The Bomber (RSA B52 Devastation)
Mar 25, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #31 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really
smily_headphones1.gif
The HD600/650, AKG K701 sound mind blowing with the B52. You can include the DT880s in that list as well.

Don't worry, I believe you.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the L3000s aren't easy to come by, he may never be able to replace them!

I'm going to stay out of this...lol
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i suspect the answer to both, Apache over HR2 and B52 over Apache, is: a lot.
biggrin.gif

ugh. Why does it cost so much to get jaw dropping & total euphoria sound? I'd need to get a 2000 grand plus amp to really better my HR-2.. But thats a no go with my current income.. I already lost 4,000 since 06.. In hindsight, knowing what I know now I would have just saved the 4 grand & buy the Apache..

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah ... the catch 22.

maybe instead of using my next bonus from work to add to my 401K and pay off bills, i'll be reckless and spend it all on an amp. that would be fun, and probably stupid - but fun. or keep the L3000 and sell all (or most of) my other dynamic headphones. combined they should be enough. another idea.

Sell the Apache & your other cans.. The L3000 are very rare..

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #34 of 87
I don't think they are THAT rare. They come up every now and then for sale. However, at the price these cans command, a speaker rig really can outperform them dollar for dollar.

But thats just another topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Having said that David, let me know when you sell your L3000!
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #35 of 87
Once upon a time there was this music lover named 4N6 who after a long time away, stumbled into a familiar listening room. Now 4N6 had been reading in Head-Fi about how wonderful the B-52 was with balanced headphones, but could not quite remember how they sounded. So, thought 4N6, "I wonder if I should try a few of these headphones sitting here?"

Not seeing anyone else around, 4N6 picked up an Ultrasone Edition 9 and turned on some Tab Benoit. "Hmmmm, this headphone is a little warm and lumpy" thought 4N6. Now, 4N6 spotted some Beyerdynamic DT880's, and decided to try those. "Clean and clear" said 4N6, "but a little too bright and edgy." Although somewhat disheartened by these previous two headphones, 4N6 saw in the corner another headphone. "Hmmmm, the Sennheiser HD650. I have been hearing good things about these." Still not seeing anyone around, 4N6 put them on. "Ooooohhh, this is nice. Not too bright, not too warm. Just right..."

Quickly the hour passed and the CD came to an end. But 4N6, now warmly snuggled up with the Sennheiser headphones put on another CD, and via the wonderful B-52, listened happily ever after.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #37 of 87
Quote:

Agreed. The Senns come into their own with the B52.

~G

Yea, from everything I've read about the B-52, that seems to be the case. I really like the idea of having a flexible amp that is extremely good with nearly every headphone. It seems like the B-52 and ZD are two amps that can do this.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #38 of 87
Welcome to the club! The B-52 has totally transformed my headphone listening experience. I’ve heard a number of different amps, all from highly thought of manufacturers, and I wouldn’t trade the B-52 for any of them. IMO, it’s Ray’s undisputed masterpiece and an absolute work of art, both sonically and aesthetically. And Mr. Samuels is a true prince among men, which made a lot of difference in my purchasing decision.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #39 of 87
I wrote a massively nice post and it just disappeared!

Well here are a few notes in a nutshell:

1) Plug her directly into the wall with a normal power cable. She doesn't like any power conditioning or large bulky cables with big input capacitance.

2) Unplug any unused inputs and outputs. I would suggest covering them up with the Cardas RCA/XLR covers. They will block random EMI/RFI from corrupting the signal in any way. Unplug headphones when using as preamp and vice versa for a more pure sound quality. I learnt this the hard way.

3) Buy the Senns. They amp sounds AMAZING with them. I know this might be a known fact, but I just had to reinforce that. Buy your favourite balanced cable and hear the magic. I love the Stefan Arts Equinox.

4) Start building a speaker rig if you can. Headphones can't compete with soundstaging and imaging like speakers no matter what you do. Its ok to go slow and steady, but everyone must experience the preamp capabilities of the beast. UNREAL!

5) For a speaker rig, make sure you work on room treatments. Bass traps, First reflection points and tricorners. The room is easily 50% of the sound and you're not hearing your systems full potential without dealing with the room.

I'll post more later as I get better acquainted with the beast. I'm positively in love as I now experience the EMOTIONS of the music, the thoughts of the musician and atmosphere of the avenue.

~GRV

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #40 of 87
Yes, some amps do not like power conditioning, regardless of the actual current draw. I have some mono amps that do very well with conditioning buy my preamp that I built with two big power supplies on umbilicals but drawing less current does not and not matter how many and how great the conditioners just closes in so a good power cord and it performs like no other preamps I have heard.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

B52a.jpg

Thank god and head-fi for a beautiful and thoughtful musical journey...I loved every moment of it starting from my Tangent Meta42.

~G

PS:- I rolled in some Amperex 7062 in place of the already excellent sounding stock 12AU7 tubes. The 3D soundstage exploded and is the reason behind my trembling hands and racing thoughts about the amp.

Man what a beautiful amp. Congrats on the purchase.

Here's a few NOS tube types suggestions to roll into your new B52.....

Try some RCA clear tops from the early 50's, some say this is the best 12AU7 ever made. RCA Command series 12AX7's would be a match made in heaven with the B52 IMHO. Another great 12AU7 is a 50's ( see a trend here ) vintage Sylvania gold/yellow label.

Keep smiling......
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #42 of 87
I have found the 12AU7 clear top to have a slightly bright side to it. Some like it a lot and as usual it depends upon the complimenting tubes.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #43 of 87
I have a Cary SLP-05 tube preamplifier coming via FedEx and should be here by Tuesday. This should make for an EXTREMELY interesting comparison to my B-52 as there are many similarities, and a few distinct differences, between the two. Both are fully balanced tube-based preamps and headphone amps with external power supplies. Both offer two balanced inputs and a set of balanced outputs. The B-52 uses 12AU7's, 12AX7's for the preamp section and 5687's for the headphone, while the SLP-05 uses 6SN7's for all tubes. Rectification is solid state for the B-52, while the Cary uses tube rectification. Most importantly (to us headphone nuts, that is) is that the B-52 can drive single ended AND balanced headphones while the Cary only does single ended.

I am getting some NOS Pope 6SN7's in the mail soon also that are said to be awesome with Cary preamps. I also just received some NOS Mullard 12AU7's (CV4003) and Mullard 12AX7's (CV4004) for the B-52.

Should be the makings for a fun comparison. More to come!

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #45 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Cary SLP-05 tube preamplifier coming via FedEx and should be here by Tuesday. This should make for an EXTREMELY interesting comparison to my B-52 as there are many similarities, and a few distinct differences, between the two. Both are fully balanced tube-based preamps and headphone amps with external power supplies. Both offer two balanced inputs and a set of balanced outputs. The B-52 uses 12AU7's, 12AX7's for the preamp section and 5687's for the headphone, while the SLP-05 uses 6SN7's for all tubes. Rectification is solid state for the B-52, while the Cary uses tube rectification. Most importantly (to us headphone nuts, that is) is that the B-52 can drive single ended AND balanced headphones while the Cary only does single ended.

I am getting some NOS Pope 6SN7's in the mail soon also that are said to be awesome with Cary preamps. I also just received some NOS Mullard 12AU7's (CV4003) and Mullard 12AX7's (CV4004) for the B-52.

Should be the makings for a fun comparison. More to come!

I'm really looking forward to these impressions. I've always loved the look of that particular Cary unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back