The Black Metal Discussion Thread
Jul 31, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #16 of 94
well, I don't know if we'll say its kvlt, since some of the deliberately poor production is borderline mocking, but I'd say more hardcore black metal is the focus of the black metal discussion thread.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, Dimmu Borgir's stuff are symphonic/melodic black metal, some of their stuff are barely listenable black metal IMHO, but it is still black metal. COF is a mix of gothic\black\death.

Dimmu Borgir songs sound like the theme to the Batman animated series.

Among everything they've released, you might be able to cull together an album's worth of stuff that isn't tripe, and it still wouldn't be good. CoF on the other hand... not even one song.

There's a reason that five of the 101 rules of black metal are "Don't be Dani Filth".
tongue.gif

But seriously, if anyone hasn't heard that album I mentioned earlier (Basilisk - A Joyless March Through the Cold-Lands), do it now. Download it or do whatever you have to do.

Other recommendations for tr00 kvlt bm you may not know:

Hate Forest - Battlefields
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora (both pretty well known, but still, there may be some stragglers here)
Wehrhammer - Deutsche Sturmtruppen
Oubliette - Oubliette <and> Nadezda (both tape demos, but obtainable and downloadable)
Abandon (a.k.a. Hateful Abandon) - Never-Ending Black Torrent of Death (same vocalist as Basilisk, best black metal vocalist ever, hands down, no contest)
Forest - Like a Blaze Above the Ashes
Kristallnacht - Blooddrenched Memorial 1994-2002 (contains all their work, so get that)
Archgoat - Angel**** (terrible name but amaaaazing EP, lesser known associates of the famous band Beherit, whom you should know if you call yourself a black metal fan)

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #18 of 94
all right, all right, lets not get insulting to CoF, I still like them, they just aren't black metal.

Anyway, I recently picked up a few Judas Iscariot albums, and I'm really impressed. Anybody know another band with a similar style?

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #19 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I don't know if we'll say its kvlt, since some of the deliberately poor production is borderline mocking, but I'd say more hardcore black metal is the focus of the black metal discussion thread.

"No keyboards, No female vocals!"
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 94
XD lol, but by that logic, we'd have to exclude some pretty kvlt bands who have used female backing vocals...(I know there are like two or three, but I can't recall names).

I do like that quote being right at the top of their myspace though. Very appropriate.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XD lol, but by that logic, we'd have to exclude some pretty kvlt bands who have used female backing vocals...(I know there are like two or three, but I can't recall names).

I sure can't think of any...

Keyboards don't necessarily exclude a band from kvlt status, but they do in *a lot* of cases.

That said, Burzum made kvlt music with nothing but a MIDI keyboard, so it's definitely possible.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That said, Burzum made kvlt music with nothing but a MIDI keyboard, so it's definitely possible.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's true 100% of the time (Summoning also come to mind as a counter example), but I love Maniac Butcher for saying it, nevertheless. BTW, if anyone hasn't heard their Cerna Krev album, do so. Like immediately.

Edit: Come to think of it, Menace Ruine break both of these rules, but I would definitely recommend checking them out. Their latest album Cult of Ruins (2008) is one of the better bm releases so far this year.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #23 of 94
I suppose I'm a bit boring and unadventurous, but I still havent heard anything better than The Shadowthrone or Nemesis Divina by Satyricon in terms of just pure black metal (im sure there are some who will probably even debate that). There are other bands that I like in the genre but these two CD's are still the top of of the heap for me and they currently reside in my favorite albums ever list. Theyre great from front to back, whereas lots of other black metal bands, I'll like a few songs on the cd or half the cd or just none at all.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose I'm a bit boring and unadventurous, but I still havent heard anything better than The Shadowthrone or Nemesis Divina by Satyricon in terms of just pure black metal (im sure there are some who will probably even debate that). There are other bands that I like in the genre but these two CD's are still the top of of the heap for me and they currently reside in my favorite albums ever list. Theyre great from front to back, whereas lots of other black metal bands, I'll like a few songs on the cd or half the cd or just none at all.

Hear that Basilisk album I've mentioned a few times.

Also, I think Dark Medieval Times was their best work. Nemesis is good in a kind of head-bobbing sing song way, but DMT I find the more substantial work.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hear that Basilisk album I've mentioned a few times.

Also, I think Dark Medieval Times was their best work. Nemesis is good in a kind of head-bobbing sing song way, but DMT I find the more substantial work.

Getting it now. I'll report back late tonight after I've given it some listening time.

I must respectfully disagree with your opinion on Satyricon though.
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 94
Just thought I'd throw out a list of the black metal I've been enjoying lately that's come out so far this year and last year too. The ones from 2007 all come recommended by me. Some the of 2008 ones it's still a bit too soon to tell, still need to give them a few more listens.
wink.gif

2007:
Akercocke - Antichrist (Black/Death)
Bergraven - Dödsvisioner
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
Drudkh - Estrangement
Farsot - IIII
Helrunar - Baldr ok Íss
Ne Obliviscaris - The Auorora Veil
Peste Noire - Folk**** Folie
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Rotting Christ - Theogonia
Sear Bliss - The Arcane Odyssey
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
Smohalla - Nova Persei
Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows
Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

2008:
A Forest of Stars - The Corpse of Rebirth
Celestia - Frigidiis Apotheosia : Abstinencia Genesiis
Dantalion - Call of the Broken Souls
Darkspace - Dark Space III
Emancer - Twilight and Randomness
Krallice - Krallice
Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life
Mirrorthrone - Gangrene
Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle Part I

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #27 of 94
I'm somewhat of a fan of Black Metal, but I haven't heard enough to call myself a true black metal listener yet. Mostly partial to the usual ones, Burzum, Deathspell Omega, Moonblood and the like. One recommendation I'd give is Cobalt - Eater of Birds. It's a pretty decent album, enjoyed it quite a bit.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #28 of 94
Negura Bunget is the best modern black metal band, bar none. in 10-20 years, we will look back and realize just how amazing Om was.

Hey guys, how about we just make a metal discussion thread, it will be less clutter, and will limit the threads I have to read :p

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #29 of 94
Quote:

Hey guys, how about we just make a metal discussion thread, it will be less clutter, and will limit the threads I have to read :p

When we are discussing about, for example, Burzum, I doubt we would want to see random posts about Nightwish. So, this is to avoid clutter because metal is quite a bit genre-cluttered music.

But yeah, Om is pretty amazing album.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 94
This is a very limited style of music that easily slip into worthless repetitive noise.....which 95% of new modern Black Metal is.
The ancient ones introduced the style and moved on, does not lend itself to endless exploration.
I especially avoid any one man "studio" black metal release........

There is a tiny select group today that can still pay proper homage to the ancient ones:

Watain
Deathspell Omega
Taake
Drudkh
Negura Bunget

I don't spend much time listening to this style, have all the original major works but prefer more diverse offerings, almost all of the the ancient ones who started as pure black metal have evolved to other styles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back