The Black Metal Discussion Thread
Aug 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #46 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand what they mean........
Burzum is much more repetitive, simple and monochromatic especially the early work, Wolves is same family as Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Isis etc.
If there is any worship going on it is Neurosis worship
redface.gif

confused_face_2.gif
Sorry, but your comment is just utterly incomprehensible. Specifically, which Neurosis album is being worshipped on Twelve Hunters? Maybe I don't have that one.

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #48 of 94
Quote:

Change that worship to Isis - Oceanic/Panopticon

Seriously, have you really listened to Burzum that much? I mean it's not just my opinion here. Read the WITTR reviews on Metal Archives and see how many of them mention the Burzum influence (versus Neurosis, Isis, or whoever else).

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #49 of 94
I definitely see the Burzum influences in WITTR, but I also see the Neurosis and Isis worship going on as well.

I think I never became much of a Burzum fan just because I experienced Wolves first. Burzum is certainly a good band, I just don't subscribe to fanboy status with them.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #50 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I never became much of a Burzum fan just because I experienced Wolves first.

confused_face_2.gif
This is the opposite of how it should work. When I realize that a band I like is for all intents and purposes a "worship" band (in this case worship of Burzum), I head straight for the source. Most of the time - with very rare exception - it turns out the source is actually much better. I don't blame anyone for being exposed to WITTR first - it's not surprising given their almost pop-like scenester status these days. But for goddsake, let's take the time, put a little extra effort in, pull up our sleeves, and dig up these older albums. It's really not that hard, what with the interweb and stuff. And it shouldn't stop with Burzum. They were heavily influenced by bands like Hellhammer (later Celtic Frost) and Bathory from the early to mid 80's. If you follow that whole chain, you'll see that WITTR are really just re-hashing a lot of stuff that's been done before - and mostly better. Sorry. That's just how I see it (well, hear it). Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those WITTR-bashers. I like their stuff. It's just some of these reviews I see that talk about how "groundbreaking" or "original" they are must be on crack.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #52 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WitTR is incredibly overrated, and boring.

EZ + ZP make good points, ZP is perhaps a bit harsh to make his point but I am also not a huge fan of Wolves in Throne Room.

Burzum albums (before prison) from Aske -> Filosofem typically consist of one or two atmospheric ambient tracks sandwiched among the typical Burzum track which is a repetitive distorted drone like field and typical BM rasp vocal.
Good for what it is but gets boring, the ambient atmosphere tracks help make albums more diverse and interesting overall.

I think the more integrated Isis ambient/metal style used during middle albums Oceanic/Panopticon was more influential to WITTR than any Burzum work........not that it really matters since no one seem that crazy about them anyway
redface.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #55 of 94
Emperor are GODS.

Everyone get Weakling's Dead as Dreams if you don't have it. It's the best black metal and one of the best metal albums ever, period.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #56 of 94
It's very nice yeah, but I think I wouldn't call it the best Black Metal album, but definately one of the better ones.

Edit: Btw. what do people here think about Enslaved's new album? I have to listen more intensely into it but there are some godlike moments anyway.

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #57 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Btw. what do people here think about Enslaved's new album? I have to listen more intensely into it but there are some godlike moments anyway.

Not available here in USA yet, but I have thier complete catalog and nothing is less than very good so I will definitely be buying it. Last album Ruun was very good and continues thier refreshing "progressive" black metal style

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #58 of 94
Quote:

Not available here in USA yet, but I have thier complete catalog and nothing is less than very good so I will definitely be buying it. Last album Ruun was very good and continues thier refreshing "progressive" black metal style

They went a step further from Ruun, more into the Progressive side on the new one. I find it very good but I'm not good enough with words so check it out here:

Metal Invader ( Enslaved - Vertebrae ) Review.

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #59 of 94
Hmm.. some black metal albums I enjoy that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet:

Abigor - Verwüstung - Invoke The Dark Age
Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - The Mantle
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Anaal Nathrakh - Domine Non Es Dignus
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty and All the Devils Are Here
Dødheimsgard - 666 International
Dødheimsgard - Supervillian Outcast
Dornenreich - Hexenwind
Dornenreich - Durch Den Traum
Dornenreich - In Luft geritzt (this one really isn't black metal, it's folk like Ulver - Kveldssanger)
Klabautamann - Our Journey Through The Woods
Klabautamann - Der Ort
Maleficentia - Under The Banner Of Suffering
Nachtmystium - Nachtmystium
Nerthus - Black Medieval Art
Order Of The Ebon Hand - XV The Devil
Thorns - Thorns
Tvangeste - Firestorm
Ved Buens Ende... - Those Who Caress The Pale
Wyrd - Rota

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread