The Bomber (RSA B52 Devastation)
Mar 19, 2008 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

shaizada

500+ Head-Fier
B52a.jpg

P1010038.JPG

I'm going to try really hard to find some words, but please don't mind my staggering thoughts as it is going to be very hard for me to express my thoughts coherently. Apologies in advance...I can barely think properly with this beast in front of me.
eek.gif

THE SOUNDS I HEAR RIGHT NOW SCARE ME TO DEATH...

Forget the sound for the moment, I am not kidding you when I say that I am truly feeling "Scared" when I listen through my HD-600 (Stefan Arts Equinox Balanced). I feel scared because I'm totally spooked by the holographic 3D sound I hear with the darn headphones on. The voices are REAL, the drum hits are REAL, the crowd is REAL....its the "reality" that has my mind just whacked out.

You see, my mind TELLS me that its just headphones because I am physically putting them on, but it just FEELS real. Just a spooky experience and I don't know how else to put it. I've flinched so many times and turned around to see whats behind me SOOOOO MANY TIMES that now my neck just hurts. Everything is just so frikkin real. There seem to be REAL musicians infront of me, people around me (the crowd in live concert recordings) and behind me (hate the sensation of people behind me) that I'm just completely confused and amazed at the same time.

I just wanted to share that for now...I'll write more later as I try hard to come back to my senses and get a grip on what is real and what is not.

Oh, one more thing. My dynamic headphone journey is done in terms of major component changes. No change in source or preamp/headphone amp. Might pick up a headphone or two, but I'm done.

Thank god and head-fi for a beautiful and thoughtful musical journey...I loved every moment of it starting from my Tangent Meta42.

~G

PS:- I rolled in some Amperex 7062 in place of the already excellent sounding stock 12AU7 tubes. The 3D soundstage exploded and is the reason behind my trembling hands and racing thoughts about the amp.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, how much better than apache?

I knew you were going to ask that sooner or later
tongue.gif

One thing I've realized is that the solid state Apache sound can't be directly compared with the B52 tube sound. Both are really amazing sounding units but I have to tip my hat off to the B52 for blowing my mind out. I was amazed by the Apache, but I am in utter heavenly bliss with the tube sound.

With the Amperex tubes, I've clearly enhanced all the strengths of the stock B52 (soundstage increase in width and height, bass increases, sound sweetens and becomes ultra real, details become more apparent, spookiness factor easily doubles from the realism etc). I haven't even rolled the 5687 output tubes.

I think you will be well rewarded when you decide to step up to the B52...its a logical and pleasant end to all this upgrading business. Looking back, I definitely enjoyed the "journey" but I'm very content with my dynamic setup and don't think I will need to explore dynamic headphone amplification any further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, what kind of tube dampeners you got on there?

I came across these dampers and they were advertised as "The Lexus" of tube dampers. I couldn't agree more. One of my Amperex 7062 pairs was somewhat microphonic and these dampers definitely addressed the issue. Whisper quite tubes now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice pics! My ultimate setup I would like involves B52 + B22 balanced
biggrin.gif
Congratulations on your purchase!

Thanks a lot! I would love to hear a B22 sometime. Actually, I would really love to hear the new B24 as well.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I've realized is that the solid state Apache sound can't be directly compared with the B52 tube sound. Both are really amazing sounding units but I have to tip my hat off to the B52 for blowing my mind out. I was amazed by the Apache, but I am in utter heavenly bliss with the tube sound.

I think you will be well rewarded when you decide to step up to the B52...its a logical and pleasant end to all this upgrading business.

i bet i would be rewarded, but it is a lot of coin for that amp - even used, not that they come up on those markets. the one you purchased was the *1st* one i had ever seen in the FS forum. maybe one day. we'll see.

anyway, enjoy the bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came across these dampers and they were advertised as "The Lexus" of tube dampers. I couldn't agree more. One of my Amperex 7062 pairs was somewhat microphonic and these dampers definitely addressed the issue. Whisper quite tubes now.

What are the dampeners called?

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh. Sellers remorse is much harder to deal with than buyers remorse. Happy thoughts...think happy thoughts....

smily_headphones1.gif

Don't know if this will help but, the beast found a loving and caring home. You're welcome to come over anytime.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the dampeners called?

Mher,

I don't know any "name" per se, but I had come across someone's Audiogon ad and I thought they would be great for any microphonic tubes I might end up with.

Here's a better pic:

tubedampers.jpg

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #13 of 87
I've been enjoying an Apache for a couple of months now and its awesome but I decided to try tubes to hear what was special about the character of tubes. After reading post after post on the B52 and it coming down to a week or two before there's a B52 in my main system I am losing sleep. I have not been this excited since I got my first powered moped motorized motorbike at 14 years old. It opened a whole new avenue having weels to take me wherever I needed to go. This is the only thing I can think of that had me excited this way. I must admit I was more excited when I saw my daughter for the very first time but that's something else. In terms of toys this is up there with the motorbike. I knew the Predator was going to continuosly cost me money as I'm listening to this little amp often and when surfing audio gear and accessories it takes a goos sense of will power not to buy Audiogon but I'm learning. The Apache has me smoking in my main system be it with phones or speakers the apache gives my system an entirely new character which I very much like. The HR-2 which was in my music room is now my bedroom system and I think I'll never want to sell that amp.It was the begining of true headphone sound which I never experienced until that amp.
The Predator is amazing. It's still getting better and it has over 1500 houirs on it. At this point I'm turning it off when not in use as I think it may do it good to give it a break from time to time yet she still is improving.This little amp has a lushness about it that pulls you right into the sounstage created by the amp and headphones. It's an experience within itself which I enjoy regardless the bigger toys upstairs. I'm excited!
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 87
I thought there was a shelf behind your B52 with knick-knacks on it (small collectibles) in front of a window, until i realized it was the bottom tool bar on your Mac screen...lol.

I only thought it for a second.

Nice amp, id love to hear one. I heard the Apache at meets, but im hardly ever impressed with anything at meets because its just too rushed and noisy there.

The only things that ever impressed me at meets so far is Woo Audio amps, and the little Cowan Iaudio 7 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back