The "blu-tack and cotton stuffing" ATH-ES7 Mod Thread! (56k Warning!)
Aug 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #32 of 38
Hello,
I have modded my ES7 last night but the result is not as positive as most of you guys. First I use Dynamat on the back of the cup. The cup's are covert entirely. I  than remove the yellow foam and applied some Dynamat in the back of the driver and left the middle open. I also replaced the cable and replace it with my old cable removed from my K701. Close everything and did a sound check #1 -> way to bassy and the mid and hight are to layed back now. Re-opened them and add the yellow foam back thinking it need to block some airflow. Sound check #2 -> Bit better but still the mid and highs are to recess. I also tried putting some coton more no good.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

*** Updated: I found out that I had connected one of the driver in reverse polarity. Sound is pretty damn good now Thank you. ***

Simon

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #33 of 38
confused_face(1).gif
 Anyone with some recommendations? (background noise of crickets) (See my previous post for details)

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #35 of 38

Quote:
pictures are dead! sad face.

Sorry about that, I didn't renew my website and forgot to put the pictures somewhere else. You can now find them at my dropbox account at the following link :

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/34049141/1/ES7%20Mod?h=2ca767

Hope this helps,

Squirsier

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #36 of 38
thanks...

i was going to do this at the same time as i recabled my es7s (the left channel had gone out) but i screwed up. now they are completely broken...

mad. finally had found a pair of headphones that i really loved and now i broke them and dont have the money to replace them.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #37 of 38
Sorry to bring this back up, but I'm starting to open my pair up for the first time. Does anyone know if that white paperish ring is of any importance (see the first pic in squirsier's dropbox)? It's immediately visible when you take the pads off, and in my pair seems to have started to fall apart. Didn't see anything about it in the thread so I thought I'd ask.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #38 of 38
New to me Es7 owner and tried this mod last night.  For my tastes it was not what I was going for.  It made my ES7s sound like a Horn driver, congested and way too mid forward.  What I have done for now is taken the blu-tak ring from the driver and put it the round opening on the back of the enclosure to hopefully deaden the metallic sound a bit and then put the round fiberglass back in.  I'm going to try this for a week, I have a new cable and new pads coming from AT to freshen them up (I bought them used).  I was hoping to tune my ES7s to be more like an ESW9.  I'm thinking the only way to get what I want is shell out the $220 for the ESW9s. 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back