The 'Bose...WHY!?' thread
Mar 22, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #31 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? So why does the first post start like this:

Anyone who starts a thread like this on Head-Fi knows exactly what kind of discussion will follow. Threads like this are redundant.

And so is this kind of language. Please refrain from it.

I thought you'd bring that up. Yes, he did mention Bose-bashing, but did not say "This thread is for Bose bashing." He may have implied that Bose bashing is going to happen, or that a low opinion of Bose was inherent in the purpose of the thread. To say that his comment implied that the purpose of the thread was Bose-bashing is a poorly founded assumption.

As for language, I don't think that's the right word to describe it. Generally that refers to using obscene words, I used none. If you take issue with what I have to say, that's one thing, but it wasn't a "language" issue.

It's impossible to really know the tone of someone on the internet, and I hope the condescension I sensed in your post is just the result of my interpretation.

Am I the only one that finds all of this argument ridiculous? Why can't people just post in threads they like and ignore threads they dislike?

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you'd bring that up. Yes, he did mention Bose-bashing, but did not say "This thread is for Bose bashing." He may have implied that Bose bashing is going to happen, or that a low opinion of Bose was inherent in the purpose of the thread. To say that his comment implied that the purpose of the thread was Bose-bashing is a poorly founded assumption.

Yay for logic saving the day.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #33 of 87
Hummm.. BOSE are massively overpriced?? How much are the HD800? Edition 9? Grado's .. they are the 'really' overpriced ones!

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 87
We'll just have to wait and see (in the case of the HD800/PS1000), won't we?
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hummm.. BOSE are massively overpriced?? How much are the HD800? Edition 9? Grado's .. they are the 'really' overpriced ones!

Thing is, all audio (minus DIY), particularly high-end audio, is overpriced. If you disagree, then you need to do some research. Thing is Bose is overpriced (to point of acceptability) throughout their range.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #36 of 87
I have occasionally demoed the Bose Tri-Ports at stores the past few months, and repeatedly I am somewhat bothered by how impressed I am with the sound. I don't think they sound great, but to my noob ears they do sound quite a bit better than cheapo headphones. I of course prefer my AD700 and V6, but I don't think these sound near so bad as often described here--I wish it weren't true! Do I suffer from some ailment?

Sidenote: Has anyone listened to "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson on the Tri-Ports? This song seems to my ears to sound better on the Bose than my own phones. And thanks to Eyedrop for articulating why the sound is appealing to some!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly why Bose is popular: They are easy to use, have small form factor, and have a big, powerful sound. Average people pick bose over hi-fi stuff because the Bose will give the impression of sounding fuller and more impactful. They have shakin bass, clearer than cheap-o mids, and a crystal sounding treble that dosent actually extend.

The trick Bose uses to sound good (they undeniably sound better than cheap stuff) is: using reflections to their advantage (makes the spacious soundstage), a dark sound signature (to make an aggressive and authoritative warm tone for the instruments) and equalizing the speakers (to make up for the small size and/or cheap ass configuration of the speaker).

Bose has a very convincing and unique sound that will draw most people into the music. The problem with Bose is they will make awful recordings sound good, and good recordings sounds way emphasized and artificial. Your average joe will think that is what good sound is supposed to do.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #37 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mookowz13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...is it just me or are these threads starting to reproduce like jackrabbits?

Is that kitty a British shorthair or Russian Blue? So cute
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This whole Bose thing is so funny. And so condescending.

It's like seeing someone reading a trashy novel, and telling them 'You really should be reading literature.'

Jeez, what's wrong with people that they don't like what I like?
rolleyes.gif

I think you missed the boat on that one.. Do head fiers tell other head fiers what to listen to in regards to Sen, AKG, AT, etc? It's easy to see..

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #39 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, a Bose headphone with the HD800/E9 capabilities would cost 3,000. Again, BOSE is over priced.. And why are the HD800 over priced? Cause you think they are? We all know BOSE is over priced.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #40 of 87
Ok so I have about $2000 to spend on headphones. Should I buy Triports or HD800? Surely Americans make better headphones than Germans. Germany was destroyed in WW2 so their technology cannot be as advanced as American.

Bose for the win right?

PS: Anyone who replies with "obvious troll is obvious" gets an instant fail.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, a Bose headphone with the HD800/E9 capabilities would cost 3,000. Again, BOSE is over priced.. And why are the HD800 over priced? Cause you think they are? We all know BOSE is over priced.

wait what? so because "we" knows something, "we" is therefore a reasonable defence? who's to say premium hp's aren't overpriced? most users even accept it, its diminishing returns in action (prove to me a linear or even less than linear relationship between price and performance, and prove that the TriPort and HD 800 won't fall on the same trend line
wink_face.gif
)

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #42 of 87
Dollars to donuts that the poster claiming the HD800's are overpriced has nopt heard them. I'm not saying that the HD800's are not overpriced, i'm in fact making no claim with regards to there value giving there price as I have not heard them myself (hent, hint). Just because they cost $1400US does not neccesarrily make them overpriced. Whereas bose has been used by many on this forum (including me) and compared to other headphones at higher, lower and in the same price range. The performance of the bose for the price is underwhelming. If they only cost 20% of there current cost they would be a descent headphone (though still with a 'fake' sound).

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #43 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dollars to donuts that the poster claiming the HD800's are overpriced has nopt heard them. I'm not saying that the HD800's are not overpriced, i'm in fact making no claim with regards to there value giving there price as I have not heard them myself (hent, hint). Just because they cost $1400US does not neccesarrily make them overpriced. Whereas bose has been used by many on this forum (including me) and compared to other headphones at higher, lower and in the same price range. The performance of the bose for the price is underwhelming. If they only cost 20% of there current cost they would be a descent headphone (though still with a 'fake' sound).

this is all subjective performance to assess quantitative value, thats like saying because I like my house more than I like your house, my house is worth more, because I compared the two, and found mine better
wink_face.gif

reference, see #3

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #44 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Says the dude with Bang and Olufsen stereo, snigger.
ksc75smile.gif

B&O is actually pretty well regarded in terms of sound in the A/V theater world, but also highly priced because of the aesthetics, so there is indeed better for the money. But my B&O Pentas have a pentagonal shaped box that minimizes box resonances, freq response is 55-20,000hz +/- 6db, they use Seas drivers with DSP, Oh, and they are active column speakers with high volume, low distortion, presise wide sound stage and an awesome power response that makes air guitar that much more fun. All Im sayin is, dont dog on B&O speakers. They are expensive and concentrate alot of efforts on aesthetics. But they still have proper engineering and publish good specs.

There headphones I heard are sadly, a different story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back