The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,471 of 2,420
  What kind of synergy does the C5 have with lower impedance (<60 ohm) headphones and IEMs?  Would it be worth the money to upgrade to the C5 over the Fiio E11k?  Right now, I'm running LO on a Fiio X1 into the E11k.  Not getting enough bass on some of my phones (e.g. Kef M200).

Thanks.

Edit:  never mind.  Couldn't resist the CTC 20% discount.  C5 now on order.  Dang you Head-Fi!!!

My FAD PHVI is over-the-ear full size cans at 8 ohms. I can say the C5 makes them sing :)

Dap is AK100ii

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,472 of 2,420
What kind of synergy does the C5 have with lower impedance (<60 ohm) headphones and IEMs?  Would it be worth the money to upgrade to the C5 over the Fiio E11k?  Right now, I'm running LO on a Fiio X1 into the E11k.  Not getting enough bass on some of my phones (e.g. Kef M200).

Thanks.

Edit:  never mind.  Couldn't resist the CTC 20% discount.  C5 now on order.  Dang you Head-Fi!!!

Great deal and purchase.. You will love it. The bass is more visceral and the power of the C5 will bring out anything the headphone can deliver.

Cheers,
K

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,473 of 2,420
When you guys charge your C5 do you find the actual cable to get warm at all? I know it sounds strange but I bought this unit used from a member here and the charge cable gets really warm when charging. Not only this, if I remove the cable the actual mini USB (metal plug) is rather hot. I don't think this sounds normal. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,474 of 2,420
  When you guys charge your C5 do you find the actual cable to get warm at all? I know it sounds strange but I bought this unit used from a member here and the charge cable gets really warm when charging. Not only this, if I remove the cable the actual mini USB (metal plug) is rather hot. I don't think this sounds normal. 

Nope.
Have you checked your charger? 2 Ampere charger should be ideal for it since all of my <2A charger gave off clicking sound coming from the C5. But never use >2A though

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,475 of 2,420
  Nope.
Have you checked your charger? 2 Ampere charger should be ideal for it since all of my <2A charger gave off clicking sound coming from the C5. But never use >2A though

I think it might be a particular charger (which is max 2A) causing abnormal heat. I've switched to a 2A Tablet charger and whilst its still warm it doesn't appear to be overheating as before. As it stands I wouldn't call this completely solved.

I'll report back. Besides the mentioned problem the amp performs and charges properly.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,476 of 2,420
I don't have either yet, few more days away. I've tried Cayin C5 once before over 24 hours and could hear the potential, but I want to give it a better chance with full ownership feelings.

Sure, I own SR125, generally Grado are right at home with rock music. They can sound a little thin and overly airy, but highly praised for guitar reproduction. Hoping C5 can add some body / note weight and smooth them a little.

I have a feeling that is exactly what the C5 will do for you. [...]

+1

Rich smooth sounding amplifier; no shrillness at all.
I like listening to it more than to my O2 (note: didn't say
it's "better", said "I like listening to it more..." 
cool.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,477 of 2,420

+1

Rich smooth sounding amplifier; no shrillness at all.
I like listening to it more than to my O2 (note: didn't say
it's "better", said "I like listening to it more..." 
cool.gif

Sounds like the C5 is made for me. Looking very much forward to receiving mine!

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,478 of 2,420
Apr 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,481 of 2,420
Looking forward to getting the C5.  Allow me to ask an amplifier "noob" question.  Will running the C5 on low gain extend battery life?

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,482 of 2,420
Looking forward to getting the C5.  Allow me to ask an amplifier "noob" question.  Will running the C5 on low gain extend battery life?

Yes

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,483 of 2,420
  Has anyone here experience with the C5DAC? Does it has the same amp as the classic C5? 

As far as I'm aware, the C5DAC hasn't been released yet. There have been a few pics of prototypes floating around, but that's about it.

There is a Cayin C6 that has a DAC with USB input compatible with smartphone digital output (like Lightning from iPhone).

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,485 of 2,420

Users who are viewing this thread

Back