Mar 23, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #61 of 87
May I suggest a point #5,

Great job! have a beer, brosef!
beerchug.gif

It could come in handy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #62 of 87
Back to the original topic...

Why do people buy Bose? Because they've never heard of any other HP company, except Sony.

Bose's marketing is everywhere. They have made their product household words.

Rather than scoff at the people who bought a product from a company that's blanketed the world with excellent advertising...you might consider scoffing at the audiophile companies for their piss-poor marketing campaigns.

Try it. Get outside your audiophile circle, and ask a group of people...'Name the best headphones in the world.'

They'll all say Bose. Why? They've never heard of anything else.

If Grado hired Wilfred Brimley, and had him sitting in a recliner saying "I never heard music....until I put on my Grado headphones. Folks, these are the best sounding headphones in the world. And, they're American made. Buy Grados. You'll finally hear music...for the first time."

Then, we'd have a competition with Bose. But right now? Bose wins because their marketing is vastly superior.

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #63 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the original topic...

Why do people buy Bose? Because they've never heard of any other HP company, except Sony.

Bose's marketing is everywhere. They have made their product household words.

Rather than scoff at the people who bought a product from a company that's blanketed the world with excellent advertising...you might consider scoffing at the audiophile companies for their piss-poor marketing campaigns.

Try it. Get outside your audiophile circle, and ask a group of people...'Name the best headphones in the world.'

They'll all say Bose. Why? They've never heard of anything else.

If Grado hired Wilfred Brimley, and had him sitting in a recliner saying "I never heard music....until I put on my Grado headphones. Folks, these are the best sounding headphones in the world. And, they're American made. Buy Grados. You'll finally hear music...for the first time."

Then, we'd have a competition with Bose. But right now? Bose wins because their marketing is vastly superior.

uh, I'd have to disagree, at least wrt Bose hp's, they're fairly competitive in the markets they move in, the noise-cancelling models have next to zero competition, are usually less expensive (yes AT and Sony make cheaper models, how often do you see them outside of AC or Amazon?) than other "big names" (i.e the premium Sony's and the Senn's), and are pretty comfy (and most people buy noise cancelling headphones for things like roadtrips or flights, not critical listening, so thats a big factor)

and the TriPort's will (imho) compare decently to other things in their price segment (but of course, you're gonna compare them to more expensive things, which I've also done, and they're still standing
smile_phones.gif
)

there isn't really a "problem" with Bose, other than they espouse an image of "we're the right fit for EVERYONE", and thats inaccurate (no speaker/headphone is right for "everyone")

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #64 of 87
Skullcandy bashing I understand, but this? Bose isn't that bad, we have a few older speakers and they sound great.

EDIT- Just realized what forum this was in. Hahaha yeah...

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #65 of 87
BOSE still wins in alot of factors, comfort, portability with a hard carry case which is definately more important to alot of people than just sound. Does it kill Audio Technica, Denon to even include a hard carry case, if i would compare i would still go for the BOSE because of comfort and carry case :p

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #66 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BOSE still wins in alot of factors, comfort, portability with a hard carry case which is definately more important to alot of people than just sound. Does it kill Audio Technica, Denon to even include a hard carry case, if i would compare i would still go for the BOSE because of comfort and carry case :p

I own the Denons...they came with a hard carrying case.

Thank you for proving my point. People know more about Bose...and don't know jack about other companies.

Even here on Head-Fi, many people know all about Bose, and zero about competitors.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #67 of 87
Quote:

I own the Denons...they came with a hard carrying case.

Thank you for proving my point. People know more about Bose...and don't know jack about other companies.

Even here on Head-Fi, many people know all about Bose, and zero about competitors.

which Denon's have a hard carry case? and which Bose have a hard carry case? I've seen neither, and owned products from both...

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #68 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which Denon's have a hard carry case? and which Bose have a hard carry case? I've seen neither, and owned products from both...

The Denon AH-NC732 noise-canceling phones come with a nice hard carrying case. I own them, and the case is very nice.

And, they sound great.

As for Bose, I'll let people who own them do the talking.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #69 of 87
Quote:

The Denon AH-NC732 noise-canceling phones come with a nice hard carrying case. I own them, and the case is very nice.

And, they sound great.

As for Bose, I defer to people who own them.

ah, figured it would be those (they're the only Denon's I haven't seen or heard)

as far as the Bose, mine came with a little bag/carrying pouch, but no hardcase

maybe the aviation stuff has a hardcase? idk

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #70 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, figured it would be those (they're the only Denon's I haven't seen or heard)

as far as the Bose, mine came with a little bag/carrying pouch, but no hardcase

maybe the aviation stuff has a hardcase? idk

This is OT, but I wish the other Denons had a case too...the 2000's came with nothing. The 7000's have this silly silk-lined display box. Like you want to put it on your mantel, with a spotlight on it. I wish they came with a real case, like the Beyerdynamic 880's....now that was a case!

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #71 of 87
The Quietcomforts have a hard case. A pretty nice one actually, but rather big. About 7 by 7 inches.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #72 of 87
Under quantitative measurements Bose blow, and hard.

On the other hand there's plenty of "audiophile" speakers that take subjectivity as the whole selling point and considering price, may actually be worse from reproduction ideals than Bose (though I have my doubts, Bose is pretty bad).

This is why I dislike the "subjective vs. science" argument though. Make of it what you will.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #73 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under quantitative measurements Bose blow, and hard.

not really, depends on what you're measuring, and how you measure (its hard to measure psychoacoustics, let me say that, and before you say "well thats unique to Bose!", many omni/dipole speakers have the same issue with measurements being misleading (Mirage for example))

HeadRoom at one time measured Bose hp's:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...20Response.jpg

thats an old measurement (and its noise cancelling hp's too, which I don't consider to be "audiophile" products by any means)

not "terrible", not "flat", but "alright" (its in-line with the Senns, so its not like they're on their own planet measurements wise (and it isn't the bathtub most people claim))

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #74 of 87
Ah, the one dead horse I don't mind having flogged some more
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

This is OT, but I wish the other Denons had a case too...the 2000's came with nothing. The 7000's have this silly silk-lined display box. Like you want to put it on your mantel, with a spotlight on it. I wish they came with a real case, like the Beyerdynamic 880's....now that was a case!

Ultrasone has a pretty damn nice hard case as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back