The Bomber (RSA B52 Devastation)
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 87
Congrats on getting a TERRIFIC Headphone Amp/Preamp!!! I love mine and am always amazed at the sound quality.

My only small quibble is the large loudness changes at the bottom range of the stepped attenuator. There must be a different balanced attenuator out there that sounds as good but uses smaller dB steps, especially in the low volume range of its use. Again, this is just a small gripe that has no effect on the fabulous sound quality.

Enjoy!

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #17 of 87
mitchb, the move to the B52 will be a revelation and that is something I can promise. The beauty is further enhanced with its use as a preamp in a speaker rig and the emotionality it will instill within your listening habits. The B52 transformed my headphone listening and speaker setup into hardware with passion and soul. I simply connect to the music and all else just disappears. I used to imagine that feeling in my mind while my system was growing, but when I suddenly attained it, I realized I'm near the end of my system setup.

The soul of the music is the most important thing to me from my setup:

- Reimyo source. I had heard 909s CDP 777 and was blown away. It was digital that sounded analog. Just natural and with all details present in a wholesome manner. Best darn redbook I've ever heard and I have heard them all that I cared for (Esoteric P & D-03/P & D-05, APL Esoteric, dCS, Accustic Arts Tube DAC, Meridian 808, Audio Note Dac 4.1). So I bought the Reimyo DAC and had it upgraded by the Upgrade Company. I needed the DAC for the flexibility of using a hard drive based setup. To my ears, it outdid the Reimyo CDP777 in my setup. The flexibility of lossless files and the Reimyo magic rolled into one. Perfecto! I stopped looking for source upgrades as I felt that I hit a gold mine. Sometime in life, I might look into a Zanden transport/dac because I feel there is another "soul" there I would like. For now, to my ears and for my listening tastes, the Reimyo is perfect.

-Omega Superhemp speakers. Single driver, crossoverless speakers. Again the theme is soul and emotion and these speakers have them in spades. All the music is intact and in one piece and my room is simply filled with sound.

-Ray Samuels B52. The tube preamp that put it all together for me. After the Reimyo, this is probably the single other audio purchase that I feel fortunate to own. I got the amp and god willing, I don't think I will ever look back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are very fortunate. "Happy Listening"

Thanks! Definitely a blessing to hear this kind of sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought there was a shelf behind your B52 with knick-knacks on it (small collectibles) in front of a window, until i realized it was the bottom tool bar on your Mac screen...lol.

I only thought it for a second.

Nice amp, id love to hear one. I heard the Apache at meets, but im hardly ever impressed with anything at meets because its just too rushed and noisy there.

The only things that ever impressed me at meets so far is Woo Audio amps, and the little Cowan Iaudio 7 .

Having the B52 amp section right in front of me really helps. The only problem was the glass table, but I fixed that with some curly maple blocks under the amp section. The power section has the block as well but its placed on the Rack which is hidden behind my monitor. I have a laptop/screen/audio system all rolled into one for extreme flexibility.

Ideally, I would love to have a separate room JUST for audio, but I do most of my listening at my desktop so it just made sense to setup this way.

~GRV

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on getting a TERRIFIC Headphone Amp/Preamp!!! I love mine and am always amazed at the sound quality.

My only small quibble is the large loudness changes at the bottom range of the stepped attenuator. There must be a different balanced attenuator out there that sounds as good but uses smaller dB steps, especially in the low volume range of its use. Again, this is just a small gripe that has no effect on the fabulous sound quality.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I completely understand where you are coming from regarding the loudness steps through the DACT attenuator. Getting the right click setting can be hard.

The 12AU7 has a gain of 20. Maybe there is a tube substitute out there with the exact same pinout but a lower gain. It might be wise to consult the tube gurus on this board. Do post if you find out anything and I will do the same.

The gain can be controlled through the input tube gain so I'm sure its possible. Its just a matter of finding the appropriate tube.

Oh by the way, try some Amperex 7062 or Amperex 12AU7 Bugle boys. The sound is easily better than the stock 12AU7 as much as I love the stock sound. Amperex brought in bigger and better sound stage. Just a very slightly wet sweetness to the sound...like quality swiss chocolate. Just a small amount would satisfy.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #19 of 87
There is a resistor kit of 6 resistors from DACT that can change the attenuation to a lower volume to begin with and a more even one. I have done this with my dact but the chips are like dust they are so small. It was worth it though I later converted my DACT to a bypass attenuator, which is even better as only one resistor is in the signal path.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, how much better than apache?

The question should be. How much better is the Apache then the HR-2
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah. No need to take this thread that far off topic.

Congrats shaizada! I'm looking forward to the day when I finally get to sample the B52.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

i suspect the answer to both, Apache over HR2 and B52 over Apache, is: a lot.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #24 of 87
damn. i need some tube goodness.

anyone have 5k they can lend me.
biggrin.gif
if i sold my apache and my recently acquired L3000, that would be close to what i need. i would really hate (really hate) to part with the L3000, but i would need to get the money from somewhere. rob a bank, maybe. hmm. i wish i had something lying around which was really expensive but i didn't use.

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #26 of 87
Quote:

damn. i need some tube goodness.

anyone have 5k they can lend me.
biggrin.gif
if i sold my apache and my recently acquired L3000, that would be close to what i need. i would really hate (really hate) to part with the L3000, but i would need to get the money from somewhere. rob a bank, maybe. hmm. i wish i had something lying around which was really expensive but i didn't use.

Lol! This is exactly how I think when I want a new toy...what in my house can I sell.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #27 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did u really sell the L3000?

If not, lets talk! PM me
smily_headphones1.gif
I might just get it from u.

~GRV

it's not sold. just thinking out loud. if i decide to go ahead and actually look for a B52 or buy one new, i will have to sell the L3000 to partially fund it. that plus my apache would just about cover it. an interesting idea.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 87
Quote:

it's not sold. just thinking out loud. if i decide to go ahead and actually look for a B52 or buy one new, i will have to sell the L3000 to partially fund it. that plus my apache would just about cover it. an interesting idea.

But...if you are going to pay $5000+ for an amp, it would make sense to have a very high end headphone on the other end of it. Just a thought..

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #29 of 87
Not really
smily_headphones1.gif
The HD600/650, AKG K701 sound mind blowing with the B52. You can include the DT880s in that list as well.

I think I'll pick up the 701 and 880/990 in balanced form again in a while.

~GRV

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #30 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But...if you are going to pay $5000+ for an amp, it would make sense to have a very high end headphone on the other end of it. Just a thought..

ah ... the catch 22.

maybe instead of using my next bonus from work to add to my 401K and pay off bills, i'll be reckless and spend it all on an amp. that would be fun, and probably stupid - but fun. or keep the L3000 and sell all (or most of) my other dynamic headphones. combined they should be enough. another idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back