,420

Fwiw, that is also my experience with the E12: high gain drains the battery quicker.

Can't wait to get the friggin' C5 though. Apr15 apparently. Too long lol!

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,489 of 2,420
If the guy from cayin reads the thread still I would like to know what dac chip does the c5dac use, and is the amp section the same as in the original c5?
Thank you.

In addition to C5 with the same shape, does not have the same relationship between the two.I remember I have said here.

C5DAC is used in PCM1795, AMP is BUF634, with C5 sound style is not consistent. This product is used mainly to do music lovers the corresponding source for PC or smart phone.At the same time, the output power of no C5, only 330mw.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #1,493 of 2,420
Thanks for the information. Also, is the battery replacable?

Yes, good question...with this capacity battery, frequent recharging will lead to needing a replacement battery size/brand code.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #1,494 of 2,420
I keep reading that this amp works well with the HD600 and 650. I listen to a lot of downtempo electronica so I'm not too worried about the speed of the headphones, more about the tightness and depth of the bass. Can anyone comment on this? The bass boost on the C5 works wonders to my ears and I'm hoping it can do some good to the Sennheisers. I'm looking into the 600s more specifically.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,495 of 2,420
Just bagged a used HRT microstreamer after much searching.... I think the combined SQ  with C5 will pair better with my planar headphones.....

I found the GO1000 DAC/amp to be dynamic/transparant/with no Sabre glare......but just stuck in analytic mode...

I'm guessing the detail retrieval will step slightly DOWN (due to DAC not amp) with the HRT DAC+C5 combo but the musicality will step UP combined with planars.

Also installing my AD opamps next week and I'll see if my vintage amp repair guy can take photos but I think for most this is over a simple by-hand DIY opamp exchange.....

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #1,496 of 2,420
  In addition to C5 with the same shape, does not have the same relationship between the two.I remember I have said here.

C5DAC is used in PCM1795, AMP is BUF634, with C5 sound style is not consistent. This product is used mainly to do music lovers the corresponding source for PC or smart phone.At the same time, the output power of no C5, only 330mw.

OK so the C5DAC amp section is only less powerful or does it sound different from the original C5?

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,497 of 2,420
Just bagged a used HRT microstreamer after much searching.... I think the combined SQ  with C5 will pair better with my planar headphones.....

I found the GO1000 DAC/amp to be dynamic/transparant/with no Sabre glare......but just stuck in analytic mode...

I'm guessing the detail retrieval will step slightly DOWN (due to DAC not amp) with the HRT DAC+C5 combo but the musicality will step UP combined with planars.

Also installing my AD opamps next week and I'll see if my vintage amp repair guy can take photos but I think for most this is over a simple by-hand DIY opamp exchange.....
I have both the C5 and HRT Microstreamer and that combination is pretty impressive as a portable setup that can drive anything. It runs my HE560 perfectly well. Not as open, detailed and extended as my speaker taps but enough to keep me very happy!

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #1,498 of 2,420
I have both the C5 and HRT Microstreamer and that combination is pretty impressive as a portable setup that can drive anything. It runs my HE560 perfectly well. Not as open, detailed and extended as my speaker taps but enough to keep me very happy!

Yeah, I think I'll run the 2 a week before dropping in the new opamps to get some brain burn-in to compare the difference. I'll be using the combo with Fostex planars.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,499 of 2,420

Yeah, I think I'll run the 2 a week before dropping in the new opamps to get some brain burn-in to compare the difference. I'll be using the combo with Fostex planars.

Wish I had the skills to do the op amp rolling.  My soldering skills only strecth to recabling a set of Grados and making some SennGrados.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,500 of 2,420
  Wish I had the skills to do the op amp rolling.  My soldering skills only strecth to recabling a set of Grados and making some SennGrados.

I'd not advise anyone to do it, but get a pro who knows what they are doing. Lucky I know one locally. Amp repair places your first stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back