The 'Bose...WHY!?' thread
Mar 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #76 of 87
Just a couple points I wanted to throw out... (disclaimer: I'm neither for nor against Bose products)

#1.
To consider the Bose headphones "overpriced" you have to consider a couple different points (there's more but I choose to address only 2), one of which is related to point #2. The other thing to consider is - On what basis do you consider them "overpriced"?

If the judgment of Bose being "overpriced" is due to the performance in comparison to your alternatives, then yes they may very well be overpriced. However I think an argument saying something like "all audiophile gear is overpriced thus Bose isn't any worse off" is only valid if you are of the opinion that there's a way to quantify the increments of benefit you can derive from different equipment. I don't think there's a way to quantify the benefits of "better" equipment, so the judgment on whether something is overpriced for its performance needs to be considered in comparison to your available alternatives at the same performance point.

If a product has no alternatives that provides the same performance and there's no way to quantify the incremental benefit, you can't really call it overpriced no matter the price point except to say "there's something better for lower cost". I think the point most people are making about Bose products is that there are better alternatives for the same price point, not that Bose is much more overpriced than say an HD800 or GS1000, etc.

#2.
Has anyone considered what a Grado SR-80 would cost if Grado spent as much on marketing as Bose does on their products? I personally would actually prefer that Grado spend all of their resources on developing and manufacturing high quality headphones rather than marketing, because if they were as heavily marketed as Bose I believe I would still be saving up for an SR-80 rather than enjoying them.

The business plan/strategy is obviously very different for Bose and Grado. Bose goes for the mass market knowing that the marketing message, presentation of the product, and a high quality and very visible brand combined with a reasonably good product is going to allow them to sell a much higher volume to the masses than a very high quality product with very little marketing will. Companies like Grado, on the other hand, seem to eschew mass marketing in order to focus more on developing high quality phones.

Carrying this illustration a step further, just imagine that it costs $10 to produce "medium quality" phones and $15 to produce "high quality" phones. I think Bose prefers to spend another $10 on marketing "medium quality" phones and sell them for $25 to 1000 users rather than produce $15 to produce "high quality" phones, spend $5 on marketing, and sell them for $25 to 100 users. The numbers are rather contrived of course, but just trying to accentuate the point.

I'd really like this trend to continue personally, because the people who really care about audio quality will sooner or later drift into the Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, etc camp and find much higher quality products that would otherwise be even more expensive than they are if their respective companies heavily marketed them. On the other hand, the people who are happy with reasonably good products will stay with Bose and get sound that they're happy enough with. What's so bad about that?

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #77 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you people like to bash Bose so much? Surely they can't be that bad.

the same reason why atheists like to bash religious people's views.

the same reason why Dianna Krall fans like to bash britney/rihanna fans

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #78 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the same reason why Dianna Krall fans like to bash britney/rihanna fans

Yep.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #79 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not so much a matter of bashing as criticizing, and I personally believe that in some cases it is warranted. In some cases it's elitism but often it's just a matter of treating a religious claim as they would if it was any other scientific theory, and I think that writing them off as elitist or whatever else is unfair in these cases. We don't all deserve a bad reputation for how some of the immature atheists act.
frown.gif

I think the same goes for BOSE bashing. I'm not going to deny that some people are elitist but there are valid reasons for disliking BOSE based on either their products or how they conduct their business.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not so much a matter of bashing as criticizing, and I personally believe that in some cases it is warranted. In some cases it's elitism but often it's just a matter of treating a religious claim as they would if it was any other scientific theory, and I think that writing them off as elitist or whatever else is unfair in these cases. We don't all deserve a bad reputation for how some of the immature atheists act.
frown.gif

I think the same goes for BOSE bashing. I'm not going to deny that some people are elitist but there are valid reasons for disliking BOSE based on either their products or how they conduct their business.

If you criticize Bose you are bashing them or a troll.. Some Bose owners are very defensive.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #81 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait what? so because "we" knows something, "we" is therefore a reasonable defence? who's to say premium hp's aren't overpriced? most users even accept it, its diminishing returns in action (prove to me a linear or even less than linear relationship between price and performance, and prove that the TriPort and HD 800 won't fall on the same trend line
wink_face.gif
)

Yes, everything is subjective.. I'm sure right & wrong is subjective too.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #82 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not really, depends on what you're measuring, and how you measure (its hard to measure psychoacoustics, let me say that, and before you say "well thats unique to Bose!", many omni/dipole speakers have the same issue with measurements being misleading (Mirage for example))

Once again you're falling into the "subjective vs. science" hole. If you're going to hold a definitive argument then science is the only thing to hold it by. If you want to argue subjectivity then anything and everything can be thrown in the loop. We can measure Mirage for example . . . we may not like what we see, but may love what we hear. That's subjectivity against objectivity.

