The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Oct 8, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #91 of 1,323
I've picked up one of these, and firmly told the girlfriend "i'm not buying any new headphone equipment for 3 months". The DT1350s are replacing my Audio Technica ES7's for listening in the office and on-the-go. I haven't noticed the 'fitting issues' that others have described. Regarding comfort, I left them around the cardboard box from my ALO Rx Mk2 overnight. They seemed to have stretched and lost some of the clamping force they came with. I am a glasses wearer, and it's definitely uncomfortable if your ear is getting squished between the glasses' arms and the Beyers.

I've gotten over my initial 'analytical listening' phase, where I tried to compare it against my other headphones, and settled in to enjoying it. Definitely a keeper for me.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #92 of 1,323
Yes, it is, the only way it could perhaps be improved is by equalizing it. I don't know a headphone that's closer to the ideal than these yet.
Would have to be this: (Source: InnerFidelity)

Green line is the corrected measurement-head-corrected averaged response (you can get my HRTF difference from the dummy head's easily from that), Blue line is the corrected raw response.
Both are drawn by hand from the final eq curve - they're definitely off in places. Blue one is more accurately drawn.

The challenge now is to find or construct the equalizer for these in a portable form, preferably including a good amplifier.
--
For curious, final eq is this (completely not based on the measured response, done by ear with many sine tones):

The subbass adjustment might be due to my natural bone conduction ear resonances - seems quite similar in most headphones and IEMs. Time to add that part to the HRTF chart perhaps.

There must be some headphone closer to it, but I can't find any just yet. Perhaps it's still to come...

The main constituent of the apparent missing highs feeling is the 3-7kHz cut. The dropout around 11,8k is far less noticeable, sounds like a timbre change, from heavier to lighter and more precise. An approximation using 10 band graphic eq is suprisingly accurate by ear, but of course doesn't come close to the above equalization.

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #93 of 1,323
I tried out the dt1350 in a store here numerous times and I must say I have become a fan! I can't describe the sound now but I do prefer it over the hd25-1. I am thinking of purchasing it over the holiday season as I think they are way up there compared to my ATH-M50s

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #94 of 1,323
Very different sound compared to the M50s, though.  I think they compliment each other nicely.

Quote:
I tried out the dt1350 in a store here numerous times and I must say I have become a fan! I can't describe the sound now but I do prefer it over the hd25-1. I am thinking of purchasing it over the holiday season as I think they are way up there compared to my ATH-M50s

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #95 of 1,323
EddieE posted a great review of the DT-1350 here:
post #1065

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #96 of 1,323
Check out the Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon recable job using double entry:

Click to see the image larger.  These are incredible in how they sound in my opinion with the Foster HP-P1.
SN 13k+

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #97 of 1,323
Looking pretty sexy, grats.

Quote:
Check out the Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon recable job using double entry:

Click to see the image larger.  These are incredible in how they sound in my opinion with the Foster HP-P1.
SN 13k+

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #100 of 1,323

Quote:
Can any DT1350 owner please kindly tell me how you feel when you use the DT1350 for running and gymming?

Not the greatest headphone for exercising with most headphones aren't great for running and weight lifting etc. Wouldn't an IEM be a better idea?

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #101 of 1,323

Quote:
Can any DT1350 owner please kindly tell me how you feel when you use the DT1350 for running and gymming?

I wouldn't use them that way.  Pads will get slick, grip is good, but not good enough...  Only non-cheap headphone I'd consider in the gym or running would be the HD25-1-II with a bunch of spare velor pads.  Those things are bullet proof, completely rebuild-able and sound great.  I use earbuds (stock apple or yuin PK3's) or iem's when I'm doing active stuff.  Ear buds are my top choice for active use.  IEM's get kinda slick from sweat. (ewwww...)

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #102 of 1,323
Not to mention the noise the 1350's cable makes when it's rubbing on stuff: it can be distracting even if you're just sitting down with it, or walking. I'd imagine that if I tried to run in them, all I'd hear is the cable rubbing on my clothes.

Quote:
I wouldn't use them that way.  Pads will get slick, grip is good, but not good enough...  Only non-cheap headphone I'd consider in the gym or running would be the HD25-1-II with a bunch of spare velor pads.  Those things are bullet proof, completely rebuild-able and sound great.  I use earbuds (stock apple or yuin PK3's) or iem's when I'm doing active stuff.  Ear buds are my top choice for active use.  IEM's get kinda slick from sweat. (ewwww...)

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #103 of 1,323
Well! Before having the intention of buying an On-the-ear Portable Headphone like HD25-II or DT1350 for running, i indeed used my IE8 sometime my PK1 for exercising.
However, the IE8 made me feel not so comfortable as my ears sweat a lot and the IE8 fill up my ears' hole. That prevented air flowing in and out.
Meanwhile, the PK1 suffer from weak isolation.
Therefore, i consider buying the DT1350 but as you recommend, it is not that good for running. I may take a look at the HD25.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #104 of 1,323
Very excited about these.

Does anyone have any comment on wearing them with a winter cap?

I'm looking for a new pair of 'phones to commute with, and i'm wondering if these'll play well with my "skull cap"... doesn't cover my ears, but may still get in the way.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #105 of 1,323
I'm not quite sure.  What's the cap made out of?

The 1350 have lots of places where a lose knit or weave could get get stuck on them.  If its thin and doesn't have a lose weave you could probably wear the 1350s over it just fine but I don't have any caps like that to test with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back