The Black Metal Discussion Thread
Sep 21, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #76 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take Gorgoroth because I think Gaahl is a great person and I support what is being expressed / what agenda is being carried out in the music of Gorgoroth.

Gaahl is a tool, Gorgoroth isn't his, and he has no right. If it wasn't for his interview on headbanger's journey or whatever the hell it is, he wouldn't be as well known. He hasn't done anything astounding in his career.

Also I find Silencer incredibly boring, and the vocalist blows.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is trying to take Infernus' band. He tries to be this uber gr1m kvlt black metal guy but he has ties to major fashion designers. He screams poser tool.

Maybe those are gr1m kvlt black metal fashion designers?

He screams "wouuund upon wouuuund!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #80 of 94
So, basically, the entirety of your dislike of Gaahl is based on him not being a 'true' underground black metal dude? And your claims that he actually spends his existence "trying" to be like that?

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen his interviews, or read them? He is trying to TAKE gorgoroth from Infernus, it is Infernus' band. He is a tool, poser, and should be murdered.

Guess not many people care that much for the pink side of norwegian black metal socialite. And for a good reason.

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #83 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As it is, I don't consider any of these bands not to be black metal - but I consider them to be more than black metal. The black metal is of course there, but the ambient aspects are frequent as well as hints of other characteristics. Ambience (what a blanket term) surely serves as the most common splash with Black Metal but depending on the band, it can be as present if not more than the BM side of things - and so I think it's a distinction to be made

Labels and sub-genres are stoopid. And I haven't seen anyone take distinctions to such ridiculously silly lengths as metal fans.

"OMG you f'in noob! They are soooo not black metal! They are sub-atomical anagrammaticical symphonic viking-influenced spicy chicken Milton's-Satan-from-Paradise-Lost metal! Don't you know ANYTHING!?"

Like most all genres in metal I think there are certain traits in black metal that carry to most all bands; including the higher-pitched screech vocals, bad album production, a certain ambiance and a wall-of-sound type style. I mean, the band that supposedly coined the term (Venom) don't even sound like what would become black metal, especially the most influential Norwegian bands (which includes Emperor, Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum, Darkthrone etc.)

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"OMG you f'in noob! They are soooo not black metal! They are sub-atomical anagrammaticical symphonic viking-influenced spicy chicken Milton's-Satan-from-Paradise-Lost metal! Don't you know ANYTHING!?"

cordless

biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #86 of 94
I don't know, there's just something unconvincing about your taking a stance against labeling within a thread for Black Metal

"I think there are certain traits in black metal that carry to most all bands"

You're utilizing the use of the label just to tell me that we shouldn't be labeling

And nobody here is disliking a band based on their not being any specific category or style. Except for ZackP.

There's nothing wrong with identification, people
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #87 of 94
My anti-labeling bit was more or less tongue-in-cheek (hence, the exaggeration that folowed). Labels are necessary to an extent. I merely meant that some people - and especially among the "Like, HARDCORE, Dude!" types - take it much too far.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #89 of 94
How is that a bad thing? If someone plays a style of music you don't like, or plays one you like quite badly, and is a poser, you shouldn't like them. Use your head, and realize that Gaahl is a total dick.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #90 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Labels and sub-genres are stoopid. And I haven't seen anyone take distinctions to such ridiculously silly lengths as metal fans.

You must have never delved into electronic music very deeply. Pretty much every artist has their own genre there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back