Quote:

HeadRoom at one time measured Bose hp's:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...20Response.jpg

thats an old measurement (and its noise cancelling hp's too, which I don't consider to be "audiophile" products by any means)

not "terrible", not "flat", but "alright" (its in-line with the Senns, so its not like they're on their own planet measurements wise (and it isn't the bathtub most people claim))

I agree that noise canceling seems to play games we rather not see, but just for the sake of debate consider this:

What's the MSRP on both? $140 for the Senns and a whopping $300 for the Bose. Can you justify twice the cost for a headphone that performs arguably on the same level as the cheaper one? This is the objective approach, where subjective is "maybe this bass hump over the other will make me feel more drawn in and give a darker sound".

That's why people dislike Bose in the end. They rather make the consumer pay for their marketing on top of the product rather than competing in line with price and performance. A Bose HTiB is just that . . . a HTiB with the Bose name slapped on it. You could buy any HTiB and get similar if not better performance at a third of the price objectively.

The biggest complaint I have with Bose is that they misinform the general populace and make it harder for really good quality gear at affordable prices to compete. Talk to someone with Bose gear and often you'll find them uninformed and preaching the quality of Bose to other people that will go and buy Bose based on testimonial and a cnet review
rolleyes.gif

Also note I said often, there are some exceptions to the rule though fair and few in between.

Whether you feel this dislike of the company is justified or not is up to you. I don't like how they do business and will openly criticize the company for it like I do many others. If you don't like it take the tongue and cheek "everybody's a critic" approach and walk away.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #83 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not so much a matter of bashing as criticizing, and I personally believe that in some cases it is warranted

Well, criticizing is all fine and good when it's warranted, but the horse is dead
deadhorse.gif
. Beating it for the sake of beating it when no one else brought up the subject (i.e. starting a thread that leads to the beating of said dead horse) is probably more bashing than criticizing.

Alright, part of me just wanted an excuse to use that smiley
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, criticizing is all fine and good when it's warranted, but the horse is dead
deadhorse.gif
. Beating it for the sake of beating it when no one else brought up the subject (i.e. starting a thread that leads to the beating of said dead horse) is probably more bashing than criticizing.

Alright, part of me just wanted an excuse to use that smiley
smily_headphones1.gif

True, but this thread isn't about BOSE, really. When you think about it, what it's really about is discussion and debate regarding the difference in musical preferences between audiophiles and, well, everyone else. It's about figuring out why people listen to TriPorts and what most of us consider to be nicer cans and say they like the TriPorts better.

I remember before I got into audio I was attracted to overly bright bass-lacking sound, because my mind confused it with clarity. It's similar to how I have a strange affinity for unrealistic contrast/color saturation when playing video games. Does it look less realistic? Yeah. But for whatever reason it looks nicer to me. I think this is what the discussion is really meant to be about, why the mind instinctively prefers colored sounds to accurate ones. Unfortunately, the thread was hijacked by every user and his cat who had to get a post in calling this thread pointless/bigoted/ignorant/getting old/whatever else and the potentially interesting discussion never happened.

But I might be wrong.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #85 of 87
For me, seeing Bose in public is like seeing those kick me signs on a nerds back. I don't kick 'em though, just a knowing chuckle. I have a pair of the first QC that are now dismantled. They were a gift and I didn't care for the noise canceling much. They sounded ok but certainly nothing to brag about. The head band is in use though, along with Beyer DT250 250 ohm drivers and Koss TD/80 cups.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #86 of 87
You guys should check out the rating of the bose triports in amazon hahaha. More 1 stars than 5 stars. I saw those at best buy and thought they retailed for $18-25, not $140 o_O.

I can easily understand people liking bad headphones though, they don't reveal how bad their source or 128kbps audio files are. For almost two months I've been stuck with extremely sterile and transparent studio headphones (god why did no one warn me they were studio headphones???). And even though I got a pretty good mid-fi setup with no weak links (custom cables and clean power etc) I don't think I like what the headphones are revealing about my setup/music files, so yesterday I jumped on a deal for cheaper headphones that were so unpopular because of their low SQ they got discontinued early. Stuffing my mp3 player full of crossfed and 85% compressed audio files in preparation for low-fidelity musical enjoyment ^_^. Never again will I try to make a setup more revealing than what they probably hear in the studio, most music is mastered for bad equipment.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #87 of 87
Most* Bose users seem** to not really know/care much about the musical reproduction involved with the sound chain. They may choose to buy Bose products for other reasons (status, comfort, looks, design, size, etc.), which is fine, but it doesn't seem to be the case that they buy them with sound quality as their top priority. This is why there is a lot of Bose bashing on audiophile sites, in my opinion: a group of people who are (nearly) singularly focused on sound quality can't be expected to play nicely with those who buy products in the same price range but don't know/care too much about the sound.

Case in point from my Midway>Champaign bus trip yesterday: a girl was wearing Triports the whole way... backwards. 'Nuff said.

-----------------
[size=xx-small]*I carefully chose this word.
**I carefully chose this word, too.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back