The Campfire Audio Orbit Is Available Now At Audio46
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #61 of 90
I have some of these too. I think I’ll get them out and try them on some newer sets. These are the “plunger” AZLAs, which is to say that they’re really rigid and thick. I find them to be the least comfortable of the various AZLA tips, but that isn’t much of a criticism as I find all of their models above average in comfort. You’re right that their main sonic quality is bass boost.
They do that, but I have found they enhance actual detail in a/B tests with spin fit, spiral dot, etc

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #62 of 90
I'd like to read a comparison between the Orbit and Sony xm4. I'm in doubt between them because here in Italy the xm4 have an interesting price of €175 now...

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #63 of 90
I'd like to read a comparison between the Orbit and Sony xm4. I'm in doubt between them because here in Italy the xm4 have an interesting price of €175 now...

My guess from what I've read is that the Orbit is going to sound a LOT better. The Sony is going to fit more easily and have more functions

Dec 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #64 of 90
My guess from what I've read is that the Orbit is going to sound a LOT better. The Sony is going to fit more easily and have more functions
People keep saying that, but XM4 has crushed all other contenders to date. Only one to beat it in sound is the Noble Fokus, but I could never get them to stay well in my ear because they do that stupid thing where the tip can keep riding up the iem. Super annoying.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #65 of 90
People keep saying that, but XM4 has crushed all other contenders to date. Only one to beat it in sound is the Noble Fokus, but I could never get them to stay well in my ear because they do that stupid thing where the tip can keep riding up the iem. Super annoying.

You might like the sound sig/tuning of Sony, for me personally I don't like it but I have heard some people call the Orbit 'Warm' which is another word I would use for Sony. My bet is you will get a bigger soundstage with improvements in imaging. But is it worth spending the money on them for marginal improvements in sound? I'm going to end up doing it because I like the style of these.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #66 of 90
You might like the sound sig/tuning of Sony, for me personally I don't like it but I have heard some people call the Orbit 'Warm' which is another word I would use for Sony. My bet is you will get a bigger soundstage with improvements in imaging. But is it worth spending the money on them for marginal improvements in sound? I'm going to end up doing it because I like the style of these.
I'm going to try them as well. For me, it's less about signature as I EQ. It's about resolution, stage, and tone. I'm going to pick these and the fw5 up just to test.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #67 of 90
I'm going to try them as well. For me, it's less about signature as I EQ. It's about resolution, stage, and tone. I'm going to pick these and the fw5 up just to test.
Nice, I opted for the Fw5 first as a little seasonal treat for myself and am gonna get the Orbit in a few weeks for a little Birthday treat tis the season and I'm feeling Jolly. If you have them both before i pick the Orbit's up I'd love your opinion of them neck for neck.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #68 of 90
I love the sound on these when the connection is stable. I went for a walk today and found the connection dropped so many times that I found myself wondering why I have these. Was using the Hiby R3 Pro. It was never more than 2 feet away from the IEMs but kept dropping so often that the only fix was to keep it almost at neck level. Very frustrating. It is this reason why I stopped going after BT devices. Now I'm not sure if I want to keep these. I know a lot of this depends on the source and conditions but, why must I compromise with a unit that costs this much. Some soul searching going on right now.
Have you tried it with another BT device? I have the Hiby R3 and as BT receiver is great but as emitter fail lots of times with Bluetooth earphones.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #69 of 90
I'm a fan of Campfire Audio IEMs and I also like Sony as brand. The doubt is about the price and the fit (every tws I bought don't fit very well).

Orbit cost $249 + shipping and tax (~€330).

Xm4 cost €175 and if they don't fit well or sound good I could send them back to Amazon.

I'll wait some more feedback about the Orbit.

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #70 of 90
I'm a fan of Campfire Audio IEMs and I also like Sony as brand. The doubt is about the price and the fit (every tws I bought don't fit very well).

Orbit cost $249 + shipping and tax (~€330).

Xm4 cost €175 and if they don't fit well or sound good I could send them back to Amazon.

I'll wait some more feedback about the Orbit.
There is a shop in Spain that sells the orbits through Amazon Spain and in their website as well if you are interested.. it's called supersonido.es

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #71 of 90
There is a shop in Spain that sells the orbits through Amazon Spain and in their website as well if you are interested.. it's called supersonido.es
Wow! Thank you very much!

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #72 of 90
Have you tried it with another BT device? I have the Hiby R3 and as BT receiver is great but as emitter fail lots of times with Bluetooth earphones.
I have the same problem with BT on my AP80 and M6. Yet on my a105 the connection is always solid. Wonder if they go cheap on the BT with the lower end DAPs to keep the price down? Just a PITA because the small pocket size of the players makes them perfect to match up with BT.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #73 of 90
I received these yesterday and have put them through the paces for a few hours.

