The Bomber (RSA B52 Devastation)
Apr 7, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #76 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With many people going to hard drives to store and use the music and feeling the sound is better than most any transport, I don't see the need for a transport. You also have the advantage of music at your fingertips without the hassle. With regards to a good dac, there are many and they don't have to cost a king's ransom. I am sure something good will filter through just give it time.

looks like ill just have to wait and see what i can cook up by the end of the summer. can jam wont make things any easier but at least ill have a better appreciation of high end gear than i do now. =/

for now i just cant help but feel jealous of the OP. I HATE YOU FOR HAVING SUCH A PRETTY AMP. well not really but i should. bring on the impressions(more) man. tis what we be waiting fo!

lastly, why is it that everywhere i look today i can only see what a total waste my life is amounting to be. jamato, i chanced upon the link to all your photos and all i can say is...well im speechless. i spent 12 years of my life living about 120 miles from the nepalese border in india and boy did those pictures bring back some memories. especially the old man in the straw hat. just wow. brilliant work buddy. safe to say i shall be studying for my upcoming test (as much as i dont want to >< its so nice outside...blah!). until now head fi was just a drain on my wallet and now its affecting my conscious...NO FAIR!

i must say again, lovely work!

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #77 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like ill just have to wait and see what i can cook up by the end of the summer. can jam wont make things any easier but at least ill have a better appreciation of high end gear than i do now. =/

for now i just cant help but feel jealous of the OP. I HATE YOU FOR HAVING SUCH A PRETTY AMP. well not really but i should. bring on the impressions(more) man. tis what we be waiting fo!

lastly, why is it that everywhere i look today i can only see what a total waste my life is amounting to be. jamato, i chanced upon the link to all your photos and all i can say is...well im speechless. i spent 12 years of my life living about 120 miles from the nepalese border in india and boy did those pictures bring back some memories. especially the old man in the straw hat. just wow. brilliant work buddy. safe to say i shall be studying for my upcoming test (as much as i dont want to >< its so nice outside...blah!). until now head fi was just a drain on my wallet and now its affecting my conscious...NO FAIR!

i must say again, lovely work!

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the images. I try to transport a person to where I was so they can have an emotional and meaningful experience.

Beautiful day here Santa Rosa, Calif.

Going to the torch carrying ceremony in San FRan day after tomorrow. I will see what type of images I can get.

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #78 of 87
Jamato, you really have a knack for photography. I don't recall one picture of yours that I did not like. They are ALL just beautiful.

As for the amp....I've added a picture to the first post. One very nice improvement for my Apmerex tubes (7062) is in the form of some interesting tube dampers.

I added these Allnic Gel based tube dampers and all my tube microphonic issues just vanished. I am just in awe of this as there is absolutely no tube noise being amplified at ALL! All my XRCDs sound even better now and the noise floor just dropped intensely. Mind you, the original tubes were absolutely silent, but I love the Amperex sound for the B52 and the only thing that bothered me was some of the tube microphony. ALL GONE
wink.gif
Clean as a whistle.

Here is a link to the dampers:
Absorb-GEL Vacuum Tube Dampers

Amazing product and worked out well for my system.

Happy listening folks.

~Gaurav

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #79 of 87
I can't take looking at the images of the 52 any longer. I keep banging my hand on my screen when I reach out to touch it. I know I have said this before but I would most likely spend as much time listening as looking at it, Hey, I could do both at the same time! :^)

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamato, you really have a knack for photography. I don't recall one picture of yours that I did not like. They are ALL just beautiful.

As for the amp....I've added a picture to the first post. One very nice improvement for my Apmerex tubes (7062) is in the form of some interesting tube dampers.

I added these Allnic Gel based tube dampers and all my tube microphonic issues just vanished. I am just in awe of this as there is absolutely no tube noise being amplified at ALL! All my XRCDs sound even better now and the noise floor just dropped intensely. Mind you, the original tubes were absolutely silent, but I love the Amperex sound for the B52 and the only thing that bothered me was some of the tube microphony. ALL GONE
wink.gif
Clean as a whistle.

Here is a link to the dampers:
Absorb-GEL Vacuum Tube Dampers

Amazing product and worked out well for my system.

