The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Dec 31, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #424 of 1,511
We have a neighbor who works for a company who is in some financial difficulties at the moment and both the owner and the employees are a bit concerned about their futures.

Our neighbor was fearful that his new car loan may fall behind, and his new car may be re-possessed.

His Boss is concerned that his potential failed Automotive Leveraged Acquisition may also be satisfied by a debt for equity swap.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #425 of 1,511
Here in Australia at the moment there are some ridiculously good car deals to be had. The prices on cars have been dropping like hell, so those with the $$$ should be able to score something damn nice.

Speaking of nice cars, who here is a Golf GTi fan?

I also managed to discover during a bit of cornering yesterday that the seats in my Echo/Yaris are rubbish; With absolutely no lateral support I was sliding out of my seat when I was going through a 90-degree turn and had to hang onto the steering wheel........

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #426 of 1,511
I like the GTi, but it depends on which version you are speaking of. They carry alot of bloat these days. Maybe I'm too oldskool for my own good.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #427 of 1,511
If only cars were 1/2 the price, and there were roads with no speed limit!
Just like in Germany...

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #429 of 1,511
I wasn't into hatchbacks until I picked up a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3. I picked it up because of the price, interior and speed
smily_headphones1.gif
. The mod bug is about to hit because I picked up shifter bushings and a rear motor mount. Eventually a downpipe, intake and short throw shifter will follow...

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #430 of 1,511
i have a 2008 GTI. thought that it'd make a great commuter car and for the most part it is. kinda fast, pretty comfortable and decent gas mileage. what i don't like about it is the suspension and the shifter. talk about crazy body roll and a tranny where the throws are way too long and rubbery.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #431 of 1,511
I have a 2006 VW Mk1 (oldskool is semi-kool).... body roll, rubbery shifter... ah, indeed VW have kept the original design right through the entire history of the Golf range then.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #432 of 1,511
The MkIV was the most rubbish Golf for me. Looked fat, the Gti version was just pretty much a badge job, and they were not what I'd call reliable.

The only redeeming version was the R32, which I think is cooler than the current MkV R32 that tries too hard to be posh and luxurious.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #433 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find my friends Honda Civic VTI to be quite nice as well...
smile.gif

Engine down for rebuilding now, and he target 550whp from a turbo charged 1.8 liter. Should be fun.

88288528ga8.jpg

i have to let you know: the english on the side of the car is really terrible. no offense, i was born in oslo, but babelfish doesn't always lead you straight
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #434 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do people see car audio? one of my colleagues just got into a lexus for the stereo (mark levinson branded), and there was a recent audiophile society call for participation in a study in long beach of car audio equipment... long story short, here's my question:

is the sound a real reason to decide for or against a car for you?

absolutely NOT. and i would say: you should almost always avoid the high-end car audio that the dealer puts in. do it aftermarket, please

what you want is a quiet vehicle; that's most important to car audio; from there, hatchback's can be nice because the sub will flow a bit better, same with vans etc. and SPACE can be a bit of an issue, especially since any good car audio setup needs a sub and amp in the back. i like elemental designs, but there are many good car audio guys. if you can install yourself, you can save a bundle. if you can afford it, you can get some real pro installs with fiberglass, ipod hookups, goodies like that. and while you're at it, at least get some lcd's in the rear and get a console hooked up, or (my personal favorite) a car-PC with a bunch of emulators, mame, snes, all sorts of stuff; use xbox360 controllers and your backseat buddies are having lots of fun (headphones too are essential for that: headphones in the back, speakers in the front, that's the way god intended)

......sorry, i digressed, i'm just salivating thinking about it. so yes, more space is good if you want all these lovely things

but regardless, component speakers up front, no speakers in the backseat, a good sub and amp, a decent head unit, and you'll be doing fine. car audio is the eternal land of diminishing returns. it will never sound GREAT. but, if you use your car as much as i do, and if you enjoy listening to music while driving as much as i do, it can be well worth the cost, even though you know all along that some nice IEM's would drown out all the noise and sound even better (car sound imaging is a bit ugly).......but you can't do that while driving....... oh well

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #435 of 1,511
would never put a big fat heavy sub in my car, too much weight and i dont like bass
nor any games consoles/tvs, nah i dont see a car like that, not for show, for driving fun

the worst thing about my ex-car was the body roll, why i avoid hatches like the gti etc,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back