I also own or have owned the AirPods Pro 1 & 2, Sennheiser Momentum TW 2 & 3. I also own some higher-end wired IEMs, like the Sennheiser IE900, and I also picked up the Campfire Trifecta. I listen to lot of different genres, so I like equipment that performs well across.

TL;DR - My early thoughts on these is that they are decent, but I'm not sure they're worth it at $250, especially if you already have a pair of recent bluetooth buds. If you're looking at these for your first pair, these may work, but there are a lot of options that I find equally good or better. If you like V-shaped tunes and are willing to use the in-app EQ they are (arguably) better than the AirPods Pro but not as good (arguably) as other true wireless from big audio companies like Sennheiser.

Overall, these are a V-shaped, "energetic" listen. I've listened to my fair share of V-shaped tunes in my day, and these were dark/veiled in the mids and highs, even for me. There is an EQ that helped with this (will come back to that). Tuning aside, the FR performance is just so/so. The mid bass is definitely elevated, but it's not as full or detailed in the sub bass as the competition. I also didn't find the detail of the highs to be any more articulate than the competition, even after upping the highs with EQ a bit. The mids are just OK - not fatiguing, and quickness is OK for the price. Overall, these are not bad per se, but you can get as good or better detail and clarity across the frequency range with the competition at the same price. I find these a bit on the dry side tone wise.

The AirPods Pro 2 have a more balanced overall sound. They are less energetic but have more clarity and detail (if you don't EQ the Orbit). For example, they don't have the elevated bass of the Orbits, but the little sub bass boost that the AirPods do have result in a, more controlled, articulate sub bass and bass region overall. The Sennheiser TW3 have a similar frequency response but simply perform better at it. Sub bass is FAR better on the TW3s, both in terms of volume and cleanliness; the mids are lush and more lifelike, and the highs sparkle a bit more.

The stage and positioning on the Orbit is pretty good to me as well. Width is average, but depth is actually above average and helps give these a good sense of space (something I'm learning may be a Campfire house trait); height is average, and space between the pieces of the mix and positioning performance is also good for a true wireless - better than the AirPods but not the Sennheisers. I would call these moderately intimate. The AirPods Pro 2 take a more relaxed approach to their presentation, putting everything out in front of you a bit (as if you are listening from a few rows back), and the Orbits do that as well, but have better depth and positioning. The Sennheiser TW3s have a more intimate stage that brings everything in close and the sides out wide (as if you are on the stage). Neither of these is wrong, just a matter of listening preference, and the Orbit is between the two.

Where the Orbits really fall short is on the additional feature side. Like a lot in this sub, I put sound quality over all, so I don't necessarily care about other features when I'm buying a new headphone. The Orbits lack of any type of ANC, transparency, auto-pause, etc., and it is a miss at this price point. The connectivity is still a bit buggy, the app is buggy (my left bud always shows 0% charged in the app) even though the app itself is bare bones. You can't customize the touch controls, only turn them off, and the EQ presets have no labels or detail other than number labels, so you either do it by ear, or just make your own custom preset. That's all the app does outside of update firmware. There doesn't seem to be bluetooth multipoint for quick switching between devices, and the app itself only works on my phone, not my iPad. The reason this stuff is a big miss at this price point is because to me, the sound isn't differentiating enough to make up for not having them.

Comfort is good for me personally. Mileage will vary of course, though I found the foam tips to be better for fit (silicon are included as well), and they are stable. I use the smallest size, which I do think is a bit large for a smallest included size, but I can't complain because they do fit, and I could probably do a light workout in them.

It's hard for me to recommend these as a solo daily driver because of the lack of quality of life features PLUS the fact that the sound presentation isn't differentiating enough (to me) to make up for it at this price point. I also think for most, they would require EQ. However, if you can get the EQ to your liking, from a pure sound presentation perspective, these perform well. Everything in this price range has its potential weakness, so it's all about your tastes and preferences :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #74 of 90
IMG_7730.jpg
IMG_7734.jpg
IMG_7735.jpg
IMG_7752.jpg

graph.png

Let's just say I am quite glad there is an app with EQ support. The case and IEMs themselves are good and well-designed, but I can't tell whether the Made in China part has meant in some OEM drivers and its stock tonality being employed here.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #75 of 90
IMG_7730.jpg IMG_7734.jpg IMG_7735.jpg IMG_7752.jpg
graph.png

Let's just say I am quite glad there is an app with EQ support. The case and IEMs themselves are good and well-designed, but I can't tell whether the Made in China part has meant in some OEM drivers and its stock tonality being employed here.
Thanks for sharing this. Makes me feel good that the measurements match what I heard to my ear. I actually used the app to pretty much boost the mids and highs fairly evenly, then added a small sub bass bump.

It’s why I couldn’t really call them truly v-shaped because of the treble roll off. The veil out of the box is quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back