Happy listening folks.

~Gaurav

interesting product.

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #81 of 87
shaizada, you've got yourself a hell of an amp
biggrin.gif

I've heard through these on few occasions now; best setup I've ever heard in my life included these, Balanced 650 and a meridian 808 transport.... Just stunning.

How is your B-52 developing through these months?

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #82 of 87
Though this thread is so many years old, I feel I should mention that this is one piece of gear that I STILL own!  I went through so much equipment since and this B-52 is STILL relevant to my headphone listening.
We don't hear much from Ray anymore around these parts, but hats off to you sir.  This product has survived the tide of time like nothing else I have owned in audio so far.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #83 of 87
how is the b52 comparing to the apache? :)

i actually really have been thinking about this and the apache, on and off for the years.  i read a lot on the b52 and the apache.  i know the b52 is better in almost every way but i do like the apache to be able to amp iems.  i don't know if it's a must but i do enjoy my iems balanced sometimes(jh16, 1964q and uerm) using my rp010b.  on the other hand or more importantly, i always like how the grados sound with rsa xp-7 and sr71/sr71a.  probably this big boy....i don't know.......

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #84 of 87
This is really not the amp for IEMs.  Frankly, the Apache or other amps out there would be better suited for IEM's.  If you have the RP010b, then keep that for the IEMs.  If the off chance you like Sennheisers (600, 650, 800), this amp is a god sent for them.  Grado's are not the right headphone for this amp either, but that is my personal opinion (GS1000, RS1, SR325, HF-1, PS1000, PS1000e).  Grado's need a special amp suited to their sound signature, taming that top end, bringing up the mids and give a more organic bass response.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the B52 is better than the Apache in every way sonically...I owned both.  The Apache has the advantage to work with IEM's, if that floats your boat.  

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #85 of 87
i know you have/had both and i see the conversation on the thread years ago asked you a lot comparing the two, that why i asked that just as a greeting/humor, and failed :)

i read a lot about this amp, and sounds great with the hd600. i read ray made this amp, and a lot of his amp using hd600.  i somehow enjoy ray's amps with grados(and ultrasone) most(strange i know), like sr71a with sr80i, p51 with sr125i and sr225i with xp7.  i still have my rp010b(and keeping it, getting an rsa amp or not) and the rp010b sounds great with iems, and gs1000i.  that's why i am leaning toward the b52.  i have a wa5 and a studio six.  they both sound great on certain grados but something's missing.  i can't explain it but those 2 amps just don't have that, thing, that i like when using the xp7 or the sr71a with the grados. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #86 of 87
You seem to have your bases covered pretty well with all the amps :)

Now, understand that the Senn's seem to really benefit when run balanced.  I don't know, but they do.  If you would be interested in a RSA Raptor, I have a friend who could be convinced to part with his (he is heavy into speaker based rigs now, so I think I can request him to sell his).  The Raptor is single ended, but does have a lot of the B52 sound (B52 has bigger, more robust power supply).  But I doubt you will find a RSA B52 used, as that might be the best way to save some funds.  Else, buying new is the only option, though I haven't seen Ray being active lately with RSA.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #87 of 87
  You seem to have your bases covered pretty well with all the amps :)

Now, understand that the Senn's seem to really benefit when run balanced.  I don't know, but they do.  If you would be interested in a RSA Raptor, I have a friend who could be convinced to part with his (he is heavy into speaker based rigs now, so I think I can request him to sell his).  The Raptor is single ended, but does have a lot of the B52 sound (B52 has bigger, more robust power supply).  But I doubt you will find a RSA B52 used, as that might be the best way to save some funds.  Else, buying new is the only option, though I haven't seen Ray being active lately with RSA.

i heard the raptor a few years back and it was a very long time ago, i don't even remember what headphones i was using, i don't even remember how it sounded but my impression was good. 

as the sennheisers, i'm not so sure if they sing better balanced or single ended.  to me, it's just different.  both of my single ended tube amps sound so very musical and the balanced ss amp, gsx-mk2, sounds so spacious and precise and the details.  i like them both.  maybe the b-52 can have the best of both worlds? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back